Can I cash a check at Guest Relations?

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Only carrying $40 is a bad idea.

I don't think the person that posted that was looking for validation. Nor do I assume that they have no idea what their Plan B would be.

Whether travelling or not, I carry very little cash also. But I do have at least two credit cards from two different issuers at all times. I have an ATM card too, but it is only enabled (through an app) when I need to take cash out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruiselover48 said:

I just cashed a check on Enchantment in November. There is a limit of $200 one time unless something changed.

Interesting.  We tried last year, I think on Jewel,  and were told no.

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Only carrying $40 is a bad idea. 

I appreciate your comment. I travel a lot for work and make cross country flights often. Sometimes I don’t have cash at all 🫣. I’m either very lucky or my banker doesn’t want to get fired if my card gets declined. I also carry my Amex as a backup.

I’ve had my wallet stolen before and lost my cards. I made a call and I had a new card overnighted to me when I was in central Mexico once. Actually pretty impressive because nothing moves fast there and my mouth hit the floor when a driver delivered my card at 10 am the next morning. I was lucky but not disabled because I didn’t have cash. Worst case my banker would wire me some cash and I would pick it up locally (with passport). I wanted to avoid that because it was central Mexico and people get killed for picking up cash there. 

I learned over the last few years not many places I frequent or services I use want to take cash. All prefer digital banking and I’m happy to accommodate. 

Mr gram was born at the turn of the century and when we cleaned out her house after she died we found thousands of dollars under the floor boards. She never said a word and we’re actually not sure if she knew about it. Her husband had died 20 years earlier and he may have been the one to hide it. To this day we’re not sure if we got it all, but the house sold and we didn’t have much time to look everywhere. I had a kick giving my kids $100 bills from the 60’s and 70’s and they were so confused why they looked different! 

32 minutes ago, twinmommy08 said:

learned over the last few years not many places I frequent or services I use want to take cash. All prefer digital banking and I’m happy to accommodate. 

In the USA faking flights around I don't take much cash. Around home area only a few dollars and one cc. I pay for everthing with Apple Pay on my watch. I carry one physical card to use at sit down restaurants. My barber only takes cash though. Won't even take Venmo. Where I have needed cash is traveling on cruises or some land vacations. I have bought some local art and they don't take credit cards. On road trips it is possible that I may need some cash if I broke down or at a farmers market. In Mexico the taxis in Cozumel and Riviera Maya only take cash. Also I try to avoid cards in Mexico because once every seven or eight trips fraudulent charges.  In Bermuda most taxis only take cash. Other islands too. Many tour operators in the Caribbean only take cash.

Thought I would mention AMEX is not a good backup card. A lot of paces in the US and abroad don't take AMEX or (Discover). 

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks everyone! I normally cruise with my husband so he usually carries $300-500 with him to gamble-( I know he is not a high roller) so we have extra if we need. But this time I am cruising to Alaska with a friend and I will just have my own money to carry. I will probably use credit cards in port since it is in the USA. I will take some cash for tips, etc. We are going to Juneau which has a Bank of America branch-ATM- so I can get extra there if I need with no fee.( I do not like to pay an ATM fee). My friend has Wells Fargo- they have branches in Sitka and Skagway too, FYI. If not, will use the ship ATM.