Queen Elizabeth Japan

MomentsNotice

Haven't been on a Cunard ship in quite some time. Considering QE 9 day around Japan this April. In general, does QE provide either paid or complementary transportation from dock to nearest town on port days or are we totally on our own if we don't take their tour? 

Thanks in advance. 

I don't know about Japan - but last year  on too long cruises there was buses provided by almost all ports (only exceptions were the Middle East) - either nominal cost or free. Or you didn't need anything special because the port was inthe middle of town 

10 hours ago, MomentsNotice said:

From what I can tell, most of my Japan ports are not in town. 

I haven't sailed Cunard to Japan yet (booked for 2025) but my experience with Cunard in other countries is that they do provide a free shuttle to the nearest city/town even in places where other cruise lines do not.

Perhaps you could ask on a Japan roll call here or read the older ones to see if the matter is mentioned. Mostly I would think you might be doing tours in ports in Japan to make sure you experience the most you can at each port. Tokyo would be an exception as it's easy to get yourself around once you work out how to buy a ticket for the train system. I think the port of Yokohama is quite central.

13 hours ago, alc13 said:

Sounds like the cruise we’ll be on.  I can’t answer your question definitively but am very much assuming a shuttle to town will be available.  Uber is another option.

I'm on the April 19 departure. I don't see a roll call. Is that your cruise and have you found a roll call for it?

It is!  And no, no roll call that I can see.

We're planning to be on our own except in Yatsushiro and Akita.  If we can't catch a shuttle into town I'm assuming there will be taxis at the port, and we'll call an Uber if not. 

I was in Akita last October for 6 days. Amazing totally Japanese town (I didn't see one westerner in my 6 days--loved that!). If you are into art/architecture try to see the Akita Museum of Art designed by Tadao Ando with a very unique  Leonard Foujita 60 foot mural depicting life in Akita throughout the 4 seasons. Museum has a small cafe with lovely view where you can try matcha tea. I'm very excited to return to Akita but probably will stay near the port as I didn't get a chance to explore that area (where the castle is located). . 

Curious about Fukuoka. I believe the port is actually in in Hakata. I don't think Fukuoka has it's own cruise ship port so I'm hoping as itinerary says Fukuoka that the ship will transport us from Hakata to town. Otherwise there is (was) a local bus outside the Hakata Port and the train station is an easy walk as I recall. I've been there twice, once on HAL westerdam where we docked in Hakata (once just on my own). 

In my cruise experience to Japan (which honestly is rather vast) I think every port has had a great tourist info booth to help with planning of what to do and how. I'm rather disappointed that QE has such short hours in the ports, but it is what it is. Excited to be back on a Cunard ship. 

Still working on air etc so haven't had time to explore port locations. But I've been to every one of these towns so it should be easy for me. Probably going to do all on my own but haven't looked at the tours yet.  Planning to go to Taipei for a week before the cruise, then spend a week traveling around Japan after cruise. If I can help with any Japan questions, feel free to email me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alc13 said:

It is!  And no, no roll call that I can see.

We're planning to be on our own except in Yatsushiro and Akita.  If we can't catch a shuttle into town I'm assuming there will be taxis at the port, and we'll call an Uber if not. 

Sounds like a good time to start one then !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MomentsNotice said:

Sorry, just in case above wasn't clear: I am an American Westerner but loved being in a place with no western tourists. Didn't mean to offend anyone. 

Oh, I'm with you on that.  The best travel is when you see and experience new things.

I started a roll call.  Would you mind posting your thoughts about some of the ports you've visited?

Best wishes for your Japan voyages, @alc13 and @MomentsNotice.  I've been on two Cunard trips that had ports in Japan, one in 2017 on QM2 from Hong Kong that called at Nagasaki, and the other in 2019 on QE that originated in Yokohama and called at Aomori and Muroran (for Sapporo) before crossing to Alaska.

As others have mentioned, if the pier isn't in the city centre, there is a Cunard shuttle bus to some central point.  Information I have is below:

Yokohama.  Cunard docks at Daikoku terminal, because QE/QM2/QV cannot fit under the Yokohama bay bridge.  If you are there as a port call (as opposed to embarking or disembarking), a shuttle goes from Daikoku to Osanbashi, which is adjacent to the Nihon-Odori stop on Japan Rail.  If embarking or disembarking, you can take a taxi to Yokohama station, which has frequent train service to Tokyo.

Aomori.  The pier is in the city.  No shuttle needed.

Muroran.  A shuttle went from the ship to the Higashi-Muroran station on Japan Rail.  I think that on upcoming Cunard calls to Sapporo, Cunard will use Otaru terminal rather than Muroran, which is much closer to Sapporo city.

