Drink Packages

Manny1960

So I've looked up lots of Drink Packages on YouTube and on Cruise lines, but haven't found any that gives detailed info on them. I don't drink Alcohol, but on Holland America I'm looking at The Quencher Drink Package does this include Beer or not? And the other question I have is what when do you check in for your curise? Sorry Last cruise I was on was in 1968 on the SS. United States which is rusting in Philly.

The Quench package is about soft drinks. No alcoholic beverages. 

On HAL, the check in process is broken into several parts. Some can be done when you book. Some is done the last week or so prior to sailing. The last bit is done at the pier.

So What I found on Holland America The Quench is Coffee, water, and soda drinks per the dispensers. I also found that they have beer packages consisting of about 5 bottles of beer for 36 dollars. So I'm guessing that canned sodas are on another package for 8 dollars a day 

58 minutes ago, Manny1960 said:

So What I found on Holland America The Quench is Coffee, water, and soda drinks per the dispensers. I also found that they have beer packages consisting of about 5 bottles of beer for 36 dollars. So I'm guessing that canned sodas are on another package for 8 dollars a day 

Only 3 ships have the soda machines. On the other ships, you will get your soft drinks from a bar.

We bought the Quench packages on our last trip in November and it includes canned pop, canned water and bottles of sparking water, cans of Red Bull, mock cocktails (lots of different kinds), special coffees, etc., etc. - 15 drinks per day/per person.  No alcohol.  We loved it and will do it again this Saturday.  

• Like 2

If you purchase any drink pkg or bucket of beer in advance, does this include the 18% gratuities. Also as a Canadian, when I look at "alreadybooked" for my upcoming cruise, will the packages the gifts etc be priced in Cdn $$? I looked everywhere for his info ... am interested in preparing gratuities because I was told by travel agent that if you pre-purchase its in Cdn $, otherwise Us$.

@Kate45purchases billed in U.S.  Only purchase I found  billed in Can. Is the future deposit.  We get ripped off.  Example bottle of liquor in Can liquor store $41.00. Same on board U.S.$70.00.  Same bottle on board 2 yrs ago was $40.00us. 

@Kate45 you can pre-pay crew appreciation in Canadian dollars.  I'm about to do that for my May cruise and just checked online to make sure that it's still an option. Once you are in Manage my cruise, choose Travel Planning to find pre-paid crew appreciation. It's a very good exchange rate that they use.

3 hours ago, Kate45 said:

am interested in preparing gratuities because I was told by travel agent that if you pre-purchase its in Cdn $, otherwise Us$.

The pre pay grats are priced in the same currency as the booking, so if you booked in CAD then the grats will be priced in CAD, and at a good FX rate.  Pre pay grats are classed as Travel Planning, and everything else will be in USD.

Just off the Nieuw Statendam last Saturday and we had the Quench Beverage Package. It included cans of soda, premium coffee, juices, mocktails and 12 oz water in a can (sparkling and still) with a 15 drink daily limit -- no beer. Also, it did not include the fountain machine with the souvenir cup, only cans of soda. Have a great cruise!

So if I go into travel planning and prepay gratuities, it will tell me exactly how much it is in Canadian $$ and the exchange rate? Is that added onto my final payment or do I have to pay it now? If it's added on, is it locked in like flights or can it go up if God forbid, the Cdn $$ loses even more value!

27 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

So if I go into travel planning and prepay gratuities, it will tell me exactly how much it is in Canadian $$ and the exchange rate? Is that added onto my final payment or do I have to pay it now? If it's added on, is it locked in like flights or can it go up if God forbid, the Cdn $$ loses even more value!

It will be in CAD (if you booked in CAD!) but will not show the exchange rate.  You can work that out yourself.  You pay it now by credit card.  

When you board your onboard account is credited the full amount of the gratuities in US Dollars.  What you pre paid is irrelevant, it will show the full USD credit for grats on your account.

If you have OBC, then that will be consumed first and if you have any credit remaining then providing it is less than the amount you paid for grats, it will be refunded.  You can request this refund in cash USD, which is very useful for future trips.

There are three of us in a cabin (two adults and a child.)  Our reservation says we have the signature package.  Does the child have this as well (without the alcohol, focus on smoothies and Shirley Temples.)?

1 hour ago, Jenhilmc said:

There are three of us in a cabin (two adults and a child.)  Our reservation says we have the signature package.  Does the child have this as well (without the alcohol, focus on smoothies and Shirley Temples.)?

Normally only the first 2 guests have the package. Your confirmation should show which guests have which benefits/perks included.

3 hours ago, Jenhilmc said:

In August when we had three adults in one cabin, only the two primary passengers had the signature beverage package (through HIA). The third adult, without the package, chose to purchase the soda-only package our first day on the ship from one of the bartenders