Mobility Scooter rental using on Carnival Celebration

jjaazzy

Does anyone here have experiance with a Mobility Scooter in a Cove Balcony cabin on Carnival Celebration?  We are renting from Scoot around their smallest unit.  I looked at the floor plan and am concerned where this thing will live when in the room.  Does the couch move? 

• Like 1

I haven’t used a scooter on the Celebration but I was in a cove balcony, and I can’t see a scooter fitting into the room.  The Celebration cabins are narrower than most ships I have been on, and there is very little extra space.  To my knowledge, the couch doesn’t move.  Even if it did, where would you put the couch?  Have you looked into getting a fully accessible cabin to accommodate the scooter?

3 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

I haven’t used a scooter on the Celebration but I was in a cove balcony, and I can’t see a scooter fitting into the room.  The Celebration cabins are narrower than most ships I have been on, and there is very little extra space.  To my knowledge, the couch doesn’t move.  Even if it did, where would you put the couch?  Have you looked into getting a fully accessible cabin to accommodate the scooter?

I have watched many videos and it looks like if we could move the couch either towards the bathroom or towards the bed it will fit.  I know the room is tight, they tell me it will work. I have a call placed to the TA.  Might have to call CCL.  

Some cove balcony rooms have the bed closest to the bathroom and the couch by the balcony door.  That’s the way mine was.  You’ll have to find out which configuration your cove balcony is.  If the couch is by the bathroom and the bed is by the balcony, you might be able to make it work, assuming the couch can be moved.  If you have the configuration I had, you couldn’t even get the scooter past the end of the bed. There’s not enough clearance there.  Good luck, and I hope it works.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I just wanted to give an update on my findings so far for the next person in the same situation.  The couch might be bolted to the wall but I was told it could be un bolted.  I have allerted the travel Ag that my Mother is bringing the Scooter but does not need further accomidations in the cabin.  I did not go with the associated scooter rental company which would have been much easier, due to the limited space in the Cove Balcony. I was very concerned with the limited space and the scooters offered that didn't shrink down the foot print of the scooter, the back of the chair folds down and the tiller folds but you still have this huge piece of machinery in a tiny cabin.   I went with a Fold up model Pride Go Go, l that I rented from Mobility Plus in Pemb Pines. This unit folds up pretty small. I think it will fit somewhere near the couch.  Hopefully we have plug on that side of the room.  I am going to pick it up the day before as I need less things to do the day of embarkation not more. They were very nice and I hope this all works out, this is a first time cruising with the scooter. 

One thing I recently learned is that if you look at the deck plan PDF under the Explore Our Ships on the Carnival website the second page has the rooms that can accommodate a scooter. If the room is gray color, it has the bed closer to the bathroom and the sofa by the balcony, these rooms can't accommodate one. Now whether the other ones can truly accommodate the scooter you bring is a different question but Carnival believes they can. This is only on the new Excel class ships as far as I know where there are the two different bed/sofa configurations in the standard rooms.

We had 2 balcony cabins in the Celebration with a scooter each. We were barely able to get the scooter through the door in the cabin where the sofa was near the door.  There was hardly any room to get by. The other cabin where the sofa was nearest the balcony was a no go as far as getting the scooter through the door. We used scoot around as well and had their smallest scooter. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rtfnl said:

We saw a lot of scooters being parked in the halls. Speak with your cabin steward for suggestions. My mom and brother also took their rolling walker with the seat. 

They're not supposed to be parked in the halls.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rtfnl said:

We saw a lot of scooters being parked in the halls. Speak with your cabin steward for suggestions. My mom and brother also took their rolling walker with the seat. 

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They're not supposed to be parked in the halls.

Scooters cannot be parked in the hallways.  This is not a Carnival rule, this is a SOLAS regulation.  If Carnival was found to be allowing scooters to be parking in hallways, they would be heavily fined.

It is not easy to get a scooter through the doorway of a regular cabin; however, if the scooter is the right dimensions, it can be done.

• Like 4

The problem with Carnival Celebration's cabins are the rooms are smaller than the other ships and the location of the sofa will prevent the scooter going into the cabin. The IP asked a question which I answered with first-hand knowledge. I know the rules regarding scooters. I did not say ours were parked in the hall. I made a general comment regarding many scooters being parked in the halls. Have a great day.! 

Edited by rtfnl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 3/9/2023 at 11:46 PM, rtfnl said:

We had 2 balcony cabins in the Celebration with a scooter each. We were barely able to get the scooter through the door in the cabin where the sofa was near the door.  There was hardly any room to get by. The other cabin where the sofa was nearest the balcony was a no go as far as getting the scooter through the door. We used scoot around as well and had their smallest scooter. 

