French Bullet Train from Bordeaux to Paris

AZluv

Hello!

We would like to take the French Bullet Train from Bordeaux to Paris in August.

Unfortunately, we will have heavy carry-on size suitcases to lug on board.  Will this be a problem?

Are there storage compartments for large pieces of luggage?

We would appreciate advice.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

A bit like Eurostar. but trying to make a getaway with a heavy suitcase on  a train would be just a bit stupid.

True, but it doesn't stop me from worrying the whole journey!

When I was researching trains from Paris CDG to Bordeaux for this August via the SNCF website, Inoui! seemed to be the only option. Our arrival time at the airport was too late for a direct train from there or way too early for the next train so I was planning on booking an 1100 train from Gare Montparnasse. My two attempts to purchase tickets via the SNCF website failed so I took that as a sign to forgo Bordeaux, since the focus of our trip is the Dordogne.

With all your luggage, why not consider a one-way car rental?

44 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

My two attempts to purchase tickets via the SNCF website failed so I took that as a sign to forgo Bordeaux, since the focus of our trip is the Dordogne.

The French railway site is not foreign friendly. I suggest checking The Man in Seat 61 (seat61.com) for the best way to buy tickets for French railway trips.

• Like 2

@gnome12

Thanks. I use the Man whenever planning Europe train travel. We were on a cruise when I received an email fare alert from SCNF that the seats were now available for our travel date! My first attempt was navigating the French site on my Ipad and the 2nd was on my laptop using the English link when the ship's internet crashed just as I was to enter my cc info.

So....I took that as a sign to rethink plans. We will pick up a rental car at CDG the morning we arrive vs picking one up in Bordeaux the following day. We'll have a drive @1 hour to Fountainebleu, check into the Ibis hotel there which has a standard arrival time of noon (Hotel manager has emailed me that we could likely check in at 11), and drive to Sarlat the next day.

Less schlepping, less money and hopefully a rest area along the route!

We did this in October 2021 with carryon bags and struggled going up and down the stairs to our seats on the top level.  The stairs are narrow, twisted, and steep.  If you have heavy bags, I recommend picking seats on the lower level.  The trip was great.

We had first class tickets on this train......UNFORTUNATELY we had to lug our heavy suitcases up a spital staircase to the top level......Never been in first class and had to go upstairs.....We are usually down with our luggage in sight....We do cable several bags together.

We take a full-sized suitcase that holds things for both of us and then 2 carry-on sizes (1 each), plus personal items.  We have always had room in the train cars for our luggage.  When you buy your tickets and choose your seats, you should be able to see where the luggage racks are on the diagram.  You can choose seats closer to the luggage if you want.  We've also been on some cars with storage above the seats, but I cannot remember whether it was TGV or ICE.  If the train has 2 levels, be sure to choose seats on the lower level.  Someone mentioned The Man in Seat 61.  We sometimes book on the SNCF Connect site; sometimes on Trainline.