Celebrity vs Azamara?

lv2cruisgrl

We are also Elite Plus and enjoyed most of our 31 cruises with Azamara for the same reasons given above by @Cruisewilm

However around 2018 on Azamara, the music volume started to increase to a dangerous decibel level (85) and although we had enjoyed dancing in the evenings, that enjoyment dropped off and on our most recent in February, after a few days we avoided entertainment areas during performance times, after finding that on most occasions 85 decibels was the minimum, which increased at times to 100 decibels. Although the problem was discussed with staff "nothing could be done."

A direct contrast was on Celebrity in December, where a sound technician would check levels prior to each bracket and the decibel level did not exceed 80, which we were able to enjoy.

We sailed on Azamara and thought it offered an excellent experience.   We book at least the Club Continent Suite as it offers unlimited dining in the two specialty restaurants.    We never ate in the MDR and just alternated between the specialties.    We did buy the ultimate package and we’re always able to get excellent wines and other beverages.   The White night party, the Azamazing evening and the chocolate party were all a lot of fun.   The prices are better than Celebrity suites and they often have specials such as second person in suite is 60% off.

On 3/26/2023 at 6:29 PM, Tom47 said:

Bathrooms & showers both smaller

And the shower curtain clings to you! Well, it did on Quest in 2016.

That said I am still looking for an itinerary that appeals and I haven’t found one on Celebrity Silhouette this year, which is her last sailing from Southampton. 
The Azamara TA sailing we did was in 2016. We had 4 ports on each side of the pond.It was all inclusive, which you have to pay extra for on Celebrity( we are Elite Plus, so have plenty of experience). We also had port transfers included eg Honfleur.

Edited by upwarduk

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

That said I am still looking for an itinerary that appeals and I haven’t found one on Celebrity Silhouette this year, which is her last sailing from Southampton. 
The Azamara TA sailing we did was in 2016. We had 4 ports on each side of the pond.It was all inclusive, which you have to pay extra for on Celebrity( we are Elite Plus, so have plenty of experience). We also had port transfers included eg Honfleur.

We use magnetic clips from Amazon go hold the showed curtain in place.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cruisewilm said:

On second thought, our only complaint was indeed the music level in the evening upstairs. Way too loud.  Next time we sail, I might have to make it a personal challenge to get the level reduced.

Pardon my cynicism, but, good luck with that!

We have tried without success to have the volume reduced to a safe level on several cruises over a few years since the escalation in volume first started.

Edited by Baynanno1

14 hours ago, upwarduk said:

The shower curtains have been replaced with a heavier fabric which gives a much better experience.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 9:31 AM, TeeRick said:

Anybody here sail Siversea as they are the small luxury line now for the Royal Caribbean Group?  I would like to know how they compare to Azamara and Oceania.

Hi. We have sailed on Silversea many times and have just recently been trying Celebrity out. I am also looking at Oceania right now. From what I can see so far, the main difference is that Silversea is all-inclusive. Oceania still has beverage packages to purchase and Wi-fi to pay for whereas that is automatically included in the price on Silversea. Drinks are included and unlimited. The new Silversea model seems to be a full experience with flights, transfers, and even transportation to and from your home. I'm not sure what I think of that. Most of Silversea's restaurants are included but there are a few with a cover charge on the various ships. I would think the general vibe on board Oceania and possibly Azamara is similar.

14 hours ago, lolawpb said:

Hi. We have sailed on Silversea many times and have just recently been trying Celebrity out. I am also looking at Oceania right now. From what I can see so far, the main difference is that Silversea is all-inclusive. Oceania still has beverage packages to purchase and Wi-fi to pay for whereas that is automatically included in the price on Silversea. Drinks are included and unlimited. The new Silversea model seems to be a full experience with flights, transfers, and even transportation to and from your home. I'm not sure what I think of that. Most of Silversea's restaurants are included but there are a few with a cover charge on the various ships. I would think the general vibe on board Oceania and possibly Azamara is similar.

Thanks so much.  We are considering Silversea for the Galapagos.

We are also looking at a SS sailing - Venice to Rome 2024. The cost of the 10 day SS is actually the same as a 10 day X cruise in The Retreat.  Also, the SS cruise includes transport from home to airport via limo and a variety of included excursions. We like Retreat but the SS is a better fit on a port intensive itin.

