MSC Disability Questions for Meraviglia Yacht Club

Glitchlo

We are looking to cruise such out of NYC and one of us is in a wheelchair. Their website is very vague about allowing such people to use the pool (chairlift) or get on the beach (beach wheelchair), There is only a phone number shown (no email or address) on website and when I call it was like I was asking nuclear fusion questions. Is MSC really that backwards on ADA/disability issues? Can anyone supply contact info or answers to the above? Very frustrating to go through this in a 2022 corporation.
Thank you! 

• Like 1

When you book your cruise,  you should submit MSC Special Needs form for your cruise.

Just enter MSC Special Needs Form for site to populate.

Phone number below for Special Needs Desk.

logo.jpg

MSC CRUISES | SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS INFORMATION (MSC Cruises USA Office Phone: 954.772.6262 | MSC Cruises Canada Office Phone: 1.833.253.9978)

Should you have Special Requirements, please review and complete this form. MSC Cruises will seek to the extent feasible to accommodate all requests. This information is necessary so that we are aware of any special requirements you have and may be provided to third parties, as needed

3 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

You will have no problem with ADA access in the YC.  Pool One and YC Beach are accessible for pool and spas. 

?? The YC Beach is hardly accessible IMO.  The walking path down to the beach is on the side of a hill; it is not paved.  The YC Ocean House is, however, accessible.  As far as the Pool in YC on the Mera I cannot remember having any lift or Wheelchair access.  I just googled the photo as a reminder.  While the deck might be ok the lift is in the main pool, not YC pool.

MSC-Meraviglia-Yacht-Club.jpg.webp

Morgsmom is correct.  There is no chair lift in the pool on The One Deck.  For the YC beach area, while there is a hill to get down to the beach, but the Cay does have "beach" wheelchairs with the oversize tires.  When on board, I would remind the concierge to make sure a beach chair is reserved for you.  One YC guest used on at the YC beach, but had to be assisted up and down by a few of the lifeguard/attendants at the beach.

It would help if you outline your needs in the Special Needs form.  You can detail the type of wheelchair you are bringing or need on board, among other things.  Here is a pdf of the form attached. 

Special-Needs-ENG-BASIC FORM.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your quick replies and the special needs form. I wanted to get answers BEFORE reserving and it sounds like the main pool has a lift and the YC beach has a beach wheelchair (I will have to do my Arnold Schwartznager routine). I sent a physical letter through snail mail to them and will let you know when and if they say anything. THANKS AGAIN!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Glitchlo said:

Thank you everyone for your quick replies and the special needs form. I wanted to get answers BEFORE reserving and it sounds like the main pool has a lift and the YC beach has a beach wheelchair (I will have to do my Arnold Schwartznager routine). I sent a physical letter through snail mail to them and will let you know when and if they say anything. THANKS AGAIN!

Best of luck.  To be safe, I would send you letter in electronically to  mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com.  They will send you a response quickly to acknowledge your message.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:39 AM, Glitchlo said:

Is MSC really that backwards on ADA/disability issues? Can anyone supply contact info or answers to the above? Very frustrating to go through this in a 2022 corporation.

Just two notes:

The ADA is a United States law.  It does not apply outside the USA in other countries. For cruise ships that operate from the US, the ADA mainly pertains to the having cabins on board ship  that are accessible.  It does note that cruise ships  have other regulations of ship design or safety issues that negates accessibility under the ADA.  

Read the Terms and Conditions on the MSC website.  There is a compete section on Fitness to Travel and Passengers with Mobility Issues.  It includes the statement that there will be areas and sections of the ship that passengers with mobility issues can not access or use.

It also notes that ship staff or crew (employees) will not lift or carry passengers.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I use ADA instead of disabled but what you say is correct. However before making plans we want to know if areas like pools have accessible lifts like other cruise lines as well as beach wheelchairs. This board has been very helpful as usual but I find the info MSC supplies (phone calls/website) to be lacking in that area especially in 2023. I sent letter on Monday and email on Tuesday and will let all know what they say. Thank you!

MSC has many different categories of ships with different design features.  It would be difficult to make a general statement for all ships and itineraries.

We cruised with a couple where the husband needed either a scooter or walker to get around.

Once the reservation was made (accessible  cabin), he was in contact with special needs and arrangements were made for his needs.

However, ship design did limit his ability to access certain areas (the pool was one of them) and he expected nothing different.

One accommodation that might be of interest to you is that he could only embark and debark the ship at a gangway that was different from the one normally used by passengers as the gangway was smooth (no ridges or other features that help retain footing on a steep slope).

In some ports it was lower down and the one used to load  items on the ship.

Do not plan to use any special gangway available for Yacht Club guests; it may not be suitable for wheelchair/scooter/walker use.

Thank you Homosassa-interesting notes. NCL did indeed have chairlifts for pools so I just wanted to see what is available. I had emailed and mailed MSC with 2 very specific questions and provided my email and number. 6 days later they called and a lady said to call her back (rather than answer the questions) at the general number. Impossible to get anyone specific so talked to someone else and really got no where. So yes I enjoy banging my head on the wall but assuming the worst I did make reservations (June 11 out of NY) and filled out special needs form (by the way JAGR they no longer accept your form emailed to them, you must use the online version-just for info). Thank you all again!

• 1 month later...

just curious if any recent cruisers have noted any chair lifts at the pools. I have looked at all the pictures and have not seen one although Morgsmom noted one in the main pool, I cannot confirm it with MSC.