Japan Intensive - do tell

uktog

Today is possibly the final milestone in Azamara coming out of lockdown - the start of the Japan Intensive on Quest. 
As someone who hopes to be on this itinerary next year I can wait to hear how it goes. 
Really hoping for a “live from” or post’s telling us about the ships tours, shuttles etc. After a few years there’s a gap in knowledge on this so fingers crossed for good information as this one off we all want to get right! 
Hope everyone has a fantastic cruise on this iconic itinerary which is such a once in a lifetime cruise for most cruisers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We too are really keen to hear how this goes, mainly because our once in a lifetime trip to Japan will be a reality in less than 4 weeks (all going well, tendency to assume travel is a dead cert is less than it used to be). As at today, all will need a negative covid test to board Quest though not to get into Japan. I understand this is a port rule, cruise line agnostic. Happy sailing to those who are probably just about to leave Tokyo ! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mrs Skip said:

We too are really keen to hear how this goes, mainly because our once in a lifetime trip to Japan will be a reality in less than 4 weeks (all going well, tendency to assume travel is a dead cert is less than it used to be). As at today, all will need a negative covid test to board Quest though not to get into Japan. I understand this is a port rule, cruise line agnostic. Happy sailing to those who are probably just about to leave Tokyo ! 

Where are you reading that a Covid test is required to board?    And if so, is it an official test or just a picture of a self test.

Edited by roberts2005

So onboard the Quest sailing out of Tokyo harbor bound for Aomori. Happy to provide some details about embarkation.  Note this is valid as of today’s embarkation and, as we all know, rules change rapidly (limited liability in other words LOL).

If you’re cruising right now - my advice is test beforehand. Line for tests on the pier were quite long (clearly an hour plus).  I can confirm that the requirement is also Test/time dependent. PCR tests are up to 72 hours before and rapid tests are 24 hours before embarkation (I saw one couple turned back to the testing line because they had certified rapid tests from Friday for the Sunday embarkation). Our group of 6 all used rapid tests and had a mixture of proctored (emed) and self-certified - all were accepted. Those that self-certified photographed the test with their passports and make sure it’s time/date stamped (which most cellphone cameras are). 

Masking onboard is self-selected and the majority of the crew are unmasked. 

Feels great to be back and first few hours it seems like it’s the “old Azamara”. Only single point of difference so far from our last Azamara cruise (NZ Mar 2020) is they’ve clearly upped their “Cherry game” which used to be the terrible neon maraschinos.  

We’re doing a combination of self-guide (it helps that my husband lived here for 15 years and is fluent in Japanese), private guides (ToursByLocals, Viator, Japan Guide Agency and Kanazawa Tours) and a single Azamara excursion (Matsue Castle). 

I’ll try and update periodically and answer questions when I can. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

49 minutes ago, Drebay said:

So onboard the Quest sailing out of Tokyo harbor bound for Aomori. Happy to provide some details about embarkation.  Note this is valid as of today’s embarkation and, as we all know, rules change rapidly (limited liability in other words LOL).

If you’re cruising right now - my advice is test beforehand. Line for tests on the pier were quite long (clearly an hour plus).  I can confirm that the requirement is also Test/time dependent. PCR tests are up to 72 hours before and rapid tests are 24 hours before embarkation (I saw one couple turned back to the testing line because they had certified rapid tests from Friday for the Sunday embarkation). Our group of 6 all used rapid tests and had a mixture of proctored (emed) and self-certified - all were accepted. Those that self-certified photographed the test with their passports and make sure it’s time/date stamped (which most cellphone cameras are). 

Feels great to be back and first few hours it seems like it’s the “old Azamara”. Only single point of difference so far from our last Azamara cruise (NZ Mar 2020) is they’ve clearly upped their “Cherry game” which used to be the terrible neon maraschinos.  

We’re doing a combination of self-guide (it helps that my husband lived here for 15 years and is fluent in Japanese), private guides (ToursByLocals, Viator, Japan Guide Agency and Kanazawa Tours) and a single Azamara excursion (Matsue Castle). 

We board on April 18th..  so appreciate your posts and comments.  The testing really leaves me confused.  So to be clear, each of us can do a self test, then  put it next to our passport and take a cell phone picture.  And this will be acceptable to Azamara.

No need to pay for a testing site or 3rd party monitoring.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

We board on April 18th..  so appreciate your posts and comments.  The testing really leaves me confused.  So to be clear, each of us can do a self test, then  put it next to our passport and take a cell phone picture.  And this will be acceptable to Azamara.

No need to pay for a testing site or 3rd party monitoring.

