Seward Boarding Time and Transfer Questions

rdcmadden

We are cruising out of Seward in June. We are staying in Anchorage the night before the cruise. I am exploring transportation options for our party of 6. What time can we board the ship? The reason I ask this is because the Royal Caribbean chartered buses and train arrive in Seward late in the day, around 5PM. It seems that a lot of passengers will be boarding late in the day and maybe the bags will be getting to the cabin very late. I would like to board in early afternoon if possible and would like suggestions for transportation from Anchorage. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.   

Noon was the earliest "slot" last year with an 8pm departure, so I am expecting it to be 11am for a 7pm departure, but I'm definitely not positive.  Our luggage was dropped off sometime in the afternoon I am assuming (we left it with our Kenai Fjords tour office and they dropped it off for us) and we didn't get it in our room until after 8pm I think? 

The train is the BEST way to get to Seward that day, as its very scenic and special, but I know that the train via the Alaska Railroad for our sailing is sold out that day, so I would do that quickly if you want it.  Bus is also an option, but I am unsure where to book that.  There is also usually that Royal chartered train, its very handy.  

• Like 1

My first choice is the train.  The depot is close enough to walk to port if you'd like.  My suggestion is to take a Kenai Fjord tour (6 hrs) with Major Marine.  You get done around 5 p.m. so it is right when everyone else is arriving but the tour is fantastic!  Or just drop off your luggage and walk back to town for lunch, the Alaska Sea Life Center, etc.

Second choice is the Alaska Cruise Transportation (https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv__b5pDr_QIV9witBh2-AQTUEAAYASAAEgKbkfD_BwE).  You can book a direct transfer as well as (depending on the day/cruiseline) an optional tour that goes to the Alaska Wildlife Center, Girdwood, etc.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 11:18 AM, Kathscof said:

Noon was the earliest "slot" last year with an 8pm departure, so I am expecting it to be 11am for a 7pm departure, but I'm definitely not positive.  Our luggage was dropped off sometime in the afternoon I am assuming (we left it with our Kenai Fjords tour office and they dropped it off for us) and we didn't get it in our room until after 8pm I think? 

The train is the BEST way to get to Seward that day, as its very scenic and special, but I know that the train via the Alaska Railroad for our sailing is sold out that day, so I would do that quickly if you want it.  Bus is also an option, but I am unsure where to book that.  There is also usually that Royal chartered train, it’s very handy.  

Thanks for the information. For the Royal Chartered train, seems like I read you drop your bags at the civic center? Do they bus you to the train depot from there?

39 minutes ago, rdcmadden said:

Thanks for the information. For the Royal Chartered train, seems like I read you drop your bags at the civic center? Do they bus you to the train depot from there?

That I do not know....BUT.....I do know that your luggage makes its way to Seward NOT on the train, no matter which train you take, as they know that the road is quicker, and they already have your bags at their destination before you arrive.  I don't know about how you would get to the depot, but I would hope they would help transport people.....

• Like 1

I really like the early morning train. Then you can spend time in Seward in the afternoon and see the area. It is a very scenic train ride. Don't miss the time to see Seward. Most miss it entirely.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

For our Royal Radiance cruise last year (which departed at 8pm) we took the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour that "got back" at 5:30 (it was more like 5:10 because we left early).  The LAST check in time ended at 5:30, so we were worried that we wouldn't get on the ship, even though they have to finalize 1.5 hours before, meaning 6:30.  Now that our Radiance leaves at 7, "getting back" at 5:30 would be cutting it WAY too close, probably impossible to be aboard by 5:30 for that 6 hour tour.  BUT, both boat tour companies have shorter cruises, but they leave at 12:30 for 4 hours, getting back at 4:30, meaning possibly that weird 2.5 hour prior to leaving of the last check in time.  

All in all, getting to Seward the day before (and taking the boat tours that day, which are designed to start right after the train arrives) is probably the best way to enjoy Seward (and make sure you get to go on the boat tour!) with a leisurely morning prior to getting on the ship by visiting the SeaLife Center or Exit Glacier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The available regularly-scheduled transportation from Anchorage to Seward, on Fridays (the days that Royal Caribbean International vessels are in port) is the following: (1) Alaska Railroad, "Coastal Classic," depart downtown Anchorage 6:45 a.m., arrive Seward 11:05 a.m.; (2) Alaska Railroad, RCI chartered train, depart Anchorage airport 1:00 p.m., arrive Seward 5:30 p.m.; (3) Seward Bus Lines, depart Anchorage bus terminal near airport 2:00 p.m., arrive Seward 4:30 p.m.; (4) Park Connection bus, depart downtown Anchorage 7:00 a.m., 3:00 p.m., arrive Seward 10:10 a.m., 6:10 p.m.; (5) Alaska Cruise Transportation bus, depart various hotels in downtown Anchorage between 1:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m., arrive Seward 5:00 p.m.; (6) Alaska Cruise Transportation bus, depart Anchorage airport 11:00 a.m., 2:30 p.m., arrive Seward 1:30 p.m., 5:00 p.m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We sailed on the Radiance of the Seas out of Seward last August. We drove. Our assigned check in time was 1pm. We arrived very early and dropped off our checked luggage around 10:30am at a well labeled conex outside the terminal building, then parked our car away from the port and got a ride back around 11:45am. The cruise terminal employees waved us inside the building. It was EMPTY. They didn't care that our appointment was at 1pm. We checked in and were on the ship by noon.

For a few short hours, we had a 90,000 ton, fully staffed private yacht.

Lunch was ready and very relaxing without a crowd. Practically every seat in every lounge and bar on the ship was available. We got some photos on deck and the interior spaces, checked into our stateroom and tried the solarium pool and hot tub.

If you enjoy having the ship to yourself, show up as early as Royal will let you. Maybe 11am.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2023 at 10:45 AM, rdcmadden said:

We did this train last year and are doing again this August.  You check in for the train and leave your luggage at the Egan Center.  You will then board a bus which takes you to the train terminal at the airport.  The train leaves at 1pm. It arrives about 5:30 directly at the cruise terminal.  You will get off the train and walk about 500 yards to the cruise terminal to check in and board the ship.  Our luggage was already in our cabin by the time we boarded the ship.  It is the best way to go in my opinion and the train ride is beautiful!  One of the highlights of our trip.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 6:43 AM, rdcmadden said:

We are cruising out of Seward in June. We are staying in Anchorage the night before the cruise. I am exploring transportation options for our party of 6. What time can we board the ship? The reason I ask this is because the Royal Caribbean chartered buses and train arrive in Seward late in the day, around 5PM. It seems that a lot of passengers will be boarding late in the day and maybe the bags will be getting to the cabin very late. I would like to board in early afternoon if possible and would like suggestions for transportation from Anchorage. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.   

There is also a bus option for getting to Seward. 

https://www.sewardalaskabus.com/

There are a couple of early afternoon departures. 

🛳enJOY

It's a bit of a hike into town from the train depot and even farther from the cruise terminal.  There is a free shuttle that goes around but CALL the Seward Chamber of Commerce to get the schedule and find out when they start running the shuttle.  Nothing is a guarantee anymore after covid and Seward was quite impacted.  It's about 1.5 miles to downtown.  There are no Ubers or one way rental car drop offs.  There is A taxi that I am aware of, but don't count on it.