In-room coffee maker

Joelocal

This is our first cruise and we are particular about our coffee.

Most often we stay in self-catering apartments. When doing so I always bring this OXO Travel French Press (sans black holder/handle to conserve space), and bring baggies of our favorite freshly ground coffee (I use this Capresso coffee grinder for the perfect coarse ground needed for presses) from home. I pack each baggy of coffee sized for the full press. 

However, for this cruise we are in a balcony.  Since there is no easy way to acquire "to the boil" water (not boiling, just almost 😁) we will not be bringing the press or baggies of our favorite strong coffee blend.  Hence, we'll have to ask for a pod coffee maker.  And without trying it I will be bringing the Senseo Extra-Strong coffee pods recommended here on another coffee topic by @podgeandrodge.  

No matter how good or bad the coffee is, we plan on having a great time on our 11-day cruise of the Mediterranean!  

Edited by LGinPA
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, LGinPA said:

This is our first cruise and we are particular about our coffee.

<

<

(not boiling, just almost 😁)

Oh! Another nerd! 96 degrees Celcius, right? 😉 My water kettle at home has adjustable temperature, and OF COURSE I have also measured it to know it's correct. 😄 
Just went through a pack of Senseo Extra Strong in my summer house. I found it to be OK, but didn't agree on the "extra strong" bit. Still nice though!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LGinPA said:

No matter how good or bad the coffee is, we plan on having a great time on our 11-day cruise of the Mediterranean!  

Exactly! As much as I love my coffees <taking another sip>, it's not the end of the world to go without or have some bad ones. If all else fails, drop a shot of Kahlua or rum or whatever in the buffet coffee and hey, it still may not be great but at least more fun! 😄 

• Haha 2

LOL on spending money at Starbucks to pay for grossly over-priced coffee flavored milky beverages - apparently, some considered it a status symbol.  But, to each her/his own.  

Another gadget that we are looking into, it's portable and designed for travel - just need to add water, viola ... Wacaco Minipresso GR, Portable Espresso Machine available online (anyone else tried and/or use this, or similar ones) 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Another gadget that we are looking into, it's portable and designed for travel - just need to add water, viola ... Wacaco Minipresso GR, Portable Espresso Machine available online (anyone else tried and/or use this, or similar ones) 

I have been given espressos from a similar one. It was good, but I wasn't tempted to get the machine anyway. It needs (near)boiling water, and personally I can just as well use my single cup pourover filter holder if I've got access to hot water. But I'm equally fonf of (strong) drip coffee and espresso. If espresso is your poison of choice this could very well be for you!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

Oh! Another nerd! 96 degrees Celcius, right? 😉 My water kettle at home has adjustable temperature, and OF COURSE I have also measured it to know it's correct. 😄 
Just went through a pack of Senseo Extra Strong in my summer house. I found it to be OK, but didn't agree on the "extra strong" bit. Still nice though!

Coffee can never be too strong for me.

It's hard to make weak coffee stronger but it's easy to make strong coffee weaker by adding water.

When I've had no choice but to use a drip style coffee machine and the coffee is too weak, I pour the brewed coffee into the water holder and run it through fresh grounds again! 😂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LGinPA said:

Coffee can never be too strong for me.

Agree! What I did with the Senseo (so called) Extra Strong when I really craved a strong cup was I didn't let the machine dispense all the water it wanted too.  Most of the time I settled for the "not at all extra strong, but still OK". 😄 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

LOL on spending money at Starbucks to pay for grossly over-priced coffee flavored milky beverages - apparently, some considered it a status symbol.  But, to each her/his own.  

Interesting gadget. Thanks.  

I am doing "minimalism" when cruising these days.  So, it probably wouldn't make it into my luggage.  But, for overnight road trips staying at hotels?  Definitely.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:37 AM, mking8288 said:

I wonder if you will have trouble getting it on board? May be a prohibited item. Bringing your own pods may be a better option. I like the coffee from the machine in the buffet that grinds the beans. It is usually in the back of the buffet on the Jewel class ships. Bird Travels may have a picture of this.

There is no heating element, so it's not a prohibited item. But you still have to boil water somehow to use it. You could probably use the standard drip coffee maker to do that though. That isn't technically "boiling" water, but it might work.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 3:07 PM, Asawi said:

Yep, it's good, and only reason I get it is because the "strong" isn't strong enough!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, omahabob said:

There is no heating element, so it's not a prohibited item. But you still have to boil water somehow to use it. You could probably use the standard drip coffee maker to do that though. That isn't technically "boiling" water, but it might work.

Thought the same...you'll still have to get a coffeemaker in the cabin to heat the water.  But, that's what I do with those packets I bring with me.

3 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I wonder if you will have trouble getting it on board? 

As noted by others, it is portable & designed for the outdoors and camping, use no electricity.  I might pick one up next month during Amazon Prime Day, use it on road trips but probably stick with other options ...  Hot water brewed using the Hamilton Beach 1 cup maker probably isn't hot enough, short of taking a walk to the buffet & get hot water and that's probably still not near broiling temperature, likely just at/near 185 to 195 deg. F.   The ones that I can now get from the Vietnamese supermarket chain - Lee's Coffee in a pouch is a better match.  Otherwise, onboard cruises ... the ones they brewed in specialty restaurant, coming out of the French Press is usually quite good.  

• Like 1