Has anyone stayed in a Marriott or Hilton hotel in Amsterdam?

cpl100

Please share information about any of them if you have.  Starting a cruise in Amsterdam and would like to use points to stay at either of these (although I am intrigued by the more local hotels also).

Thanks!

We've stayed at Banks Mansion and loved not only the location but the great amenities...their breakfast is wonderful as is the self serve open bar in the lobby. We'll be staying there again July 2024.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've stayed at both the Renaissance and the Marriott. Different hotels, different locations, different vibe. Pre-pandemic, so things can change.

I like the vibe of the Renaissance better. I like the location of the Marriott better. The Marriott is near the museums; the Renaissance is closer to Centraal, but there were some nice local restaurants nearby. I have elite status and lounge access, and they both had good lounges.

The Doubletree is a great location for pre-cruise, but I'm pretty much a Marriott guy at this point. I have no first hand experience with the Doubletree.

• Like 1

Stayed in the DoubleTree in June. Easy walk from Central Station. We took taxi to the port for 15 or 20 euro. We were upgraded (from points plus 40 euro) to executive level and the evening reception had so much food it was dinner and included a full breakfast. Hotel is an easy walk to a supermarket if you want to buy wine. We would stay here again. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, markeb said:

I've stayed at both the Renaissance and the Marriott. Different hotels, different locations, different vibe. Pre-pandemic, so things can change.

I like the vibe of the Renaissance better. I like the location of the Marriott better. The Marriott is near the museums; the Renaissance is closer to Centraal, but there were some nice local restaurants nearby. I have elite status and lounge access, and they both had good lounges.

The Doubletree is a great location for pre-cruise, but I'm pretty much a Marriott guy at this point. I have no first hand experience with the Doubletree.

Thanks!  I initially considered the Renaissance but research showed me that it is under extensive renovation and currently has a rodent issue.  Seriously considering the Marriott, though.  Was the lounge good enough to pay for that room?  (My status isn't quite high enough to get it automatically as this is our first trip since Covid so they downgraded me.)

12 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

Stayed in the DoubleTree in June. Easy walk from Central Station. We took taxi to the port for 15 or 20 euro. We were upgraded (from points plus 40 euro) to executive level and the evening reception had so much food it was dinner and included a full breakfast. Hotel is an easy walk to a supermarket if you want to buy wine. We would stay here again. 

Thank you!  I will look into it.  I'm still trying to firm up the area in my mind.  Is this convenient to public transportation and sights?

29 minutes ago, cpl100 said:

Thanks!  I initially considered the Renaissance but research showed me that it is under extensive renovation and currently has a rodent issue.  Seriously considering the Marriott, though.  Was the lounge good enough to pay for that room?  (My status isn't quite high enough to get it automatically as this is our first trip since Covid so they downgraded me.)

Just looked up the pictures, and it looks like the same M Lounge they had in 2019. Very nice space. Hot breakfast. Evening fairly heavy snacks, with beer and wine. The hotel had a nice bar with a great selection of Genever, which I'd never really had before. I hit lifetime with Bonvoy which solves a lot of problems...

It's an easy walk to the Museumplein, and the tram stop is right across the street. You'd want a cab to get to the cruise port.

29 minutes ago, cpl100 said:

Thank you!  I will look into it.  I'm still trying to firm up the area in my mind.  Is this convenient to public transportation and sights?

Centraal is the main transportation hub in Amsterdam. It's the main train station. Pretty much all the public transportation is accessible from there, including ferries. Transportation is very good. As Ine has stated (on your other thread), Amsterdam is not that big, and public transportation is very convenient.

But the sights are scattered. Pull up a map, or go to iamsterdam.com (highly recommended!). I've never completely understood I Amsterdam; they do sell product, but they also seem to act as a tourist bureau. Lots of good information, including public transportation, attractions, etc. The I Amsterdam city card may or may not be worth it to you, but look at what it offers. It includes a pass to much of the public transportation, and museum and attraction admissions. The web page has links to everything! 

• Like 1

Marriott.  As has been said, reasonable walking distance to the museums and the Concertebouw.  You can buy tickets to this lovely concert hall online.  Also, we arrived without luggage which didn't arrive for 56 hours, stuck in Rotterdam.  The hotel was tolerant of our wearing the same gift shop tee shirts for days, picked up our bar tab once, and after we left, repatriated my mate's cell phone by fedex (for a fee).  The M-Club lounge is excellent.  Very good food tour by Viatour. . Do watch out for bicycles.  They have the right away everywhere, apparently.  

• Like 1

Stayed at the W on Bonvoy points and had a great experience. When I was making the comparison between that and the Marriott the W won purely on a far more central location. But I was very pleasantly surprised as to the quality of the hotel itself-- I'm not a huge W fan in general (usually small rooms and loud music in the US) and this was not that. Very large rooms, nicely appointed, received an upgrade/Bonvoy benefits, and some great restaurants on premise. It's across the street from the Royal Palace.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Stayed at the W on Bonvoy points and had a great experience. When I was making the comparison between that and the Marriott the W won purely on a far more central location. But I was very pleasantly surprised as to the quality of the hotel itself-- I'm not a huge W fan in general (usually small rooms and loud music in the US) and this was not that. Very large rooms, nicely appointed, received an upgrade/Bonvoy benefits, and some great restaurants on premise. It's across the street from the Royal Palace.  

Thank you.  I saw that there is a W in Amsterdam but my experience with the W in the US is the same as yours so I dismissed it sort of quickly.  Thanks for offering your perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Doubletree in June.  Did the upgraded rooms with lounge access.  Basically it fed us our meals and drinks.  Food was fine.  Loved the location, walked everywhere.  Close to Central station and a short walk to cruise ship terminal.  Would absolutely stay there again.  Location (for us anyway) was perfect.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 3:42 PM, Marken said:

We stayed at the Doubletree in June.  Did the upgraded rooms with lounge access.  Basically it fed us our meals and drinks.  Food was fine.  Loved the location, walked everywhere.  Close to Central station and a short walk to cruise ship terminal.  Would absolutely stay there again.  Location (for us anyway) was perfect.

DoubleTree is also walking distance to the canal boats of which one is a hop-on-hop-off. Lots of tram lines start at Central Station. You can also walk to the science museum called NEMO. Also behind Central Station are free ferries that can take you to the film museum and the Toren Amsterdam which is the former Shell headquarters and the views from the roof are great. 

• Like 1