RCL STOCK HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?

morfred

Investors Business daily just rated it a "Buy"

2023 earnings up to $3-$3.60 vs 2022 loss of $7.50

The seven biggest advance booking weeks in company history have occured since Nov. 2022.

I am no longer a big fan of cruising with Celebrity after a sail in December but apparently everyone else is happy.

My RCL stock is happy also.

Maybe I will make enough profit to try MSC Yachtclub.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, morfred said:

Investors Business daily just rated it a "Buy"

2023 earnings up to $3-$3.60 vs 2022 loss of $7.50

The seven biggest advance booking weeks in company history have occured since Nov. 2022.

I am no longer a big fan of cruising with Celebrity after a sail in December but apparently everyone else is happy.

My RCL stock is happy also.

Maybe I will make enough profit to try MSC Yachtclub.

Depends on the timeframe. For example, if on March 1, 2018, you bought $10,000 of RCL stock and I added $10,000 to my 401k plan. Today your RCL stock would be worth $5,820 while my extra deposit to my 401k would be worth $14,353. Based on that, you’re not doing very well.

We’ve done two 14 day cruises on MSC in the Yacht Club Deluxe Suites and are our two favorite cruises out of the 47 we’ve taken, and the cherry on the cake, over $100 p.p. per day cheaper than Celebrity, in a Sky Suite. This was pre pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Depends on the timeframe. For example, if on March 1, 2018, you bought $10,000 of RCL stock and I added $10,000 to my 401k plan. Today your RCL stock would be worth $5,820 while my extra deposit to my 401k would be worth $14,353. Based on that, you’re not doing very well.

We’ve done two 14 day cruises on MSC in the Yacht Club Deluxe Suites and are our two favorite cruises out of the 47 we’ve taken, and the cherry on the cake, over $100 p.p. per day cheaper than Celebrity, in a Sky Suite. This was pre pandemic.

Nah. I bought in 2007 or 2008 @ about $10 per share. Today it is about $71. It might be time to get out.

Edited by morfred
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, morfred said:

Nah. I bought in 2007 or 2008 @ about $10 per share. Today it is about $71. It might be time to get out.

You should have thought of that January 17, 2020 when in was $133.45. You missed out on $62+ per share times the number of shares you have. Quite a big difference for shareholder obc to make up.

Personally I wouldn't be buying at the current time unless I saw the fundamentals of long term growth that met my investment strategy.  Most of my RCL stock was purchased at $11.    Obviously it has paid for itself many times over with the OBC's I received.    I don't hold it as an investment - I only continue to hold it for the OBC. 

The headlines are often only hype and one should look at the major analysts in perspective.   Yes there has been a shift to a Buy but that is only from 9 of 21 Analysts that cover RCL.    The same number recommend hold or sell.

image.thumb.png.cb8a436d232c8db2b1f7918f97209043.png

When it comes to investments there's only two things that matter, when you BUY and when you SELL.  With that being said, one of the smartest investors, Buffet, recommends low-fee index funds like the S&P 500.  Additionally, if investing causes you stress, you'll probably live longer if you buy index funds and never check on them

image.thumb.png.cc95866fcba2278ecae9f34db4a4546c.png

10 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

When it comes to investments there's only two things that matter, when you BUY and when you SELL.  With that being said, one of the smartest investors, Buffet, recommends low-fee index funds like the S&P 500.  Additionally, if investing causes you stress, you'll probably live longer if you buy index funds and never check on them

11 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

My full 401k is with Vanguard and my biggest piece is, and has been, for 35 years, the S&P Index Fund. We were able to retire at 55 and live the lifestyle we only dreamed of. Does generational wealth ring a bell for anybody?

Fear that the cruise lines wouldn't survive covid shutdown made their stocks among the worst performers of '21.  Resumption of sailing allowed them to recover to current level but their balance sheets are still in tatters.  RCL debt has balooned from $11B to $24B.  Those rosy earnings forecasts cited above are on an adjusted basis which ignores among other things $1.7B ($6/share) in interest expense.  In their most recent quarter 4q '22 RCL sailed at 95% occupancy yet barely broke even on an operating basis which excludes $.4B in interest expense.  It will be a very long time before earnings justify a higher stock price.

Royal is still in better shape that NCLH which this week reported a 4q '92 loss of $.5B driving their stockholders equity down to only $69 million.  Of course all the cruise lines are crowing about record bookings which isn't a surprise given how many new ships (and associated debt) they have added..

Edited by Baron Barracuda
  • Like 1

Ya, and these interest rates these days are not going to help when they go to refinance any debt.  I've got a tiny amount of CCL and every time I go to sell it I think, I might as well hold on to it because it's such a small holding.  But I guess it could go to $0 .   It's going to be a long road ahead and then I think about all the capacity with these huge cruise ships coming online.  It's going to be interesting to watch.  In other news: I just saw today that in the US, basically 50% of the people between 55-65 have zero retirement savings. 

Edited by rmalbers