Alaskan Cruisetour - Question for those who've gone in the last few years

I highly suggest you spend a fair amount of time reading the Alaska port of call forum.  I began reading it AFTER I booked.  If I had read it before I would have done a few things differently.  The people who post there have so much knowledge and are not afraid to share an opinion.

For example, my tour was going to include the Denali Natural History tour which I found out only goes 25 miles into the park.  I exchanged this for the Tundra Wilderness tour which goes much farther. People on that forum told me I would not see many animals on the history tour.  

The train cars are very nice.  It was an 8 hr trip from Denali to anchorage--but, we enjoyed it.  The windows are huge and everyone can see well.  The day was cloudy as we left the park, but we soon had sunshine.

P9090040.thumb.JPG.b8b27644e7350bf3717932007f92540f.JPG

IMG_5862.thumb.JPG.ed0a071e704d5d5e05ac662317eebb02.JPG

The scenery is amazing. I noted another person said it was a dud.  We had a clear day and beautiful sights.  JMHO

IMG_5849.thumb.JPG.3b173f89db307d427827f8fe18ec612a.JPG

Only about a third of visitors get to see a full view of Denali.  We were so lucky.  There was a photographer near us.  We heard he fist bump and say that this was the money shot. LOL

Denali from the train. They slowed the train down so we could all get views and pictures. IMG_5856.thumb.JPG.54fa18dffbf61aeb7655c616636e9133.JPG

I enlarged this--but such a great sight!

IMG_5852.thumb.JPG.68f725f97e64c4747ce977ea0931827e.JPG

YMMV

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’ve read on CC we can’t book the extra excursions on the land portion until we get there and meet with the tour guide the first evening.  

This may very well be the case.  I simply can’t recall.

14 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The optional land tours are posted on Royals site.  Very hidden.  Search cruise tours and you should find it.  I’ve read on CC we can’t book the extra excursions on the land portion until we get there and meet with the tour guide the first evening.  It may help to see them prior to know what you want when you meet up.  It will also give you an idea as to the extra cost.  I have no idea as to the number of people on these so hoping sign up isn’t a zoo.  

I’ve asked on the Alaska board and was advised that a couple spent an additional $600 on food cost on the land tour since it’s not included.  I’m sure it will vary but it’s a guess. We ride the dome trains but I don’t think meals are included on those but I know they have food to purchase.

I’ve received nothing in communication from Royal but assume I’ll hear more after final payment including about luggage. I’m not sure if there are restrictions on that or not. I doubt we’ll know times of anything until we get there.  

If others have done it, please enlighten us. 

I did not spend $600 on food.  We did buy 2 meals on the train, a few meals in Anchorage (we started our cruise tour in Anchorage and then visited it again), and some others.  I guess it depends where you eat.  

The amount of people on our tour was a bus full.  We had one bus and it was full.  Bus was a tour bus, with bathroom.

The only different excursions I recall were in Denali--if you wanted to get up early to do the wilderness tour where you might see wild animals.  I wanted to do that, but my mother didn't so we just did the regular tour.  

Thank you, @DragonOfTheSeas!  Denali is so HUGE that it’s rare that the ENTIRE mountain is completely visible.  Clouds may block out a portion of it and, unfortunately, some have said that couldn’t see any of it due to cloud cover.  We were also lucky and saw it in its entirety.  This was a number of years ago and we traveled much further into the park.

Yes, one should upgrade to the Tundra Tour.

Buses are operated by a concessionaire.  They are equipped with video screens and the driver/guide had a telescopic lens.  We were able to see grizzly, caribou and moose relatively close to the bus.  Dahl sheep are usually up on the cliffs and the guide will find them and show them on the video screens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

I did a quick search but couldn’t find an answer for you.  I also quickly checked 2023 assuming that possibly offerings for 9/24 haven’t been finalized.  Nothing.

I’m even having a hard time trying to remember exactly what we did during those times noted as “your free time.”   Any add’l excursions you’d like to add would be those offered during any of those times.  For example, during your stay in Denali, there may be a whitewater raft trip on the Nenana River or ATV trips.  The Lodge that RCL uses outside Denali will have an evening dinner/theater show.  Talkeetna?  Tour of a sled dog kennel.  I recall there’s a zip line there as well.  You can even book fixed wing plane and helicopter trips.

