Leave Ship, Spend 2 Nights off Ship, and then Reboard Ship?

CabinBoy2020

I'll be on the Moon in Nov/Dec 2023 for 3 weeks.  I want to leave the ship in Ashdod, Israel and spend two nights in Jerusalem.  I would then reboard the ship in Haifa, Israel. The cities are all within 1-2 hours drive.  I've asked my TA who has contacted Silversea, but we have not received an answer.  Has anyone done something similar?  Does Silversea permit this if cleared in advance?  This will be my first Silversea cruise.  I appreciate your help!

Bill

16 hours ago, CabinBoy2020 said:

I'll be on the Moon in Nov/Dec 2023 for 3 weeks.  I want to leave the ship in Ashdod, Israel and spend two nights in Jerusalem.  I would then reboard the ship in Haifa, Israel. The cities are all within 1-2 hours drive.  I've asked my TA who has contacted Silversea, but we have not received an answer.  Has anyone done something similar?  Does Silversea permit this if cleared in advance?  This will be my first Silversea cruise.  I appreciate your help!   Bill

YES!!  Very smart and wise to do such overnights on major cruise journeys where the overnight stop are significant.  

In 2018, as detailed below on my life/blog, we spent the night in Jerusalem.  Worked super well and saved logistical time, plus allowing more needed flexibility to explore in and around amazing Jerusalem.  On that same cruise, we also did an overnight off of the ship in Luxor.  The cruise lines just needed to be notified and aware of your plans for being off of the ship.

With Silversea on the Silver Cloud, we did an overnight off of the ship to spend more time at two South Africa National Parks.  Also, it was amazing and allowed us to see and do so much more.  This includes exciting night and early am/sunrise experiences.  

A few will say that you are missing the meals, etc., you paid for on the ship. True, but for us and many, being able to explore such great ports and exciting locations works out so much better.  Be adventuresome and creative!!  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,608 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CabinBoy2020 said:

Thank you, Terry.  Much appreciated.  BTW, I'm considering the Ava Hotel in Athens.  I see from your informative review that you stayed there.  

That Athens hotel, both for its personal service and great location gets high, well-deserved marks.  We have stayed there twice, plus over time, they have consistently gain high rankings. Good luck for your upcoming adventure.  Don't be shy in letting us know any and all questions.  

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 50,560 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@TLCOhio We booked the Ava for our October trip.  I think the need to start giving you a referral fee.😀

Great idea!!  I knew you were smart and savvy.  This proves it.  

• Like 1

@CabinBoy2020 I suggest you still pursue getting your plan okayed by Silversea — and getting it in writing. What was allowed in the past, prior to Covid, may or may not be allowed now due to Covid or other security protocols which didn't exist in the past. Hopefully it's not a problem, but you need Silversea's blessing to execute your plans without any worries. 

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

@CabinBoy2020 I suggest you still pursue getting your plan okayed by Silversea — and getting it in writing. What was allowed in the past, prior to Covid, may or may not be allowed now due to Covid or other security protocols which didn't exist in the past. Hopefully it's not a problem, but you need Silversea's blessing to execute your plans without any worries. 

Absolutely!  They haven't responded to my TA, so we will follow up.  

Bill

@labrasett I'd just note that there's a difference between an organized multi-day land excursion offered by the cruise line and an individual customer going ashore for a few days and rejoining the cruise in a different port. Both the cruise lines and the local authorities may or may not have rules about doing so.

On 2/26/2023 at 6:50 AM, TLCOhio said:

That Athens hotel, both for its personal service and great location gets high, well-deserved marks.  We have stayed there twice, plus over time, they have consistently gain high rankings. Good luck for your upcoming adventure.  Don't be shy in letting us know any and all questions.  

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 50,560 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Hi TLCOhio:

I happened to run across this yesterday.  Very timely!  And now we too are booked at Ava, so I wanted to thank you.  I will make sure they add to your referral account!

I believe we will be joining highplanesdrifters on their cruise.

18 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

Hi TLCOhio:

I happened to run across this yesterday.  Very timely!  And now we too are booked at Ava, so I wanted to thank you.  I will make sure they add to your referral account!

I believe we will be joining highplanesdrifters on their cruise.

We're actually on Seabourn Encore.  But hope to see you at the Ava so we can toast Terry!

I'd expect there will be no issue. We spent two nights at a hotel in Hong Kong then a further night at a hotel in Bangkok, both in the last week taking a break from the ship during the world cruise. We were amongst quite a few. We had to sign a waiver that we'd be responsible if we missed the ship. We also had to sign out our passports. 

17 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

Hi TLCOhio:   I happened to run across this yesterday.  Very timely!  And now we too are booked at Ava, so I wanted to thank you.  I will make sure they add to your referral account!    I believe we will be joining highplanesdrifters on their cruise.

Great to hear that both DTtravelers and highplanesdrifters will be on the same cruise.  Sounds exciting and fun!  

Great point by our Philadelphia suburban neighbor about "Both the cruise lines and the local authorities may or may not have rules about doing so."  In most cases, it will all work out fine, but doing the proper advance notification/research is important. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,290 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Like 1