Paying for someone special dinner ?......

monakayk

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise with my daughter and have more on board credit than she has. I was wondering if I could use some of my onboard credit to pay for her specialty dinner? If so, how is this done without her being charged?

Thanks in advance.

52 minutes ago, monakayk said:

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise with my daughter and have more on board credit than she has. I was wondering if I could use some of my onboard credit to pay for her specialty dinner? If so, how is this done without her being charged?

Thanks in advance.

Have them put the charge on your folio. 

• Like 1

Are you going to be joining her?  Have both bookings "linked" and then just make your reservation normally, including your daughter as a second guest.

You can have bookings linked by opening a chat session directly on the Princess website or by calling in.  You will need both of your booking numbers to do so.

• Like 1

I presume that you are dining together.  When the bill comes around just let the waiter know that you are taking care of the table, and they will bill your room for the meal, not all that different from charging a meal to your room at a hotel on land.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeromep said:

I presume that you are dining together.  When the bill comes around just let the waiter know that you are taking care of the table, and they will bill your room for the meal, not all that different from charging a meal to your room at a hotel on land.

Better tell them when you make a reservation.

They no longer bring a bill. At least that was our experience in August on the Emerald.

6 hours ago, jeromep said:

You will never see a physical "bill".

18 hours ago, monakayk said:

Thanks in advance.

I can give my experience, from Sapphire in February.  We reserved a Specialty Restaurant dinner in Sterling Steakhouse with our co-travelling couple, who were linked in the MedallionClass app.  Before the cruise, I called Princess and asked to have the other couple's dinner charged to my account.  I soon saw a charge to my credit card for $50 from Princess.

But after the shared meal on the ship, our friends' dinner was charged to their account, producing some volume of tears and anguish.  I went to Guest Services, who said the $50 credit went to my shipboard account, was not allocated to a restaurant dinner, and anyway was short by about $10 for a Specialty Restaurant dinner-for-two.  About 20 minutes, which included handing the Guest Services rep a $10 bill in cash, all was squared away.  I was able to photograph a corrected billing for my friends' account to show her, drying the tears and mending the rended garments.

My procedure obviously did NOT work.  Perhaps a conversation with the Maitre D' on entering the Specialty Restaurant with your daughter would be the best plan.

--Marne

Edited by marne-c
  • Like 2

We are traveling with friends, and our booking numbers are linked. We have a free first night dinner but our friends do not. We’d like them to join us and we will pay for their dinner. I made reservations at Crown grill for us, but I can’t figure out how to add them to our reservation. For the rest of the cruise, we have reservations at the same time, in the same dining room, and it shows we’ll be together. Any ideas? 

19 hours ago, Crystabel said:

We are traveling with friends, and our booking numbers are linked. We have a free first night dinner but our friends do not. We’d like them to join us and we will pay for their dinner. I made reservations at Crown grill for us, but I can’t figure out how to add them to our reservation. For the rest of the cruise, we have reservations at the same time, in the same dining room, and it shows we’ll be together. Any ideas? 

I booked all of my groups dinner reservations using the Medallian app, first I added my family as travel companions, secondly I changed my reservations and selected all my travel companions. Then I completed the reservation for the night. For the speciality dinner reservations I used my “free” credits” but had to pay for one extra person using my credit card. 

Since I am Elite I can book my reservations before final payment and my travel mates are not able to do this yet.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:48 AM, marne-c said:

But after the shared meal on the ship, our friends' dinner was charged to their account, producing some volume of tears and anguish...... .....  I was able to photograph a corrected billing for my friends' account to show her, drying the tears and mending the rended garments.

Yikes.  That must've been some meal to elicit that kind of emotion. Sorry that it wasn't handled properly.  Thanks for the warning.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:09 AM, jeromep said:

We just tried this on the Sapphire in Feb.  Told the waiter at Sabatini's that one cabin was to be billed for all three dinners.  It did not happen that way and I did not notice until we were getting off the ship as we dined there the last night of the cruise.  Should be easy, surprised it was not.