You’re right, though.  I can’t find anything at the RCL website or app.  I should also say we tend to NOT book the cruise line excursions.  If you’d like to get an idea about the types of excursions offered, you could check out Viator or Shore Excursions Group (which is not affiliated with RCL).  For Shore Excursions Group you can plug in your ship, sail date etc and you will be shown excursions for the cruise ports.  To find excursions for Talkeetna, however, click on DESTINATIONS on the top bar.  Then click on ALASKA EXCURSIONS.  Then scroll down until you see a click-on for INLAND AND CITY TOURS.  Click on ALASKA INTERIOR. Or do a search to find contact information for the individual vendors.  Very often the vendors you can book, say, through Viator are the same vendors that RCL contracts.  

Upgrade from Natural History Tour to Tundra Wilderness Tour.  Yes, you can book in advance through RCL (call in).  When we did it, we did it on the motor coach after it left Seward.

Yes its difficult.  I can't exactly book anything outside as I have no idea what our schedule is!  We may have to DIY a lot which is normal for us.  

It’s interesting that you can’t get what seems to be really important information.  How can you plan?  I did go to the Princess site and pulled up one of its cruise tours.  Clicked on Excursions and it did provide a list of excursions for the Denali stay.  There must be time during the stay there to take one of those excursions or they wouldn’t be listed.  Interestingly, some of them appear to be very similar to the excursions offered at Viator.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=A316&resType=T&tourCode=T3ADA4

https://www.viator.com/tours/Denali-National-Park/Black-Diamond-Tundra-Golfing-Package/d22364-17896P6

Edited by ILCTCRUISER

9 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

It’s interesting that you can’t get what seems to be really important information.  How can you plan?  I did go to the Princess site and pulled up one of its cruise tours.  Clicked on Excursions and it did provide a list of excursions for the Denali stay.  There must be time during the stay there to take one of those excursions or they wouldn’t be listed.  Interestingly, some of them appear to be very similar to the excursions offered at Viator.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=A316&resType=T&tourCode=T3ADA4

https://www.viator.com/tours/Denali-National-Park/Black-Diamond-Tundra-Golfing-Package/d22364-17896P6

They do not want you to plan outside DIY things.  They want you to purchase the add-ons from them.   That is why I suggested the OP research on that forum.  

For example.  Rather than the more expensive sled dog tour [which I have heard is excellent] I went to the National Park Service sled dog demonstration for free.  We saw the demo and we were able to pet the dogs.  It was very good and it was all I needed.  YMMV  With kids you may want to ride a sled. 

P9090020.thumb.JPG.e1ad0cd2816149517fb3d99b31a28839.JPG

P9090007.thumb.JPG.6fc6395694d632d769eb29fb768320d9.JPG

P9090018.thumb.JPG.705039abeade31f6bbbfd29420ac3a74.JPG

We also followed the Denali puppy cam during the year.  

P9090016.thumb.JPG.23ba783e2e93bbb958bac38930d73be9.JPG

• Like 1

We did an Alaska Cruisetour a few years back and don't remember there being many, if any, kids on the land portion. We were fortunate, like the previous poster, and had clear views of Denali for the time we could view her. It was amazing. We did the tour that flew to Brooks Camp to view the bears and also did a flight across Denali. Like I said, AMAZING!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’ve read on CC we can’t book the extra excursions on the land portion until we get there and meet with the tour guide the first evening.

I'm pretty sure that's what we were told at the time regarding the land-based extra excursions when we were originally supposed to take this cruisetour on Celebrity a couple of years ago (didn't go because it got cancelled due to Covid).  

On 3/24/2023 at 10:44 PM, Vagabond Knight said:

woah! that's amazing!  I have never seen anything concrete about the options on the cruisetours!  I am not on one, but I know it is built in a way to book the optional things when you start the tour, so not having things planned in advance isn't something you need to be concerned about (just for all the folks that may be).  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 2:18 PM, ILCTCRUISER said:

I did a quick search but couldn’t find an answer for you.  I also quickly checked 2023 assuming that possibly offerings for 9/24 haven’t been finalized.  Nothing.

I’m even having a hard time trying to remember exactly what we did during those times noted as “your free time.”   Any add’l excursions you’d like to add would be those offered during any of those times.  For example, during your stay in Denali, there may be a whitewater raft trip on the Nenana River or ATV trips.  The Lodge that RCL uses outside Denali will have an evening dinner/theater show.  Talkeetna?  Tour of a sled dog kennel.  I recall there’s a zip line there as well.  You can even book fixed wing plane and helicopter trips.