Nagasaki.  The pier is in the city.  No shuttle needed.  There is a stop on Nagasaki's historical tram network nearby to the cruise pier, which is a great way to get around.  Day passes for unlimited travel used to cost Y500 per person (about US$4), and could be purchased at the cruise terminal tourist office.

I love going to Japan.  I used to travel there very regularly for work, and Mrs sfred and I have also been on holiday.  I learned enough Japanese to get by in many circumstances, which was often very useful, but have gotten increasingly rusty over the years.

Everything seems to work smoothy in Japan, sometimes amazingly so.  A favourite story was an occasion where a Shinkansen train mistakenly left Tokyo station a minute or so early, and Japan Rail issued a public apology for the inconvenience which may have been caused to any passengers. 

Edited by sfred
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MomentsNotice said:

Haven't been on a Cunard ship in quite some time. Considering QE 9 day around Japan this April. In general, does QE provide either paid or complementary transportation from dock to nearest town on port days or are we totally on our own if we don't take their tour? 

Thanks in advance. 

Our Last cruise to Japan was April 2019 there was a complimentary shuttle into the nearest towns/cities that has always been the experience on all our Cunard cruises. Akita in April was one of the highlights, shuttle left us off in town and we walked to beautiful park cherry blossoms every where and of course the famous Akita dogs, food stalls and we paid to go into a Japanese Tea Ceremony in the park. As history buffs we took a tour off the ship to visit Nagasaki War Memorial Park and see where the atomic bomb was dropped. I believe this was the first year Cunard started cruising in Japan and with mostly Japanese passengers they appeared to cater mostly for them like early dinner 5.30.It was a pleasure to cruise with these passengers, elegantly dressed, beautiful manners  and in the true Cunard way any small disruptions were professionally dealt with and of course another great cruise!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There is a member, Hlitner, currently on Westerdam for something like 40 some days, mostly in Japan.  Plus he has done some time in Japan pre-cruise.  he is doing a Live From  on the HAL board.  Interesting that he cruises a lot, but can tour on a low budget.  I suggest you go read his thread,  name in thread title is Hank.  He has visited or will visit many of your ports.  EM

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi I’m interested in these threads re Japan . We are booked on the QE for April/May24 circumnavigating Japan . First time from UK to Japan and cruise. Is it easy enough travelling with luggage from cruise port into Tokyo after our cruise disembarks .  We have 3 days in Tokyo , and understand taxis are expensive . Happy doing trains if easy  enough . Thank you for any information . Will be appreciated. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Trinnyessex said:

Hi I’m interested in these threads re Japan . We are booked on the QE for April/May24 circumnavigating Japan . First time from UK to Japan and cruise. Is it easy enough travelling with luggage from cruise port into Tokyo after our cruise disembarks .  We have 3 days in Tokyo , and understand taxis are expensive . Happy doing trains if easy  enough . Thank you for any information . Will be appreciated. 

hi, on QM2 now and we were told that starting sometime in 2024 QE will be docking IN Tokyo rather than Yokohama. As I recall port is about 15 minute ride to ginza. So keep checking with Cunard. Perhaps u will be lucky and your cruise will dock in Tokyo rather than Yokohama. . 

taxis in Tokyo are expensive but much easier with luggage taxiing from dock directly to hotel. As I recall several years ago we paid around $75 taxi Yokohama main dock ( farther than daikoku where QE docks) to Sheraton in Minato-ku. Your hotel could probably give u an estimate if u contact concierge. 

otherwise u will need to walk or taxi to subway station, change in Yokohama station into tokyo, perhaps change subways again to your hotels local station, and walk or taxi to your hotel. 

Enjoy japan. It is a fascinating country and if u can squeeze in a few more days pre or post cruise, consider it. 

note, I took the QE circumnavigation in April 2023 and Cunard had complimentary shuttles in every port. There was even an unpublished shuttle from the big park in Yokohama to daikoku. Sorry forgot name of park but if h can find roll call for April 19,2023 QE circumnavigation, there is detailed info. 

Edited by MomentsNotice
  • Like 3

We planned to take a train from Yokohama to Tokyo after our Apr Japan cruise, but ended up being unsure about finding a train that would also take our luggage.  I’m sure if we’d gone to the station an agent would have helped us sort it out but we decided to do the easy thing and took a taxi instead.  

