Least homeless place to stay in Seattle?

Peachestravels

We will be cruising in 2024 and are going to stay the night before the cruise in Seattle. Would like recommendations for best and safest hotels to stay in Seattle with least trouble and homelessness? Any info would be freely appreciated. Thank you. Happy Cruising!!!

3 hours ago, Peachestravels said:

Would like recommendations for best and safest hotels to stay in Seattle with least trouble and homelessness?

Its a big city-- there is going to be homeless nearly everywhere. That being said there are hotels you can sort of cocoon yourself in if you don't want to walk around. The Fairmont Olympic would be a good example of this-- they have something like 3 restaurants and 4 bars on property as well as a nice indoor pool. You wouldn't really need to leave if you didn't want to. 

When walking downtown you really want to avoid 3rd Ave which has some of the worst homeless in the downtown core. Aside from that it's going to be similar to most large cities. 

• Like 1

There are amazing things to see and so in and outside of Seattle. Don’t be afraid of exploring. That being said, keep away from 3rd and Pine. 
Pike Place, the gum wall, ferry ride over to Bainbridge or any other island, Chihuly Glass, MoPOP, Space Needle (only if it’s a clear day is it worth the price, in my opinion), harbor boat tour…I could go on and on.  You can get a city pass which would save you some money. https://www.citypass.com/seattle?mv_source=rkg&adpos=&creative=617830560396&device=c&matchtype=p&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6rCgBhDVARIsAK1kGPKisoJAdBtKc7iODC6cuKNUNAFb7P9-jLMq1IF1Sc-fjwJQeLkhC9EaAvnYEALw_wcB

• Like 1

Because a few years ago we were attacked by a homeless person while on vacation. Put my DH  in hospital with a coma for weeks.  We have nothing against homelessness and those less fortunate. I have helped several homeless get back on their feet. I am a veteran and have seen terrible things. I suffer from PTSD. just nervous is all. Did not mean to offend anyone by all means. My apologies. I don't want to cocoon. Just want to be more careful is all. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@princeton123211, thank you for providing the OP with a lovely hotel suggestion that the travel party can "cocoon" themselves in.  The OP's thread title and general question does suggest that cocooning might be their best accommodation strategy, lest they come face to face with those less fortunate.  Thank you my friend for having the patience that I did not have in responding to their question.

Did not mean to offend. Have PTSD. veteran of these states. Was beaten by homeless person a few years ago while on vacation. Just being cautious. My apologies.

19 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Why bother to travel if you fear seeing something you might not like?

Seattle is no more dangerous than any other big American city.

Its not that we don't like homelessness. We are being careful. A few years ago while on vacation we were attacked by a homeless person with a bat. My DH was in a coma for weeks. I'm a veteran and had just been discharged from military. I do suffer from PTSD. we were trying to help the homeless person who asked for money. We gave him some and a hot meal then he attacked us with a baseball bat. I just wanted to be a little more cautious this time. We do love sightseeing. I have helped several homeless veterans get off the streets and got them jobs. I did not mean to offend anyone. My apologies. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peachestravels said:

...I just wanted to be a little more cautious this time. We do love sightseeing. ...

That's a terrible thing to have happen to you, and I hope you're able to get over it sufficiently to return to helping folks again (while nowhere near as bad, I've never been someone to just hand over money but instead to actually engage with people and see if I can help them without feeling like I enabled continued substance abuse etc.; taking them for a meal and a chat, buying groceries, that sort of thing - and it does backfire every now and again, fortunately for me never beyond verbal abuse or spittle, but even those incidents make me second-guess before helping the next person for a while afterward).

Realistically, I think you and DH are going to find a lot of downtown West Coast cities troublesome, even triggering for some time - right now I'd strongly suggest that rather than starting your vacation with additional stress stay out at the airport. Shuttles to the pier on embarkation day are decent value from Seatac area hotels, the hotels themselves are much cheaper than downtown, and the savings might be used for a tour by vehicle rather than wandering about downtown on foot.

Much like here in Vancouver, while locals can give you a heads-up about current homeless camp locations to avoid, you'll still find that tourist sites and homeless hangout areas overlap significantly - at the very least you'll find people begging in the places where folks with disposable income go. It sounds like at the moment anyone asking you for money might make you & DH relive some painful memories, which is why I'd stick to a drive-by tour option until you both feel you've put this behind you enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, mbjonsn said:

That being said, keep away from 3rd and Pine. 

