Yellow Fever Vaccination

Taking the Panama Canal cruise, and just a question for anyone who has taken this cruise or a similar one. Especially one that goes from Colombia to Panama.

I know what the CDC recommends already but are the yellow fever vaccinations enforced? Like is someone checking at the port and stopping people from getting off the ship or anything?

4 minutes ago, domoarigato said:

I am asking about whether its actually enforced.

The RCI recommendation for CDC is a suggestion - what RCI enforces is listed (or in the case of yellow fever not listed) on their web site.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

when we did the PC a few years back on Vision nobody at check in asked if we had the yellow fever vaccination. It never came up in our eDocs that we needed it. A friend of mine over 70 yrs old in Canada was told by her doctor that they don't give the vaccine to old people.

Yellow Fever jab knocked DH for six when he had it. I was fine but he sloped off to bed with a fever and literally slept for 2 days. It was pretty scary but we were young and I left him to sleep it off.

35 years later - would not go anywhere that requires this jab.

Just as an aside: Even if it is expressly required, I doubt anyone over 60 could get a yellow fever jab in the UK now. We tried several years ago and the medical advice then was that it is regarded as too high a risk. We got the certificate with an “exemption” stamped on it - that us universally accepted under WHO regulations. My brother had his jab when he was 62 - but it was the same appointed clinic that advised me, 3 years later, that it is no longer deemed to be safe for over 60’s.

4 hours ago, domoarigato said:

Taking the Panama Canal cruise, and just a question for anyone who has taken this cruise or a similar one. Especially one that goes from Colombia to Panama.

I know what the CDC recommends already but are the yellow fever vaccinations enforced? Like is someone checking at the port and stopping people from getting off the ship or anything?

We cruised to the Panama Canal in 2010 and never got vaccinated.True that was a while ago but my thinking is that it has not changed.