hawaiian shirts

flare3192

We are also from the UK and my husband has a number of Tommy Bahama silk ‘Hawaiian’ shirts (bought in US) which he wears when we travel to Europe or on a cruise in warm months. Most of them are patterned but not gaudy, in fact quite subtle patterns, and they look very smart - definitely look smarter than a normal polo shirt IMHO! 

• Like 6

On 3/26/2023 at 11:48 PM, MadMarine said:

So, I’m guessing my silk Tommy Bahama aloha shirt somehow offends the spirit because it doesn’t break the 

1 hour ago, MadMarine said:

My description was perhaps a little misleading, well maybe a lot! 😬. Mine are very muted without the “loud” displays of flora and fauna or surfers.  I’ve worn them on Regent and Silver Seas cruises with nary an evident frown.  Perhaps I was simply delusional and the nice folks were laughing behind my back enjoying my contribution to comic relief?

I have not heard of Tommy Bahana, nor do I know what clothes they produce. 'Hawaiian shirt' usually (over here anyway) refers to a multicolour pattern, often incorporating parrots or flowers, not a designer or style of cut. 

A silk (or any other material) shirt of any solid or subtle pattern would just be 'a shirt' regardless of brand or where it was made. 

Have we been talking about different types of garments? 

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

I have not heard of Tommy Bahana, nor do I know what clothes they produce. 'Hawaiian shirt' usually (over here anyway) refers to a multicolour pattern, often incorporating parrots or flowers, not a designer or style of cut. 

A silk (or any other material) shirt of any solid or subtle pattern would just be 'a shirt' regardless of brand or where it was made. 

Have we been talking about different types of garments? 

Here is an example of one I might wear to dinner. Note these shirts are intended to be worn outside the trousers.  I’ve worn this shirt on a Silver Sea Med cruise to dinner with a pair of khaki trousers.  I might appear to a European traveler as a typical American uncultured rube, but apparently some Europeans are unfamiliar with Hawaiian sartorial splendor. 😊94744764-C21F-46F6-BE56-6BA8EE346249.thumb.jpeg.8e98395aa85370c45467d7d74d1052c8.jpeg

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, MadMarine said:

Here is an example of one I might wear to dinner. Note these shirts are intended to be worn outside the trousers.  I’ve worn this shirt on a Silver Sea Med cruise to dinner with a pair of khaki trousers.  I might appear to a European traveler as a typical American uncultured rube, but apparently some Europeans are unfamiliar with Hawaiian sartorial splendor. 😊94744764-C21F-46F6-BE56-6BA8EE346249.thumb.jpeg.8e98395aa85370c45467d7d74d1052c8.jpeg

That's 'a shirt' subtle pattern usually tucked in for smart casual. Only casual is worn outside trousers or skirt. Borderline given the neckline is not cut to be worn with a tie, but if tie not required OK. 

Silversea, from what I've seen, doesn't do formal or smart casual, being part of a megaship  conglomeration. They accept 'party' as synonymous. It isn't  

Also, short sleeves are casual. Long sleeves may be neatly folded if a tie is not required, being 'smart casual' dress. Smart requires long sleeves and a tie or jacket, or both depending on the event

Edited by KBs mum

28 minutes ago, MadMarine said:

I might appear to a European traveler as a typical American uncultured rube, but apparently some Europeans are unfamiliar with Hawaiian sartorial splendor. 😊94744764-C21F-46F6-BE56-6BA8EE346249.thumb.jpeg.8e98395aa85370c45467d7d74d1052c8.jpeg

I wonder how many Europeans have ever been to Hawaii. There are far closer destinations for Brits among others to take their annual holiday in the sun.

Nice shirt BTW!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

I wonder how many Europeans have ever been to Hawaii. There are far closer destinations for Brits among others to take their annual holiday in the sun.

Nice shirt BTW!

No clue, but most Brits take more than one holiday a year, a minority being of the 'in the sun' category. 

For most Europeans the interesting thing about the Hawaiian islands are the volcanoes and natural history, or the Polynesian/indigenous people and cultures. 

Those interested in military history may perhaps visit the Pearl Harbour raid sites

Edited by KBs mum

18 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

No clue, but most Brits take more than one holiday a year, a minority being of the 'in the sun' category. 

For most Europeans the interesting thing about the Hawaiian islands are the volcanoes and natural history. Those interested in military history may perhaps visit the Pearl Harbour raid sites

Really?  Maybe in your circle but most Brits are delighted to have one holiday a year and for many even that is a dream.  Add to that the challenges and costs that some parts have in getting flights and as a result it is often an  "in the sun" trip because that is where the charter/cheaper flights go.  Nothing wrong with "in the sun" - we do that for the winter just as the US have their snowbirds.

That said, we have been to Hawaii.  There is absolutely no reason that the shirt @MadMarine showed is borderline due to its collar.  It is a beautiful shirt.  Sorry - my husband will be wearing shirts like that many evenings on Viking, they are Ralph Lauren, Burberry and Paul Smith so I hope they meet your standards.  However we know they totally meet Vikings standards and that is all that matters.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Really?  Maybe in your circle but most Brits are delighted to have one holiday a year and for many even that is a dream.  Add to that the challenges and costs that some parts have in getting flights and as a result it is often an  "in the sun" trip because that is where the charter/cheaper flights go.  Nothing wrong with "in the sun" - we do that for the winter just as the US have their snowbirds.

That said, we have been to Hawaii.  There is absolutely no reason that the shirt @MadMarine showed is borderline due to its collar.  It is a beautiful shirt.  Sorry - my husband will be wearing shirts like that many evenings on Viking, they are Ralph Lauren, Burberry and Paul Smith so I hope they meet your standards.  However we know they totally meet Vikings standards and that is all that matters.

And so say all of us 😀

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

You'll find me almost exclusively in Tommy Bahama gear all over the ship and all over the excursions.  If the locals or my dining mates have their nose up where it doesn't belong and they are bothered by it, they can bugger off.  It's a vacation, not a royal holiday.  

• Like 6