So, even with the scooter folded up it was hard to pass by it inside the cabin? My dad will be using one and I am a bit concerned as these new Excel class cabins are so tiny. Also, with Scootaround what time was your scooter at the terminal?

Carnival should be better about ensuring guests at the pier in a scooter are in an accessible cabin or they're not getting on the ship unless their scooter by some miracle will fit in their standard room. The hallways are narrow enough as it is, especially with the steward carts and trays etc in the hallways. Park somebody's bariatric scooter in the hallway and nobody's getting through.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival should be better about ensuring guests at the pier in a scooter are in an accessible cabin or they're not getting on the ship unless their scooter by some miracle will fit in their standard room. The hallways are narrow enough as it is, especially with the steward carts and trays etc in the hallways. Park somebody's bariatric scooter in the hallway and nobody's getting through.

Unfortunately, not everyone is aware that they may need a scooter after booking their cruise and HC cabins may not be available. what's with this "Bariatric Scooter" stuff???? there are other reasons people use a scooter...degenerative bone disease, surgery after a motor vehicle accident etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BonnieH said:

Unfortunately, not everyone is aware that they may need a scooter after booking their cruise and HC cabins may not be available. what's with this "Bariatric Scooter" stuff???? there are other reasons people use a scooter...degenerative bone disease, surgery after a motor vehicle accident etc.

I am well aware that there are many reasons why people use scooters, but the bariatric scooters are the ones that have the most problem fitting because they are bigger. It was not meant as an insult or anything.

Carnival should stop everyone trying to board with a scooter, measure it, and compare it to the cabin they have booked to make sure it fits. Then they need to strictly enforce the "no scooter parking in the hallway" rule. That would solve things pretty quickly. 

• Like 3

Having sailed on the Celebration, I have to say those were the SMALLEST cabins I have ever sailed in.  I have stayed in all kinds of cabins from inside to suites, on various lines, and these were horribly small.

I am cruising on the Jubilee next year and have booked a suite.  I am hoping that its larger.  

On 3/2/2023 at 11:03 AM, jjaazzy said:

I just wanted to give an update on my findings so far for the next person in the same situation.  The couch might be bolted to the wall but I was told it could be un bolted.  I have allerted the travel Ag that my Mother is bringing the Scooter but does not need further accomidations in the cabin.  I did not go with the associated scooter rental company which would have been much easier, due to the limited space in the Cove Balcony. I was very concerned with the limited space and the scooters offered that didn't shrink down the foot print of the scooter, the back of the chair folds down and the tiller folds but you still have this huge piece of machinery in a tiny cabin.   I went with a Fold up model Pride Go Go, l that I rented from Mobility Plus in Pemb Pines. This unit folds up pretty small. I think it will fit somewhere near the couch.  Hopefully we have plug on that side of the room.  I am going to pick it up the day before as I need less things to do the day of embarkation not more. They were very nice and I hope this all works out, this is a first time cruising with the scooter. 

The only plugs in the room on the Celebration are on the opposite side of the room under the mirror.  There are no plugs on the side of the bed or couch.  Next to the bed are only USB ports.

There were MANY scooters on our cruise last week and none were parked in the hallway at least on our floor or any floors we walked through. We were in a regular balcony and I don't see how a scooter would fit in any part of the cabin.

Celebration is an awesome ship.  Enjoy!

The problem is there are very few handicap room on the ship. Some people may not need a handicap room who uses a scooter. There are many who may not be able to distances. The Celebration is a huge ship. OP talk with your room steward for options if you are not able to get an accessible cabins. I am sure Carnival is aware of the issues with the rooms. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 11:50 PM, rtfnl said:

Which is technically illegal and against the rules, but as usual not enforced by Carnival.

People with scooters should always rent a handicapped room.  If it's closer to the sailing date, they can contact the special needs department and if there are any non HC people in a HC cabin they will be moved.  Life is a whole lot easier if you have the room in the cabin to maneuver and at the same time charge it legally overnight in your cabin.

On 4/4/2023 at 2:10 AM, opensaysme said:

So, even with the scooter folded up it was hard to pass by it inside the cabin? My dad will be using one and I am a bit concerned as these new Excel class cabins are so tiny. Also, with Scootaround what time was your scooter at the terminal?

The handicapped excel class cabins are not tiny at all.  Does your father have a handicapped cabin reserved?