How does a specialty dining package work with kids?

farjar

52 minutes ago, farjar said:

Our specialty dining package covers the two adults in our cabin. How does it work for the 11 & 15 year olds traveling with us? Do we book a la carte restaurants and pay for their meals?  

You can either pay per meal or buy a dining package for the kids. In the a la carte places it may be cheaper to pay the menu price rather than get a package, depending on how much they will eat. Have a look at the menus to get an idea of how much they are likely to spend.

Regardless of how you plan to pay for them you book the restaurants in the normal way.

Just be aware that the kid's menu is 12 and under.  The 15 year-old apparently won't be allowed to join you at Teppanyaki and not pay the cover charge (there was a whole long thread on this, go look it up)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, hallux said:

Just be aware that the kid's menu is 12 and under.  The 15 year-old apparently won't be allowed to join you at Teppanyaki and not pay the cover charge (there was a whole long thread on this, go look it up)...

Good to know. The last time we cruised our daughter was under 12 and she just ordered off the kids meal. I guess this time, she'll have to pay or not go. She eats like a bird and would only eat enough compared to a kids meal to begin with. 😒

2 hours ago, farjar said:

Our specialty dining package covers the two adults in our cabin. How does it work for the 11 & 15 year olds traveling with us? Do we book a la carte restaurants and pay for their meals?  

Option 1: You can pay for individual items off the menu for the kids (Menu Price+20% grats). 

Option 2: You can get dining packages for both. 2-dinner package is $99+grats = $118.80

Option 3: You can get your 15 year old a package and force the 11 year old to eat off the complimentary kids menu.

Option 4: You can take the kids to the buffet, then let leave them at the kid's club as you go to dinner without them. 

At 11 years old, our kids would want to eat off the adult menu. For us, it the money was insignificant after the cost of the cruise and not forcing them to eat a PB&J sandwich (and the drama that would ensue) while we had a steak was well worth the money. 

image.thumb.png.24f550791297ab8cea2c9f3733d0007b.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Good to know. The last time we cruised our daughter was under 12 and she just ordered off the kids meal. I guess this time, she'll have to pay or not go. She eats like a bird and would only eat enough compared to a kids meal to begin with. 😒

On my January cruise one restaurant let us substitute a pasta dish for the kids meal.  It is possible that a venue may offer this option, but they absolutely are not required to do so.  At an a la carte restaurant, I have to wonder if they'd be okay with your 15 year old just ordering an appetizer (I'm not sure that's an option, but it might be).  Please note that the two adults will each be limited to one appetizer, one main and one dessert if you were intending primarily to share and are debating whether or not to get the dining package.  

But please beware - one big change from the last time I sailed NCL 7 years ago to last January was the enormous decline in quality in specialty dining.  Today it's really only worth the meals with your room because the additional taxes and fees on that are pretty low.  With the exception of one very good meal at Ocean Blue, the other meals were just barely better than the average MDR meal on the other lines I'd sailed.   But if everyone really wants to eat together, then sometimes as a family you pay for something overpriced just to make everyone happy.  

9 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

On my January cruise one restaurant let us substitute a pasta dish for the kids meal.  It is possible that a venue may offer this option, but they absolutely are not required to do so.  At an a la carte restaurant, I have to wonder if they'd be okay with your 15 year old just ordering an appetizer (I'm not sure that's an option, but it might be).  Please note that the two adults will each be limited to one appetizer, one main and one dessert if you were intending primarily to share and are debating whether or not to get the dining package.  

But please beware - one big change from the last time I sailed NCL 7 years ago to last January was the enormous decline in quality in specialty dining.  Today it's really only worth the meals with your room because the additional taxes and fees on that are pretty low.  With the exception of one very good meal at Ocean Blue, the other meals were just barely better than the average MDR meal on the other lines I'd sailed.   But if everyone really wants to eat together, then sometimes as a family you pay for something overpriced just to make everyone happy.  

We are platinum so we both get to pick a meal (for 2) for free. Otherwise, I would not be going to any of them considering there are too many free options that easily satisfy us. 🙂  I hate to hear of the decline in quality. I feel like everyone is cutting corners these days. 

• Like 1

Grandson has been eating from adult menus since he was 8-9. He loves trying new food items but before that he ordered off the kid menu and did try some of my items. Don't mind paying for him because he does enjoy a nice meal. He is 13 now so kids meals are no longer an issue.

47 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

I have seen kids the age of yours (and younger) eating in dinning room without their parents.  Another option there. 

Good point - my 12 year old would go with his friends to O'Sheenans and they'd seat them.  

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

We are platinum so we both get to pick a meal (for 2) for free. Otherwise, I would not be going to any of them considering there are too many free options that easily satisfy us. 🙂  I hate to hear of the decline in quality. I feel like everyone is cutting corners these days. 

Great - glad you are all set!  Some of the decline in the restaurants might be temporary due to staffing issues (sides in Cagney's served ice cold, steak cooked perfectly but also served cold).

Edited by kitkat343