Flying into Barcelona from western US

Lance&Jen

19 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Allow me to give what I did.  Let me say, my approach is not perfect.  It does come from four decades of flights domestic and international.  Hear was my approach:

• I booked both sets of tickets at 12:01 AM the moment they became available.  For anyone that wants to approach things this way please remember.  You can only book the flight when your return becomes available.  Just the way it works.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Excellent overview! 

One additional thought - many miles/awards tickets cost no more to be done as 2 one-ways vs a single round-trip. This means you could book the outbound as soon as it's available and then the return once it is available. This approach may also give you more flexibility to make future desired changes (if any).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

Excellent overview! 

One additional thought - many miles/awards tickets cost no more to be done as 2 one-ways vs a single round-trip. This means you could book the outbound as soon as it's available and then the return once it is available. This approach may also give you more flexibility to make future desired changes (if any).

@babysteps You make a really good point and I so glad you added it.  In my case, I tried everything while waiting for the dates to open.  The only hope I had was as soon as the return was available, book it.  So glad I did, weeks later is was so much higher and now it is insane. 

I have made a huge mistake in past cruises.  I would think about them every day from start to finish.  This was even worse right after all our cancelations due to covid.  When I finally got on the ship, it was anticlimactic. This Oceania Cruise I am taking a different approach with all aspects of it.  I have handled the normal stuff like the airfare on this thread, finding pictures of the newly done state rooms and deciding on the drink package that makes sense to us.  No more visualizing the cruise 1000 times before going on it.  

My mind and future experience will be SO much better.  This is a Bucket List Cruise and long time in coming.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... I have made a huge mistake in past cruises.  I would think about them every day from start to finish.  This was even worse right after all our cancelations due to covid.  When I finally got on the ship, it was anticlimactic....

Though IIRC the psychology research in this area does indicate that the "best" part of a vacation is actually that which precedes it. The anticipation. Just the way the human brain works, once it knows about a future vacation.

The Happiest Part Of Your Vacation Isn't What You Think | HuffPost Life

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Though IIRC the psychology research in this area does indicate that the "best" part of a vacation is actually that which precedes it. The anticipation. Just the way the human brain works, once it knows about a future vacation.

The Happiest Part Of Your Vacation Isn't What You Think | HuffPost Life

I've always really enjoyed all the pre cruise planning!! But actually stepping on the ship is great too. My first cruise post shut down I really felt like I was "home"!!! 🙂

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

If you should choose to do your air independently, I recommend the Iberia subsidiary Level. The only(I believe direct flights LAX-BCN). Flew Level in December to sail out of Barcelona for my Viking Neptune trans-Atlantic. The premium economy was very comfortable, food delicious, flights attendants cheerful & attentive. I always do independent air because I don't like cruise line air routing. 

Do I find Level schedules then within the booking "engine" for Iberia?  I'd transfer my miles from Chase to Iberia? Sorry for all the questions...DH always handled booking the flights and he's cruising "the heavens" now. 

On 3/12/2023 at 7:40 AM, DrHemlock said:

A simple web search for "flight path Chicago to Zurich" reveals that you do not "overfly Barcelona" or anywhere else in Spain.  The route from Chicago takes you over eastern Canada, the North Atlantic, Ireland, southwestern England and northeastern France to Switzerland.  (Sorry...I'm just a geography nut. 😎)

www.gcmap.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 2:35 PM, LuAnn said:

Do I find Level schedules then within the booking "engine" for Iberia?  I'd transfer my miles from Chase to Iberia? Sorry for all the questions...DH always handled booking the flights and he's cruising "the heavens" now. 

First let me offer my sincere condolences to you & your family for your husband. 

I went on the Level site directly to book. I'm not aware if miles can be transferred Chase/Iberia/Level. The Premium Economy service was very comfortable & got the job done. I'm considering for my next Viking out of Barcelona(Viking Sky, November 2023) of flying Iberia to Madrid, then taking the first class high speed train to Barcelona. 

18 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

First let me offer my sincere condolences to you & your family for your husband. 

I went on the Level site directly to book. I'm not aware if miles can be transferred Chase/Iberia/Level. The Premium Economy service was very comfortable & got the job done. I'm considering for my next Viking out of Barcelona(Viking Sky, November 2023) of flying Iberia to Madrid, then taking the first class high speed train to Barcelona. 

Thank you. It has just been one year the beginning of this month so still adjusting. Sorry..one more question..is the "level site" within the Iberia site itself or separate? I'm not sure that Premium Economy can be booked with miles? I have friends who live in Germany who are coming to meet up with me in BCN next April and they are using the train from Cologne. He sent me a U Tube video and it looked fabulous. I've been on 1 fast train ride in Europe and it was certainly nothing like anything in the US!! I think you'd really enjoy it!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Thank you. It has just been one year the beginning of this month so still adjusting. Sorry..one more question..is the "level site" within the Iberia site itself or separate? I'm not sure that Premium Economy can be booked with miles? I have friends who live in Germany who are coming to meet up with me in BCN next April and they are using the train from Cologne. He sent me a U Tube video and it looked fabulous. I've been on 1 fast train ride in Europe and it was certainly nothing like anything in the US!! I think you'd really enjoy it!! 

@LuAnnI hope you are able to find comfort & peace in whatever spiritual or religious entity you believe in during this time.

How wonderful to be able to meet up with friends coming in from Germany! I did a test search on Iberia & nothing came up for Level, so I suggest going to Level directly. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Go to the Level site directly. it's not always the cheapest option, but it's nice to have the nonstop flights from the West Coast! I always google Level airlines and it comes up as the first hit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Go to the Level site directly. it's not always the cheapest option, but it's nice to have the nonstop flights from the West Coast! I always google Level airlines and it comes up as the first hit. 

Thank you!!

57 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Thank you!!

Just purchased a ticket on Iberia website that was a Level flight, so it looks like sometimes, they do show up on Iberia. Can't say I have always seen Level flight available on Iberia, but it was today. 

• Thanks 1