You’re right, though.  I can’t find anything at the RCL website or app.  I should also say we tend to NOT book the cruise line excursions.  If you’d like to get an idea about the types of excursions offered, you could check out Viator or Shore Excursions Group (which is not affiliated with RCL).  For Shore Excursions Group you can plug in your ship, sail date etc and you will be shown excursions for the cruise ports.  To find excursions for Talkeetna, however, click on DESTINATIONS on the top bar.  Then click on ALASKA EXCURSIONS.  Then scroll down until you see a click-on for INLAND AND CITY TOURS.  Click on ALASKA INTERIOR. Or do a search to find contact information for the individual vendors.  Very often the vendors you can book, say, through Viator are the same vendors that RCL contracts.  

Upgrade from Natural History Tour to Tundra Wilderness Tour.  Yes, you can book in advance through RCL (call in).  When we did it, we did it on the motor coach after it left Seward.

Another cruiser here heading to Alaska this summer.  Have you booked through Shore Excursions Group before? There are only 30 reviews on TripAdvisor and 27 are bad, but on Trustpilot there are over 5,200 and they have a 4.4 out of 5. Thanks for your help.

On 3/24/2023 at 8:11 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

The optional land tours are posted on Royals site.  Very hidden.  Search cruise tours and you should find it.  I’ve read on CC we can’t book the extra excursions on the land portion until we get there and meet with the tour guide the first evening.  It may help to see them prior to know what you want when you meet up.  It will also give you an idea as to the extra cost.  I have no idea as to the number of people on these so hoping sign up isn’t a zoo.  

I’ve asked on the Alaska board and was advised that a couple spent an additional $600 on food cost on the land tour since it’s not included.  I’m sure it will vary but it’s a guess. We ride the dome trains but I don’t think meals are included on those but I know they have food to purchase.

I’ve received nothing in communication from Royal but assume I’ll hear more after final payment including about luggage. I’m not sure if there are restrictions on that or not. I doubt we’ll know times of anything until we get there.  

If others have done it, please enlighten us. 

Yes we were not able to book any of the extra excursions until we met our guide. Son, wife and I did two different UTV tours, Zip Line and White water rafting during our 6 night land cruise tour with Royal. Our bush plane excursion to the North Pole got cancelled because of the forest fires. So that night, we rented a truck and drove to Chena Hot springs and spent two nights there at the lodge. It was a nice drive back and forth from Fairbanks. Saw more wild life on that drive than our Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali. 

Most we spent to eat was in, Denali, where we spent 2 nights. Royal does not include any meals (except for the box lunch included in Tundra tour) so we ate in town instead of the lodge that royal uses. Fairbanks and Anchorage was not that bad to find places to eat. The train ride dining came out to a little over $100 each meal for the 3 of us.  We had 2 meals on the train. 

8 hours ago, Bkchero said:

Another cruiser here heading to Alaska this summer.  Have you booked through Shore Excursions Group before? There are only 30 reviews on TripAdvisor and 27 are bad, but on Trustpilot there are over 5,200 and they have a 4.4 out of 5. Thanks for your help.

We have but booked more through Viator.  Interesting about the reviews.  TripAdvisor owns Viator.

9 hours ago, Bkchero said:

Shore excursions group as well as viator are both resellers....the best way to get thorough and direct customer service (which many of the reviews may be focusing on) is to go directly to the source.....I had the idea the other day to USE TripAdvisor to see what tours come up as options, because they have the tour company website linked....(or at least the name of the company included) so that would be a great place to start....

On 4/13/2023 at 3:23 AM, frank808 said:

Yes we were not able to book any of the extra excursions until we met our guide. Son, wife and I did two different UTV tours, Zip Line and White water rafting during our 6 night land cruise tour with Royal. Our bush plane excursion to the North Pole got cancelled because of the forest fires. So that night, we rented a truck and drove to Chena Hot springs and spent two nights there at the lodge. It was a nice drive back and forth from Fairbanks. Saw more wild life on that drive than our Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali. 

Most we spent to eat was in, Denali, where we spent 2 nights. Royal does not include any meals (except for the box lunch included in Tundra tour) so we ate in town instead of the lodge that royal uses. Fairbanks and Anchorage was not that bad to find places to eat. The train ride dining came out to a little over $100 each meal for the 3 of us.  We had 2 meals on the train. 