Once in Tokyo, the subways and buses take you anywhere you need to go.  But it is an incredibly complex system and a navigation app is invaluable.  We found Google maps to be terrific - it even identifies the number of the exit to take at the destination.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trinnyessex said:

Trains in Japan are amazingly excellent, and train stations almost always have convenient ramps and lifts to enable wheeled/heavy luggage.   Trains from Yokohama to Tokyo are frequent, comparatively inexpensive, and extremely reliable.  Count on between 40-60 minutes for the trip, depending on where in Tokyo you are going.  Knowing a little Japanese is a plus, but there is also English signage.  The one complication, however, is that the trains also tend to be very crowded.  You can probably find space for yourselves plus one or two bags, but if you have a lot more then you might not fit easily.  It isn't just during "rush hour" - trains are busy at all times.  Carriages towards the front or rear tend to have slightly more space.  Platforms are clearly marked for where carriages and doors will stop.

I've done the reverse route - Tokyo Shinjuku station to Yokohama - for boarding QE

A great English or Japanese language web site to get train itineraries and times is at:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

I'm envious - Japan is a fantastic country to travel in.  Good luck! 

Edited by sfred
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MomentsNotice said:

note, I took the QE circumnavigation in April 2023 and Cunard had complimentary shuttles in every port. There was even an unpublished shuttle from the big park in Yokohama to daikoku. Sorry forgot name of park but if h can find roll call for April 19,2023 QE circumnavigation, there is detailed info. 

When we were aboard QE in 2019, Cunard shuttles went from Yokohama Oshanbashi, adjacent to Nihon-Odori station, and were for excursion passengers only, not embarking/disembarking.  As @MomentsNotice indicated, for this recent 2023 season Cunard shuttles went to Yamashita Park, near the Motomachi-Chūkagai station, and were also usable for embarking/disembarking.  Trains run from both places to the main Yokohama station where you can change for trains to Tokyo on the JR Yokosuka Line or Keikyu Main Line Rapid.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MomentsNotice said:

hi, on QM2 now and we were told that starting sometime in 2024 QE will be docking IN Tokyo rather than Yokohama. As I recall port is about 15 minute ride to ginza. So keep checking with Cunard. Perhaps u will be lucky and your cruise will dock in Tokyo rather than Yokohama. . 

taxis in Tokyo are expensive but much easier with luggage taxiing from dock directly to hotel. As I recall several years ago we paid around $75 taxi Yokohama main dock ( farther than daikoku where QE docks) to Sheraton in Minato-ku. Your hotel could probably give u an estimate if u contact concierge. 

otherwise u will need to walk or taxi to subway station, change in Yokohama station into tokyo, perhaps change subways again to your hotels local station, and walk or taxi to your hotel. 

Enjoy japan. It is a fascinating country and if u can squeeze in a few more days pre or post cruise, consider it. 

Hi that would be good . I have hotel booked for Tokyo 1 night at the start but thinking of changing this to Yokohama instead as easier after long flight in . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trinnyessex said:

Hi that would be good . I have hotel booked for Tokyo 1 night at the start but thinking of changing this to Yokohama instead as easier after long flight in . 

if QE leaving from Yokohama I agree Yokohama hotel would be easier and cheaper. 

from Narita easy to get to Yokohama with Narita express or cheaper airport limousine bus which stops at Yokohama bus terminal or several hotels. 

from haneda you can take train or check if airport limousine bus has started running again. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Trinnyessex said:

Thanks everyone 👍 

You're very welcome.  Best wishes for a great voyage!

Something I forgot to mention before is that if you decide to do the trains, a good way to pay the appropriate fares is with a Japan Rail (JR) Suica card.  It's the JR version of a London Transport Oyster card, i.e., a prepaid stored-value card for all trains in the Tokyo area, both commuter trains and the metro.  You obtain Suica cards and load the card with a Japanese Yen balance at either JR ticket machines (that you can interact with in English) or in-person ticket offices at major stations and also at Haneda and Narita airports.  A special version of Suica, called Welcome Suica, is available to foreign tourists. Welcome Suica is valid for only four weeks and waives the usual Suica card issuance fee.  Like the London Oyster, you tap on/off with Suica at the ticket barriers and it automatically debits the correct fare, allowing for transfers.  It takes away quite a bit of the worry about whether you've bought the correct ticket.  Each person needs his/her own card.

The Japan metro version of Suica is called Pasmo.  It serves the same function, just issued by a separate rail operator.  Suica can be used a little more widely than Pasmo, but the difference is minor.

New Suica and Pasmo cards are temporarily in short supply due to a chip shortage, but I imagine that will have been cleared up by the time you are there next year.

Mrs. sfred and I easily took trains when we boarded QE for the voyage across to Alaska in 2019.  We had one large piece of luggage and two smaller carry-on sized bags.  We all did fit into the carriage, but only just.   I've been to Tokyo and Japan many times for work and can speak and read a little Japanese which helps, but there is enough English signage to get by without.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 4