Luggage Storage in Southampton

moses0

We are looking at sailing from NYC spending 10 days in the UK and sailing back. Does anyone know if there are places to store ones luggage at the Southampton port? Would like to not have to lug our cruise stuff around England if possible

it is a great idea if you can make it work! We have done this a few times around the world; no references just carefully searching the internet. Perhaps this below will help you.

FROM CUNARD FAQ

There is not the facility to store luggage at any port through Cunard Line, however there are various luggage storage companies available at many destinations.

An alternative option may be to have Cunard's White Star Luggage Service, in partnership with Luggage Forward, transport your luggage to meet you at the ship or to your home address

HAVE A LOOK AT THIS SIGHT

https://stasher.com/luggage-storage/southampton?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlL6n1bvN_QIVD4KDBx2V5w6HEAAYAiAAEgJxUvD_BwE

• Like 1

In the past we've been able to arrange storage via the purser's desk or concierge. The luggage gets taken off the ship and stored and then delivered to your stateroom for the return trip. Planning to do this later this year so hope it is still possible.  Cost last time was I believe $65 per bag for up to 30 days.

• Like 2

Once again we have conflicting FAQ entries. Here is another Cunard FAQ entry I've seen before which says something different. This has "if there is availability" qualifications which makes it hard to count on if you have to wait until you are on board to confirm availability. But we now have @esrs who has confirmed it has been possible in the past.

"(Q) Is there the facility to store my luggage in New York or Southampton?

(A) Yes, it is possible to arrange for your luggage to be stored in New York or Southampton. This is available for guests disembarking the ship in New York or Southampton who plan to return to New York or Southampton to embark the ship again within a few days.

Please speak to the Pursers Office once you are on board who will be able to check availability for you.

New York.

If there is availability you will need to place your luggage outside your stateroom the night before disembarkation between 6.00pm and Midnight and attach your standard luggage labels.

You will then need to collect your luggage from the baggage hall which is in the cruise terminal ashore, attach your second set of luggage labels to your luggage and drop your luggage off at the dedicated luggage Concierge Stand after going through Customs and Immigration.

Southampton.

If there is availability you will need to place your luggage outside your stateroom the night before disembarkation between 6.00pm and Midnight and attach the green luggage labels given with the information letter.

The luggage will be automatically transferred to the storage facility. Please ensure you remove all essential belongings before placing the bags outside your stateroom.

Cost.

The cost to leave your luggage in New York is $195.00* per bag for up to 30 days and a further $30* per 30 days thereafter. This includes transport from/to the correct terminal, secure storage and insurance cover.

The cost to leave your luggage in Southampton is $65.00* per bag for up to 30 days and a further $30* per 30 days thereafter. This includes transport from/to the correct terminal, secure storage and insurance cover.

*Prices are subject to change.

Please note there are no restrictions on the size or weight of your luggage."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth, the Australia en-au FAQ also have both of these conflicting entries, one saying it is possible (subject to availability) in NY and Southampton, and the other saying it is not offered "at any port".

Edited by sfred

I had a conversation with my cruise vacation planner about literally this exact thing and she said that there is storage space at the port of Southampton if you're going round-trip (and said storage is extremely secure FYI).

Edited by Starstruckharper
  • Like 1

Just to add to the above responses:

I fully agree with response #3 above.

I did this in August of 2019.

I was arriving to Southampton on QE, then leaving on QM2 four days later.

I was waiting for some notice to appear in the daily program about this,

but I should have gone to the Purser's desk earlier in the trip.

The cost was $65 per suitcase (which was billed on the first trip, you could use OBC).

I believe I received a form to fill out, along with special color luggage tags.

When disembarking, I was required to go to the area where the bags were,

just to verify my bags were in the group (which they were).

The next time I saw the bags was in my  cabin when I boarded QM2 four days later.

I would definitely do this again.

BTW it was called transfer, not storage

Edited by Dranuc2016
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those who have done this recently in Southampton, do you think I would be able to do self-embarkation with my hand baggage, having put out the luggage for my return crossing the night before with the special colored labels? Heading for The North, and trying to figure out plausible train times. It sure would be great if I didn't have to do anything about the landed luggage on the morning, but could head straight for Southampton Central.