How did you get into town from Denali to eat?  I figured we’d be trapped at most of the places we’re staying without other options.  

Good to know about the drive to Chena hot springs. We’ve rented a car to do that, coming in the day before the cruise tour starts. 

It’s also very helpful to know about food costs for planning.  When we booked this trip we had no idea how expensive one way airfare would be or excursions in Alaska. We’ve done Europe for a lot less.  However, it’s all good and we getting excited to go! 

On 4/13/2023 at 4:23 AM, frank808 said:

Is there some kind of bus, taxi, Lyft or Uber service available to get into town and back?

Six years ago, we took the 8B tour from Fairbanks to Seward. When there try to visit Pioneer Park. At that particular time, the land portion was under a third-party contractor which had it's moments along the way to Seward. To our surprise, the questions after the trip only referred to the cruise, and not the landtrip. Info may be old and not the way it is currently

43 minutes ago, cargopilot said:

Six years ago, we took the 8B tour from Fairbanks to Seward. When there try to visit Pioneer Park. At that particular time, the land portion was under a third-party contractor which had it's moments along the way to Seward. To our surprise, the questions after the trip only referred to the cruise, and not the landtrip. Info may be old and not the way it is currently

Yes, it seems odd, but it has been my impression (even back when we booked this the first time a few years ago through Celebrity and didn't get to go due to the Covid cancellation) that the tour and the cruise were surprisingly separate. You kind of get that impression when you see a lot of the documentation refer to the dates of the cruise rather than the entire cruisetour.  I called in to get something corrected and they couldn't even look it up by start date of the tour, only by the start date of the cruise, and when we tried to fill out the form to transfer the cruise to our travel agent, it said there was no such matching reservation when we tried to use the date of the pre-cruise land tour start.  Yet I believe that Royal owns the special train cars that we'll be using for the rail legs, so go figure.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:38 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

How did you get into town from Denali to eat?  I figured we’d be trapped at most of the places we’re staying without other options.  

Good to know about the drive to Chena hot springs. We’ve rented a car to do that, coming in the day before the cruise tour starts. 

It’s also very helpful to know about food costs for planning.  When we booked this trip we had no idea how expensive one way airfare would be or excursions in Alaska. We’ve done Europe for a lot less.  However, it’s all good and we getting excited to go! 

On 4/14/2023 at 5:39 AM, Vagabond Knight said:

Is there some kind of bus, taxi, Lyft or Uber service available to get into town and back?

There was a shuttle provided by the hotel that did roundtrips to town and back until a certain hour. The hotel that Royal uses also has a restaurant. Across the highway from the hotel, there were some lunch trucks you could buy food from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2023 at 12:10 PM, Vagabond Knight said:

Yes, it seems odd, but it has been my impression (even back when we booked this the first time a few years ago through Celebrity and didn't get to go due to the Covid cancellation) that the tour and the cruise were surprisingly separate. You kind of get that impression when you see a lot of the documentation refer to the dates of the cruise rather than the entire cruisetour.  I called in to get something corrected and they couldn't even look it up by start date of the tour, only by the start date of the cruise, and when we tried to fill out the form to transfer the cruise to our travel agent, it said there was no such matching reservation when we tried to use the date of the pre-cruise land tour start.  Yet I believe that Royal owns the special train cars that we'll be using for the rail legs, so go figure.

We had the opportunity to get a better cabin, larger balcony, before final payment.  We didn’t simply because I was afraid someone would screw up the reservation and drop the land portion.  I’ve heard of things like that happening and it wasn’t worth it to try it.  We already have our airfare into Fairbanks so I didn’t risk it.

Royal doesn’t recognize B2B in their system either as each one is completely independent of the other.  For Australia they changed ships on us after booking.  They gave us new cabins without even trying to place anyone in the same one for consecutive cruisers.  There are many who were effected.  We now have 4 cruises in a row in 4 different cabins.  

Again that’s why I didn’t mess with the Alaska booking. Making final payment today so hoping all goes well and we start to get some information on the land portion.  

10 hours ago, frank808 said:

There was a shuttle provided by the hotel that did roundtrips to town and back until a certain hour. The hotel that Royal uses also has a restaurant. Across the highway from the hotel, there were some lunch trucks you could buy food from.

This seems like a dumb question, but what town is it?