Hi, your recommendations are in line with my plan for our port stop in Seattle 9am to 6pm. Walk/rideshare to space needle/chihuly ( and MoPop depending on how much time spent at first two.) I had planned to take the monorail to the area near pike/pine then take the bus to Starbucks Roastery (or skip and go to Pike Place market in the opposite direction) walk to the Seattle Great Wheel (to see, not ride) and walk back to pier66 along the waterfront.) 

Now I’m wondering if I should skip the monorail and take a ride share to a specific destination on Pike/Pine. 
I appreciate your perspective. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martincath said:

That's a terrible thing to have happen to you, and I hope you're able to get over it sufficiently to return to helping folks again (while nowhere near as bad, I've never been someone to just hand over money but instead to actually engage with people and see if I can help them without feeling like I enabled continued substance abuse etc.; taking them for a meal and a chat, buying groceries, that sort of thing - and it does backfire every now and again, fortunately for me never beyond verbal abuse or spittle, but even those incidents make me second-guess before helping the next person for a while afterward).

Realistically, I think you and DH are going to find a lot of downtown West Coast cities troublesome, even triggering for some time - right now I'd strongly suggest that rather than starting your vacation with additional stress stay out at the airport. Shuttles to the pier on embarkation day are decent value from Seatac area hotels, the hotels themselves are much cheaper than downtown, and the savings might be used for a tour by vehicle rather than wandering about downtown on foot.

Much like here in Vancouver, while locals can give you a heads-up about current homeless camp locations to avoid, you'll still find that tourist sites and homeless hangout areas overlap significantly - at the very least you'll find people begging in the places where folks with disposable income go. It sounds like at the moment anyone asking you for money might make you & DH relive some painful memories, which is why I'd stick to a drive-by tour option until you both feel you've put this behind you enough.

Thank you kindly. DH suffers from memory losses and I had to have a total knee replacement but where we live i do still try to help our homeless and yes I go to therapy. But still would like to travel. Thank you for your kind words of advice.

1 hour ago, Rusty Shacklefjord said:

Now I’m wondering if I should skip the monorail and take a ride share to a specific destination on Pike/Pine. 

The monorail has goes back and forth between two stops - Seattle Center, and Westlake.  The travel time between these two stops is approximately 3 minutes.  Basically it is ride for tourists, or local folks who are trying to get between DT Seattle and Seattle Center to attend an event at Seattle Center, or to get back DT Seattle after an event to catch public transportation (light rail, or bus).  The 3 minute ride, which every rider needs to exit at either end does not lend itself to a mode of transportation for the homeless community

When traveling from Seattle Center to Westlake Center via the Monorail, exit the train and take the stairwell or elevator on the left side of the platform to the street level. Turn right on 5th Avenue and then make your first right on Pine Street and walk down to 1st Avenue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martincath said:

a tour by vehicle rather than wandering about downtown on foot.

1 hour ago, Peachestravels said:

DH suffers from memory losses and I had to have a total knee replacement

A tour by car or van sounds like a better option for both of you.  Seattle is hilly, so venturing out on your own walking might not be the most enjoyable way to spend a day. 

You should probably also opt for the ADA line once you get to Pier 91 - less standing and less stress.

• Like 1

@Peachestravels, I am very sorry about what happened to your DH and absolutely won't wish it on anyone. It is not acceptable nor right. Again,  I  absolutely do not approve of it in any way. I suggest the more appropriate thought is that the incident was caused by a person.  Would you really want to specify it was done by a black, Latino,  gay, veteran, homeless or some other group of people? No, it was done by a person who cannot follow reasonable rules of society. 

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

@Peachestravels, I am very sorry about what happened to your DH and absolutely won't wish it on anyone. It is not acceptable nor right. Again,  I  absolutely do not approve of it in any way. I suggest the more appropriate thought is that the incident was caused by a person.  Would you really want to specify it was done by a black, Latino,  gay, veteran, homeless or some other group of people? No, it was done by a person who cannot follow reasonable rules of society. 

You are absolutely right. I apologize for labeling homeless. It was a person who we were just trying to help. It is a burden we must live with but it does not stop us from helping others or trying to take trips. I'm just cautious more now then ever. Again I apologize for labeling. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Peachestravels said:

Allow me to approach the question another way. Where are the best places to stay in Seattle for a nervous Nelly who would like to explore with some caution? And what places should we avoid to have a good time in Seattle?