Royal Caribbean Group should do a better job at showing pax that there is a path for different stages of cruise vacation experiences. Kids?  Royal.  Adults? Celebrity. Adults with money?  SS.

Talking with SS, there is no reciprocity with X or RC in any way.  There isn't too much that SS could offer as it is all inclusive, but some X points would be great.  It would be a natural that RCG would steer upper level pax looking for the next step to SS instead of wandering off to Seabourne, Regent et al..

25 minutes ago, tfred said:

We are also looking at a SS sailing - Venice to Rome 2024. The cost of the 10 day SS is actually the same as a 10 day X cruise in The Retreat.  Also, the SS cruise includes transport from home to airport via limo and a variety of included excursions. We like Retreat but the SS is a better fit on a port intensive itin.

Royal Caribbean Group should do a better job at showing pax that there is a path for different stages of cruise vacation experiences. Kids?  Royal.  Adults? Celebrity. Adults with money?  SS.

Talking with SS, there is no reciprocity with X or RC in any way.  There isn't too much that SS could offer as it is all inclusive, but some X points would be great.  It would be a natural that RCG would steer upper level pax looking for the next step to SS instead of wandering off to Seabourne, Regent et al..

I have sailed that itinerary, in reverse order, with SS. It was my favorite cruise. While I enjoyed the Retreat on my recent Beyond voyage, there are other advantages to SS. Since the ship is not as large and the "Retreat type" service is throughout the ship, it doesn't feel as restrictive. The excursions are often more unique and many are small group adventures. Sometimes you will dock in smaller ports which is a different experience than the tourist ports give. SS will dock in both types depending on the itinerary. We love SS and will sail with them again at some point. We are trying Celebrity for a few Florida-based cruises  because we can drive to Lauderdale or Miami and park easily. Our recent Beyond voyage was great but we were only sailing to relax and enjoy the ship so I can say that the less populated ships are my favorite for port-intensive voyages. SS ships never feel crowded and the vibe is quieter without the vivacious pool atmosphere we saw on Celebrity so keep that in mind. The shows are mostly musical performances and aren't technical feats like the ones we saw on Beyond but that can be a personal preference also. They have trivia, golf putting, pool volleyball, guest lecturers which usually tie into the location, etc. so we found plenty to do on board. I agree about the points as I have a lot of SS points and now have a separate Captains Club account. I believe SS used to allow them to add up for credit on a cruise but I'm not sure what they are good for now.

On 3/27/2023 at 6:00 PM, Baynanno1 said:

However around 2018 on Azamara, the music volume started to increase to a dangerous decibel level (85) and although we had enjoyed dancing in the evenings, that enjoyment dropped off and on our most recent in February, after a few days we avoided entertainment areas during performance times, after finding that on most occasions 85 decibels was the minimum, which increased at times to 100 decibels. Although the problem was discussed with staff "nothing could be done."

On 3/28/2023 at 12:28 AM, Cruisewilm said:

On second thought, our only complaint was indeed the music level in the evening upstairs. Way too loud.  Next time we sail, I might have to make it a personal challenge to get the level reduced.

I am glad you mentioned that.  We had the same issue, and I had forgotten about that.  I had no issue with volume in The Den, but it got to be too much in The Living Room.  The volume increased with every set.  It would be okay earlier in the evening, but it was far too loud after dinner.  I hated that because we enjoyed the band very much, but I couldn't take it.  The volume in the theatre was pretty dadgum high, too.  

We also remarked to bartenders and officers and even the band, and we got the same "nothing could be done" reply.  Apparently, someone pretty high up has the idea that it's to be this way.  We also did mention it in our post-cruise survey.

I say we keep fighting the good fight.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I am glad you mentioned that.  We had the same issue, and I had forgotten about that.  I had no issue with volume in The Den, but it got to be too much in The Living Room.  The volume increased with every set.  It would be okay earlier in the evening, but it was far too loud after dinner.  I hated that because we enjoyed the band very much, but I couldn't take it.  The volume in the theatre was pretty dadgum high, too.  

We also remarked to bartenders and officers and even the band, and we got the same "nothing could be done" reply.  Apparently, someone pretty high up has the idea that it's to be this way.  We also did mention it in our post-cruise survey.

I say we keep fighting the good fight.  

Absolutely - if you do nothing, it will never change!

• Like 1