Thanks @Drebay

We are in the same pickle.  Just minutes ago paid for monitored tests 72 hours before sailing since Azamara's site clearly says:

All tests, including nucleic acid amplification test (PCR) and rapid antigen qualitative test (RAT), must be performed within 3 days of embarkation.

So now they insist 24 hours for rapid?  And self monitored may be accepted?  Honestly, I can't imagine why self monitored would not be accepted since they are on Princess (which we used 2 months ago) and HAL (which we will use next week) and RCCL (which we need in August for a crossing).

We are 3 couples traveling together. Two couples used proctored rapid tests (we all had previously purchased ones still unused) and one couple used self-administered rapid tests with photos of the test cartridge next to their passports. All were accepted.

I understand that the Azamara site says 3 days - but, at the same time that changed a few weeks ago from 3 days PCR and 1 day RAT. Other cruise lines still list the 3 day / 1 day. If you are doing RAT I would be safe and do it the day before. I can confirm that I saw a couple moved to the testing line because their RATs were from Friday (for Sunday embarkation). 

We left Tokyo about 3 hours late. Partly to the nightmare at the port on testing.Tanya Roberts joined as a guest and said well over an hour.

Then add in guests that flew in the day of sailing. Really surprised on that.

masks.new crew wear for five days.Old crew ..some choose to wear,

this guest choices to wear off ship in all transportation and buildings plus a very crowded  cherry blossom park. Almost everyone is wearing them if not white.I choose to fit in and be safe.

ship.last cruise we had shuttles as needed which was a lot. Not always prefect drop offs but been working it.

1 hour ago, Drebay said:

We are 3 couples traveling together. Two couples used proctored rapid tests (we all had previously purchased ones still unused) and one couple used self-administered rapid tests with photos of the test cartridge next to their passports. All were accepted.

I understand that the Azamara site says 3 days - but, at the same time that changed a few weeks ago from 3 days PCR and 1 day RAT. Other cruise lines still list the 3 day / 1 day. If you are doing RAT I would be safe and do it the day before. I can confirm that I saw a couple moved to the testing line because their RATs were from Friday (for Sunday embarkation). 

Thanks for the updates.  Since our already paid for monitored RAT test will be in the 3 day window and evidently of no value for the ship, we will use it as informational only.  And get additional RAT tests in Tokyo the day before embarkation I guess since not sure of the self-administered, albeit that 2 in your group were allowed to use. 

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Thanks for the updates.  Since our already paid for monitored RAT test will be in the 3 day window and evidently of no value for the ship, we will use it as informational only.  And get additional RAT tests in Tokyo the day before embarkation I guess since not sure of the self-administered, albeit that 2 in your group were allowed to use. 

Can you take the physical test strip with you, and just take the photo within the 24 hour window?

We will be boarding on April 3.  Thank you to the group in front of us for posting great information.  The testing is bizarre.  Not required to enter Japan but required to board the ship.  Regent and Princess specifically say you can self test with a time stamped photo.  Azamara’s site does not say that.  So, we will take a PCR 72 hours in advance and receive a certificate.  We will also bring a self test with us. We will show both.    It might change by the time we board….Japan just opened up to foreign cruise ships on March 1st.  When I first started planning it was a struggle to find guides.  Now it seems things are opening up a bit.  What I have found interesting ( and challenging) is if you hire a guide, they cannot take you in a private car.  You have to either charter a taxi for the day  ( very expensive on top of guide fees), take a taxi from point to point  or take public transportation.  
I will be happy post along the way.  Just filled out my Visit Japan web documents today.  

• Thanks 1

I received some great tour information from a very frequent Azamara cruiser that sailed on this itinerary pre Covid.  Most of the guides she used are no longer guiding since there was such a long period without tourism.  We are very excited that this cruise is finally here.  We were booked in 20/21 and 22.  Was nervous when Celebrity canceled their March/ April cruises……but, we are a go!  

3 hours ago, nonrev1 said:

We will be boarding on April 3.  Thank you to the group in front of us for posting great information.  The testing is bizarre.  Not required to enter Japan but required to board the ship.  Regent and Princess specifically say you can self test with a time stamped photo.  Azamara’s site does not say that.  So, we will take a PCR 72 hours in advance and receive a certificate.  We will also bring a self test with us. We will show both.    It might change by the time we board….Japan just opened up to foreign cruise ships on March 1st.  When I first started planning it was a struggle to find guides.  Now it seems things are opening up a bit.  What I have found interesting ( and challenging) is if you hire a guide, they cannot take you in a private car.  You have to either charter a taxi for the day  ( very expensive on top of guide fees), take a taxi from point to point  or take public transportation.  
I will be happy post along the way.  Just filled out my Visit Japan web documents today.  

