Cabins with bunk beds or a sofa that converts for 3rd and 4th passengers

Luvtoeat

Has anyone been in a cabin that had bunk beds or a sofa that coverts for 3rd and 4th passengers.

If cabin has bunk beds does it take the place of the sofa? I'm trying to picture what the setup looks like but can't imagine how much room it would take up since these cabins are not overly large to start with.. Would greatly appreciate any comments.

Having traveled with small children over the years we have seen both set ups on MSC.  It depends on the ship and cabin.  You have to look closely at the deck plan symbols, and confirm with the booking agent.  We preferred the bunks, they fold down from the ceiling and close up during the day.  The sofa set up was less desireable as it required a pull out trundle bed, quite inferior in mattress and comfort, and difficult to get in and out of the inside berth.  MSC previously offered a true "kids sail free", then changed to under 12 only.

24 minutes ago, freeon said:

I have one of those rooms on our next cruise but were only 2 people. I assume those bunks won't be there and will look like any other regular room? And we'll have a sofa.

That IS the sofa, after its transformation into bunks.  
To the OP, it depends on the class of ship, and cabin type.  On Fantasia class (Divina) there were insides with bunks in the ceiling, and bunks on the walls.  Also OV cabins same.  Sofa bed was foldout for two.  The newer classes have the bunk sofa, as well as regular foldout couches, and BL balcony cabins with bunks in a niche.  So if you can be more specific about ships you are considering we can be of more help.  EM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freeon said:

I have one of those rooms on our next cruise but were only 2 people. I assume those bunks won't be there and will look like any other regular room? And we'll have a sofa.

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

That IS the sofa, after its transformation into bunks.  

Yes. 

25042569-176963399556888-694430004412835

If it isn't transformed, it looks like a normal sofa.

You might never know who/what is under there. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the video of the sofa that opens to bunk beds. We will only be 2 in the cabin and the sofa that opens makes it look just like a regular room. . Would have liked to have seen how the bunk beds are pulled down from the ceiling and and what they look like before being pulled down. I just can't picture them hanging down from the ceiling. 

The MSC rep I spoke to had no idea which setup would be in the cabin.

We will be on the Seaside on deck 10 if that helps to figure out which setup will be there.

17 minutes ago, Luvtoeat said:

Would have liked to have seen how the bunk beds are pulled down from the ceiling and and what they look like before being pulled down. I just can't picture them hanging down from the ceiling. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=414336&stc=1

A pull man from the ceiling will look like this. When the bed is up, you probably wouldn't notice anything unusual on the ceiling other than the rectangular outline.

I did not realize that they actually disappear into the ceiling. I was picturing them as hanging down from the ceiling but that did not make any sense. Now I know that if we take a cabin with either setup it will still look like a regular cabin for 2 people.

Thanks to all who provided the pictures.

10 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Yes. 

25042569-176963399556888-694430004412835

If it isn't transformed, it looks like a normal sofa.

You might never know who/what is under there. 😁

Wow, that video should be pinned at the top of the page…. Picture worth a thousand words…. EM

Just to add to the glossary of bed types available, here is an OV cabin on Divina with two uppers.  Only one was in use, you can see the outline of the other in the ceiling:

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

And here is an inside cabin with the unfortunate wall mounted bunks.  I don't know why they keep using these when they could just as easily put them in the ceiling, but they do.  Even brand new ships.

And to add to the mix, this is 8139 on Divina with the sleeper sofa open.  Guests sleep lengthwise on it rather than heads against the headboard.

Here is another quad OV with both uppers stowed

• Like 1

And to go further, if you wish to cruise in a quad balcony cabin on Armonia or her sisters, where the balconies were tacked onto OV cabins when they were lengthened, this is what you get.  Good luch accessing the balcony when the bunks are deployed.

If there are only three, the bunk is at the foot of the bed:

On the Meraviglia there are a few cabins facing aft that actually have a set of permanent bunk beds that are off-set, along with a sofa and the twin/queen beds.  Our cabin was 10261, but the cabin next to us was the same.  Very spacey cabin as well.  The storage space could have been a bit more, but we used the bunk beds to lay some of our things out.  Large balcony as well. There is a youtube video of the cabin next door, I believe cabin 10267, which is exactly the same layout.

• 1 year later...