Laundry for Platinum and above

johnrich

I’ve read several posts on CC about lining the paper laundry bag provided by NCL with a canvas bag to make it stronger (and most have said they can therefore fit more laundry in the bag). For those who do this, what size canvas/cloth bag do you use? If you are currently on an NCL ship, do you know the actual size of the laundry bag (although I doubt many cruisers would have a ruler or tape measure on them). Also, if you do use a cloth/canvas bag, do you mark it as a piece of clothing on the laundry sheet/form? Thanks!

We cruise a half dozen times a year and have never used a canvas bag or any other bag. The NCL paper bags are of various sizes. Maybe you could use a standard hotel plastic laundry bag. 4 days into your cruise, you don't really generate that much laundry. 

• Like 1

Typical plastic laundry bag as used by or available from Marriott, Sheraton and Holiday Inns/Crown Plaza these days fit just about perfectly with the "new" downsized, paper thin NCL bags.  

Think small, it's about 20% to 25% smaller than the old bags - and, doesn't take much to fill that bag these days, and we are good at rolling & squeezing as much as we can.  Before, we usually can do about $100 to $125's worth of itemized pieces - lately, about $85 to $100's worth of similar items (prices for single pieces of wash & dry remained unchanged) if these were sent out as Laundry Specials usually offered to all guests mid-cruise.  

PXL_20220512_041150447.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

This is a good reminder for me to grab a laundry bag when I go to Vegas later this month, so I have something to line the NCL bag (gratis laundry from recently-purchased upgrade to Club Balcony, not Platinum, but still hooray for free laundry 😊👍)

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We cruise a half dozen times a year and have never used a canvas bag or any other bag. The NCL paper bags are of various sizes. Maybe you could use a standard hotel plastic laundry bag. 4 days into your cruise, you don't really generate that much laundry. 

you can if you spend 2-3 days precruise somewhere.  Luckily for us, we each get the benefit so when this happens we send out a bag on day 2 and then usually on day 5.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you are on a longer voyage you usually get two bags per person - this is not advertised but if you go to the cruise next desk on embarkation day to book your wine tasting etc then they will tell you - our last sailing 14 days in December we had two bags each. Never yet failed to get everything we needed washing into the bag.

You can also ask your room steward for an extra pillow case and use that to line the paper bag, if you are concerned about busting through the paper. I have also heard of folks who bring a roll of duct tape with them and use that to secure the top so that they can load it ALLLLLL the way up.

I have found that rolling items up as I itemize the list saves a ton of space and allows me to pack a lot in to the bag, even without tape or a liner. Getting 20-25 items in the bag (including jeans, shirts, underwear, socks, pajamas, etc.) is definitely doable if you compress everything as much as possible.

• Like 1

We were recently on a 38-day B2B on the Jade and submitted a bag of laundry around every 4-5 days with around 26 pieces in a bag without adding any liner without an issue. Basically, we tightly rolled up each item and strategically placed them in the bag. However, we did bring clear packing tape with us to secure the top of the bag so our full bag of clothes wouldn’t fall out.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1