6 hours ago, thereandback said:

For those who have done this recently in Southampton, do you think I would be able to do self-embarkation with my hand baggage, having put out the luggage for my return crossing the night before with the special colored labels? Heading for The North, and trying to figure out plausible train times. It sure would be great if I didn't have to do anything about the landed luggage on the morning, but could head straight for Southampton Central.

Early self disembarkation is for those that can carry all luggage off the ship without any help. If you put your suitcases out the night before then you will be assigned a time of disembarkation. This time is after all those have self disembarked with all their luggage. If what you suggest was possible we would all be doing it. The reasoning is those that self disembark have to take all your own luggage is because those that put suitcases out night before might not be ready for collection in luggage hall.

Edited by majortom10

8 hours ago, thereandback said:

I assume you are aware that there is currently no direct rail connection between Southampton and the North, as a bridge over the Thames is closed for urgent repairs.

They are hoping it might be done in June.

My trip is not until mid-July, so I have not been able to advance book the train, but I should develop a plan B in case the works are not finished in time. I hope that the train data once booking opens will reflect the planned closure, but now I am forewarned. Thank you for the heads up!

Still wondering about combining luggage storage with self-disembarkation...anyone done this recently?

35 minutes ago, thereandback said:

My trip is not until mid-July, so I have not been able to advance book the train, but I should develop a plan B in case the works are not finished in time. I hope that the train data once booking opens will reflect the planned closure, but now I am forewarned. Thank you for the heads up!

Still wondering about combining luggage storage with self-disembarkation...anyone done this recently?

At the moment the website is simply routing people going North via London. If you haven’t got much luggage, this might be better anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So grateful, Mercruiser, that you posted this. I had eventually found roughly the same info deep in the FAQs on the Cunard website, but I feel much better to have read it from the Daily Programme! This makes me think that it will not be a problem to combine this program with self-disembarkation, which was my question, mid-thread.

• 5 months later...

Reporting back on my experience. Couldn't have been better! Signed up at purser's desk as early in the crossing as they would accept (I think Day 3) for "Luggage Storage Southampton", received detailed instructions via letter to stateroom, put out luggage the night before arrival with special provided labels, and was advised in the letter that there was no need to look for my luggage in the terminal. I was able to (indeed was encouraged to) do early self-disembarkation with my remaining bag, and got to the station early. Next saw the luggage when I arrived in my cabin for the trip back to NY two weeks later.  Am hoping to do this every time from now on! Wrinkle for next time, however, is that I will be landing Southampton and then reboarding three weeks later at Le Havre to go back to NY. I wonder if my not being on board when the luggage is loaded at Southampton will be a dealbreaker for them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thereandback said:

Reporting back on my experience. Couldn't have been better! Signed up at purser's desk as early in the crossing as they would accept (I think Day 3) for "Luggage Storage Southampton", received detailed instructions via letter to stateroom, put out luggage the night before arrival with special provided labels, and was advised in the letter that there was no need to look for my luggage in the terminal. I was able to (indeed was encouraged to) do early self-disembarkation with my remaining bag, and got to the station early. Next saw the luggage when I arrived in my cabin for the trip back to NY two weeks later.  Am hoping to do this every time from now on! Wrinkle for next time, however, is that I will be landing Southampton and then reboarding three weeks later at Le Havre to go back to NY. I wonder if my not being on board when the luggage is loaded at Southampton will be a dealbreaker for them.

That sounds an excellent service.

Have they sold your cabin to someone else for Soton to Le Havre?

8 minutes ago, thereandback said:

Oh wow, it never even occurred to me that Soton to Le Havre was a thing! That would almost certainly rule out using the service, I think.

I don’t know whether it is. It used to be, or rather Soton to Cherbourg. Certainly, it would make it easier if not.

35 minutes ago, thereandback said:

I wonder if my not being on board when the luggage is loaded at Southampton will be a dealbreaker for them.

Probably not as that service, I believe, is/was always available for passengers doing segments of World Cruises, so in principle is no different.