Princess Disasters

nymshowdown

My hubby had told me about the Diamond/Sapphire switch long before we went on the Sapphire (in its third month of sailing).

We also went on the Ectasy, back in 2002, after its incident.

From time to time we look at cruisejunkie. Our last cruise made it because a toddler went overboard while her inattentive mother was taking her off the ship in Ensenada.

No one has mentioned HAL's Princendam back a few decades that sank off the coast of Alaska. No casualties other than the ship.

How about Celebrity’s Meridian – after leaving the Celebrity fleet went down off the coast of Southeast Asia – I believe all aboard were put to the lifeboats and made it away from the ship alive.

And, there was Carnival ship that went out to sea to avoid a hurricane and the photos showed it plowing into the waves and having them break over the front and sides of the ship.

Here she is..... but there were two ships outrunnign the weather and as I understand there were only crew on them at the time.

463053568ZyeShy_ph.jpg.1d3a43469213140ccf38d0851d44ed5f.jpg

Don't forget the Golden's transatlantic several years ago when it hit such rough weather that many windows were broken.

We were on that voyage... it was no big deal. We just had plywood "windows" for a while. The upside was cruising past Statue of Liberty during the daytime rather than early AM.... we arrived about 7 hrs late.

other stories:

http://www.allatsea.co.za/disasters.htm

While I love Princess cruise lines, I have not heard half as many blunders from the actual operation of Princess ships that I have heard from other cruise lines. I don't know if Princess keeps them under wraps better or if they are just a safer line than the others.

I know that one of their west coast ships, I think it was the Diamond, hit a pier and damaged a propeller blade which caused the ship to shudder a bit when it went fast in Alaska the year before last.

I heard about the fire in the Japanese shipyard. They hadn't taken delivery of the ship yet and passengers were never in jeopardy so that's not really something you can hold against Princess. Plus they swapped the names and the ship was gutted and all the damage was removed long before Princess took delivery.

I don't think Japan will get another ship building contract from Princess again or any Carnival Corp cruise line after that fiasco. Italians build some kick butt ships. Plus, the Japanese couldn't figure out how to put the Skywalker's disco all the way aft so they piggy backed it up against the smokestacks. Oh well...

Now RCCL is just a nice cruise line, they love to smash piers with their ships!! :eek: (Grandeur of the Seas anyone?)

Did the Carnival board mention this ship? ;)

ecs.jpeg

new_boatfire.jpg

Your Homeric, was Homeric 1, I sailed on her in '55. After the fire she was replaced by Homeric 2 , which later became Westerdam 1, since retired by HAL, but still sailing. Homeric 2 was the first ship to have a retractable roof over a swimming pool. but she had on balconies. She was featured in Jack Lemmons' movie, 'Out to Sea' john

Titanic and Lusitania combined were not even close to the worst cruise ship disaster in Maritime history. The Wilhelm Gustloff went down in the Baltic Sea in Jan. 1945 with the loss of over 6,000 lives. She was torpedoed by a Russian sub, at the time she was carrying old men, women, children and 1200 wounded German soldiers all of whom were trying to escape the Russian advance into East Prussia. This is the mother of all cruise ship disasters and an extremely little known event, unless you like history. :)

however, it did not chance my mind. My Daddy always said if it is your time to go it will happen. He has been on a bunch of cruises on different lines and still ticking at 78.

I did enjoy the pictures and comments.

Cathy p:)

This one

102022.jpg

This 'photo' is said to be a fake! NCL Sky went aground on her first New England cruise, and NCL Dream, finished up with two cargo containers on her deck, after hitting a cargo ship round the British Isles. john

Interesting question... Princess, I think, has an enviable safety record. Being a graduate of a maritime academy, I tend to observe things when I cruise. I have been on many different lines (and I think they all do a credible job - they wouldn't stay in business if they didn't). Overall, however, I give high marks to Princess (whose maritime operations have been derived from P&O since 1974 - P&O has been around since 1837). I just happen to think the British run a tight ship.

That's not to say Princess (or P&O) hasn't had a few bumps. There are some reports on the UK's Marine Accident Investigation Branch (kind of like a cross between our Coast Guard and NTSB) that have some reports on some incidents that have occurred. But this isn't uncommon. As beautiful as passenger ships are, we have to remember behind the scenes they are industrial work environments. Somtimes things happen. The key is that lessons are learned. See http://www.maib.dft.gov.uk/publications/index.cfm for these reports.

I just happen to think the British run a tight ship.