A few thoughts on the tour guide process. We had one tour cancelled last minute (Nikko) because the agency was unable to find a guide - so, yes that seems to be challenging although this was one issue out of about half a dozen or more guides we will be using.  We booked early (4-6 months) in most cases though. As for driver/guides in Japan this is the usual setup being separated like this. They are two different certifications (Japanese bureaucracy). Additionally, it’s just not common for people to have cars here. The choice is a guide who uses (I) public transit - doable in many/most cases, (ii) taxis as needed or (iii) hires a taxi and driver for the day - adding cost typically greater than the guide itself.  That was the case pre-pandemic as well and that description, in that order, describes how the Japanese themselves get around - especially in urban environments.  There are many places where the added expense of hiring a driver is worth it (IMHO) and we have done so for a number of our tours in this trip.

Final thought on not needing a test to get into the country vs boarding a cruise ship. Japan is simply behind the rest of the world (which is typical in many ways).  The US and European countries had similar policies for a while and Australia still does I believe.  Finally, it’s perhaps understandable here given that their initial primary vector was the Diamond Princess cruise ship!  Try and do your best and prepare and there are options if something is done incorrectly. Don’t let that one point ruin what I know will be a magical trip for most of you as it is for us!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Drebay said:

To confirm, at the Tokyo Cruise terminal for the March 19th departure, a rapid self test with photo was accepted to check in?

We are on the April 18th Quest out of Tokyo and many are curious about this question. Thank you. Alan

Confirming. At the Tokyo International Cruise Terminal on Mar19 a Self-administered and self-certified RAT test taken within one day of embarkation was accepted. 

The process used by our group was to show them the picture in our phone. They checked the date stamp and then took a photo of the screen using the checkin iPads the staff have. 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 6:29 AM, Drebay said:

Thank you for this information.

We will be on the Next Quest Japan cruise April 3rd.

I would like to know if any stops have a shuttle from the port to town?

We have some excursions booked but can get around in Japan on our own.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Drebay said:

Confirming. At the Tokyo International Cruise Terminal on Mar19 a Self-administered and self-certified RAT test taken within one day of embarkation was accepted. 

The process used by our group was to show them the picture in our phone. They checked the date stamp and then took a photo of the screen using the checkin iPads the staff have. 

Was the name of the cruise terminal "Yokohama International Passenger Terminal"?

Thank you. Alan

Thank you for confirming! Alan

2 hours ago, aminca said:

Was the name of the cruise terminal "Yokohama International Passenger Terminal"?

Thank you. Alan

Since we are boarding HAL Westerdam at Yokohama next week and Quest at Tokyo terminal in April, be aware that Yokohama is NOT where Azamara docks.  The 2 terminals  are 35k and 30 minutes apart without traffic.

tokyo piers.jpg

6 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Since we are boarding HAL Westerdam at Yokohama next week and Quest at Tokyo terminal in April, be aware that Yokohama is NOT where Azamara docks.  The 2 terminals  are 35k and 30 minutes apart without traffic.

tokyo piers.jpg

Azamara Quest will dock at the Tokyo International Cruise Terminal in Tokyo - NOT in Yokohama.  Very easily accessible either by taxi or public transit. 

41 minutes ago, Drebay said:

Azamara Quest will dock at the Tokyo International Cruise Terminal in Tokyo - NOT in Yokohama.  Very easily accessible either by taxi or public transit. 

Yes.  That's why I showed the map to the poster who asked if they would be docking in Yokohama. We are staying in Yokohama for the Westerdam boarding and in Shimbashi for the Quest.

Edited by ECCruise

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

tokyo piers.jpg

Thank you for the confirmation. AZ reservations confirmed this morning, that the correct terminal is Yokohama, not Tokyo International. I appreciate the clarification and confirmation. Thanks again. Alan...              PS..Do you know what time the on site COVID testing clinic starts at the terminal? 

12 minutes ago, aminca said:

Thank you for the confirmation. AZ reservations confirmed this morning, that the correct terminal is Yokohama, not Tokyo International. I appreciate the clarification and confirmation. Thanks again. Alan...              PS..Do you know what time the on site COVID testing clinic starts at the terminal? 

Yokohama?  Or Tokyo?  See above.  Currently Quest docks at Tokyo, not Yokohama.  When is your sailing?

And COVID testing starts when your scheduled arrival time is.