ADA broken foot - what to expect?

amandaepperson21

I broke my foot a couple of weeks ago. I've tried to find info to no avail. I have a knee scooter and walking boot. I will be using it. But in all honesty, getting anywhere on the scooter is exhausting and walking or standing for long is painful. 

What should I expect in regards to things like waiting at guest services once we board? Or waiting in line at dinner? What about the muster drill? Or the tender to Belize - are there accommodations for that? I can't bring my scooter on our excursion, but I'd much rather not stand waiting for a tender. 

My knee scooter folds down, so storage isn't an issue. I'm mostly concerned with the times passengers typically have to stand in long lines. Can anyone share experiences? I've been off my foot for the most part, but yesterday was sort of a test and I'm in pain for sure. I'm not trying to cheat, I just know that even with the knee scooter, waiting in lines is really hard. 

8 hours ago, amandaepperson21 said:

I broke my foot a couple of weeks ago. I've tried to find info to no avail. I have a knee scooter and walking boot. I will be using it. But in all honesty, getting anywhere on the scooter is exhausting and walking or standing for long is painful. 

What should I expect in regards to things like waiting at guest services once we board? Or waiting in line at dinner? What about the muster drill? Or the tender to Belize - are there accommodations for that? I can't bring my scooter on our excursion, but I'd much rather not stand waiting for a tender. 

My knee scooter folds down, so storage isn't an issue. I'm mostly concerned with the times passengers typically have to stand in long lines. Can anyone share experiences? I've been off my foot for the most part, but yesterday was sort of a test and I'm in pain for sure. I'm not trying to cheat, I just know that even with the knee scooter, waiting in lines is really hard. 

How are you with the walking boot?  Do you have prescribed pain medication?  Reason I asked is I was in a similar situation with a fracture and my boot was fine with pain meds.  I did have a cane to lean on.  This was recently back in December.  Also let MSC and the port prior to boarding know you may need assistance off and on ship.  

Make sure to fill out the special needs form (now online) to let them know about your restrictions and needs.  You can request wheelchair assistance for boarding, as a an example.  This helps them to prepare for you.

13 hours ago, amandaepperson21 said:

OP, are you cruising solo? If not, then waiting online should be done by your traveling companion. I often travelled with my father who had serious chronic back pain. I dealt with guest services or waited in line for dining. He sat until I reached the front of the line. 

As for traveling on / off the ship, a certain amount of mobility is required for tenders but ports can be walked off. However, standing around and waiting is inevitable. I’d invest in a cane / folding chair.

Also, you may just have to modify your expectations. The more time you spend upright the more painful your foot will be. Keeping it elevated as much as possible may mean more deck chair time and less excursion time. The muster is done remotely on a lot of ships now but if not, no one will care if you sit down during it.

Have you thought about renting a battery powered scooter? I see them on cruises all the time. You may not be able to take it everywhere but it may help.

Lastly, a healing broken bone is not considered a disability under the ADA so there is no requirement for you to receive the same assistance or courtesy as might be accorded to someone with a disability as defined by the ADA. 

A broken leg that heals normally within a few months, for example, would not be a disability under the ADA. However, if a broken leg took significantly longer than the normal healing period, and during this period the individual could not walk, he or she would be considered to have a disability.”

1 hour ago, HardToPort said:

OP, are you cruising solo? If not, then waiting online should be done by your traveling companion. I often travelled with my father who had serious chronic back pain. I dealt with guest services or waited in line for dining. He sat until I reached the front of the line. 

As for traveling on / off the ship, a certain amount of mobility is required for tenders but ports can be walked off. However, standing around and waiting is inevitable. I’d invest in a cane / folding chair.

Also, you may just have to modify your expectations. The more time you spend upright the more painful your foot will be. Keeping it elevated as much as possible may mean more deck chair time and less excursion time. The muster is done remotely on a lot of ships now but if not, no one will care if you sit down during it.

Have you thought about renting a battery powered scooter? I see them on cruises all the time. You may not be able to take it everywhere but it may help.

Lastly, a healing broken bone is not considered a disability under the ADA so there is no requirement for you to receive the same assistance or courtesy as might be accorded to someone with a disability as defined by the ADA. 

A broken leg that heals normally within a few months, for example, would not be a disability under the ADA. However, if a broken leg took significantly longer than the normal healing period, and during this period the individual could not walk, he or she would be considered to have a disability.”

Good advice given! I don't think that the OP is looking for ADA relief.  I think they should still fill out the special needs form which is not ADA specific to try and make the experience easier for them

• Like 1

I realize that the OP has sailed but my answer to his problem about standing in lines is that unless there are separate handicapped access line the fact that he has problems standing in lines is his problem.  I am not going to let him cut ahead of me in a line just because it is easier for him.  I have absolutely no problem w reserved handicapped seating in venues but that is different from handicapped line cut ins.

DON

• Like 1