Interesting – there’s a bit of a rivalry at Princess over who runs the best ships between the British and the Italians (who came to Princess from Sitmar). I was at a most-traveled luncheon on Regal Princess and got to sit with two of the Italian engineers. They blamed the problems with Dawn Princess engines on the lack of experience of the British crew. On the other hand, I’ve talked to some crew members who were just itching to get to Dawn Princess to get away from the Italians!

Your point about industrial work environments behind the scenes is well taken...I think some lose sight of that fact when they get all caught up in the glitz and the partying.

• 3 years later...

Quite a few, actually.

Star Princess Onboard Fire--There's a video of it on YouTube from a passenger.

On 23 March 2006, at about 3 am, a fire broke out in the passenger compartments, amidships, on the port side of the ship.[2] Shortly after, the captain sounded the General Emergency Signal—seven short blasts followed by one long blast on the ship's whistle, which woke passengers up all over the ship. Passengers went to muster stations and evacuees were combined into groups, then stationed in cramped rooms for about seven hours. Some passengers who needed regular medication required crew members to go into their suites and retrieve their medication.

Passengers evacuated their cabins into public areas through smoky hallways, grabbing their life jackets on the way. The evacuation was reportedly orderly, in contrast to deadlier fires such as those on the Morro Castle and Yarmouth Castle.[3] Lifeboats were lowered, but proved to be unnecessary, as the fire was contained and doused, and the ship headed into Montego Bay under her own power. With the one exception below, there was no loss of life.

The fire was probably caused by a cigarette left burning on a balcony, which had become hot enough to melt the balcony divides made from plastic polycarbonate, a material that had been approved by international cruise line safety rules. The fire caused scorching damage in up to 150 cabins, and smoke damage in at least 100 more on passenger decks 9 to 12 (Dolphin, Caribe, Baja and Aloha decks). A passenger, Richard Liffidge, 72, of Georgia, died from "asphyxia secondary to inhalation of smoke and irrespirable gases" and eleven other passengers suffered significant smoke inhalation.

The 2006 Incident Aboard the Crown:

On July 18, 2006 at approximately 3:30 pm, one hour after departing her last port of call in Port Canaveral, Florida, the Crown Princess reported "listing" or making "heavy turns" to the port side, about 16-19 degrees from the horizontal. The Coast Guard was contacted shortly after and crews arrived within minutes to assist the troubled vessel. The cruise ship was on its way home to New York City, and the decision was made to return to Port Canaveral due to what was initially thought to be a malfunction in the steering equipment, causing a severe tilting of the ship and injuries.[1] However, it was reported that a junior officer "panicked," then took the ship out of automatic pilot thinking a meter was showing that the ship was turning too sharply to one side. Instead of turning the Crown Princess back to the right, it is alleged that the junior officer accidentally kept the ship in an even sharper left hand turn - similar to over-correcting in a car. The massive 113,000-ton cruise ship listed severely, tumbling passengers, pool water and everything else on board into chaos. [2]

A number of passengers were critically injured, one suffering breathing difficulties after being hit in the chest by an airborne chair. Water from the four on-board pools poured into staircases and lift shafts. Most injuries were on the outdoor areas of Decks 15 and 16, where large beach chairs and tables hit and injured passengers. The other area that had many injured passengers was the balcony areas in the grand atrium. Many there were hit by falling objects and heavy marble tables. One woman with an extended hospital stay was thrown against the glass wall on Deck 15 and covered by pool chairs and water from the pool themselves, being trapped underwater for several seconds. One passenger said "Afterward it was like a war zone with people walking around bleeding." and another added "All the windows were smashed. The top deck looked like a hurricane had hit it." [3]

Crown Princess by Tallinn

Crown Princess by Gdynia

Crown Princess passing the Esso Refinery in Southampton Water, outward bound from Southampton 31st July 2009 on a Norwegian cruise.

Crown Princess slowly leaves the River Mersey Estuary on 28th August 2009.

Crown Princess moored at night in Bergen, a storm in the North sea preventing it leaving for Shetland.

Amazingly, no passengers went overboard, despite the heavy list.

As of 8:30 AM PT July 19, Princess says that "approximately 240 passengers [were] treated onboard for various injuries such as abrasions, bruises and fractures, of which 94 were transferred to local hospitals ashore for evaluation and treatment."

This makes the incident one of the worst in the history of modern day cruising.

Hi There,

Depends on what you want to know, and where you draw the line,

when is a fire a fire, when a smoke detector goes off or when you have to call passengers to muster.

My last cruise we had a cabin fire, passengers getting thrown of the ship by the captain, but these items do not make the news, but why should they.

If you want loads of details just ask the crew.

Some are good like the luggage cage that being over loaded fell into the docks.

yours Shogun

Archived