We have stayed 4 times at the Seattle Hilton and walked to all the major downtown sites commonly mentioned without any problems. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peachestravels said:

Allow me to approach the question another way. Where are the best places to stay in Seattle for a nervous Nelly who would like to explore with some caution? And what places should we avoid to have a good time in Seattle?

I am afraid no one can really answer that because no one can know what would heighten your anxiety. I work in San Francisco so I feel pretty immune to street grittiness.

I stay in Seattle on a very regular basis for business and my favorite go to are Hyatt at 8 Olive, the Fairmont Olympic and Kimpton Vintage Hotel. I've never had an issue in Seattle. If you stayed at any of those hotels, a cab or Uber to the sights you want to see would alleviate anxiety that might happen walking.

• Like 1

Like a number of big cities, Seattle has a major problem with homelessness, but the vast majority of homeless people one might encounter on the streets are nonviolent.  If their presence offends you, then maybe visiting big cities isn't your thing.

Now obviously it's not recommended to walk around downtown at 2 in the morning with $50 bills hanging out of your pockets, but there are few places in the world where it WOULD be a good idea.  But millions of people visit Seattle annually and almost none of them ever encounter criminal behavior.  If you use common sense you'll be fine.  

• Like 1

tourism in Seattle has returned to 99% of what it was in 2019.  Lots of people and much different than what you may have imagined.  Police and new mayor have done a good job of cleaning things up.  To me as a local I'd only avoid 3rd Ave near Pike and pine. 1st Ave and Pike, and some areas around pioneer square.  Everything is relatively safe and using just a bit of street smarts will help you avoid problems.  I can't really pin down a hotel that is in a terrible spot.  Just use caution and sometime walking one block over will make a huge difference.  Pine St vs PIKE ST. 4TH VS 3RD AVE.

• Like 2

You might consider staying at the Waterfront Marriott, which is located on the Seattle waterfront..  The appeal of this hotel is that you can easily walk across the street to restaurants and tourist attractions.  The waterfront is completely flat, which will save your knees.  In the morning you can watch passengers disembark from a NCL ship at Pier 66 (assuming that you are there on a weekend day). I believe that you will be sailing from Pier 91 (a taxi or Uber ride away).  Unfortunately, there are no nearby hotels, or even tourist attraction nearby Pier 91.

By staying at the Waterfront Marriott, you will avoid the DT Seattle core, but you also have the option to use a taxi or Uber to get you to Seattle Center or Pike Place Market.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/seawf-seattle-marriott-waterfront/overview/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 6:33 AM, Peachestravels said:

Try the Homewood Suites on Western Avenue. Short Walk to the Space Needle and short ride to either Pier. As someone who live a block from the Market downtown, that is an area I would avoid, especially after closing. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 8:54 AM, scottca075 said:

I am afraid no one can really answer that because no one can know what would heighten your anxiety. I work in San Francisco so I feel pretty immune to street grittiness.

I stay in Seattle on a very regular basis for business and my favorite go to are Hyatt at 8 Olive, the Fairmont Olympic and Kimpton Vintage Hotel. I've never had an issue in Seattle. If you stayed at any of those hotels, a cab or Uber to the sights you want to see would alleviate anxiety that might happen walking.

I'm staying at Hyatt at Olive 8 this summer for 1 night pre cruise, and will be by myself. Can you please recommend the best walking route to take to go to Pike Place? I was thinking to just go straight down Pine but will have to cross 3rd to get there.

Thank you.

26 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I'm staying at Hyatt at Olive 8 this summer for 1 night pre cruise, and will be by myself. Can you please recommend the best walking route to take to go to Pike Place? I was thinking to just go straight down Pine but will have to cross 3rd to get there.

I walk down Stewart usually.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I walk down Stewart usually.

Agree with Ferry Watcher - Olive Way will merge into Stewart.  3rd from Pine to Union seems to have the most issues, but I've also walked this in the middle of the day and have been fine. If you find yourself on 3rd/Pike, it's not the end of the world, you'll just see some interesting characters -just don't engage. And locals know to avoid the McDonalds on 3rd and Pine - that's been notoriously bad years before the pandemic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, psuboater said:

And locals know to avoid the McDonalds on 3rd and Pine - that's been notoriously bad years before the pandemic. 

So true!  The infamous McD's will be on the left side of Pine Street as you walk towards Pike Place Market.  If you do decide to walk down Pine towards The Market, stay on the right side of the street.  Even in the 80's we knew to avoid that McD's corner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1