Gift Certificate from Oceania for booking immediately after cruise denied

azam71209

Hi all-

On my last Oceania cruise last July, we were told that we would get a $200 gift certificate for booking onboard or with 45 days. My travel agent got the same information. Oceania denied the $200 gift certificate allegedly because I already got $250 OBC as a Silver Level member. The travel agent can't get them to budge on this. Anyone else have a similar experience trying to use the post cruise gift certificate?

Mary

3 hours ago, azam71209 said:

Hi all-

On my last Oceania cruise last July, we were told that we would get a $200 gift certificate for booking onboard or with 45 days. My travel agent got the same information. Oceania denied the $200 gift certificate allegedly because I already got $250 OBC as a Silver Level member. The travel agent can't get them to budge on this. Anyone else have a similar experience trying to use the post cruise gift certificate?

Mary

I recently booked a cruise fare that could not be combined with onboard-booking perks like discounts/OBC (among other things) but could be combined with OClub perks (like silver-level OBC). Could this be your case?

I've started asking my TA to send the combinable/not-combinable rules when she sends a quote so I can "do the math" 😉

Edited by AMHuntFerry

Yes it is possible those two savings are not combinable.  I just booked a sailing onboard Sirena to get the "all three free" deal.  It was not combinable with onboard savings so I didn't get onboard savings with my booking.  The "all three free" deal was still much more than onboard savings so I did come out ahead.

A few observations and comments:

Firstly, Oceania’s promotion rules are fairly straightforward - at least, those that are stated on the O website: Company Info> Legal> Promotions. With few exceptions, it all boils down to “no double dipping.”

However, complicating the interpretation/application of items/rules that appear to not be “black and white” are five realities:

1) First and foremost, some passengers just don’t read and/nor comprehend the specifics of the promotion they seek. This includes the “non-combinable” statements.

2) Some TAs and Oceania phone reps are misinformed, confused and/or just don’t understand the finer points and relationships in the mix of promotional options that create savings for passengers.
3) Exacerbating the problem are glitches in O’s booking amenities software (e.g., mixing OCAPP and O Club perks in “custom cruise” bookings) that require manual overrides by O management to correct.

4) There’s good and bad news as regards O’s long-standing practice of considering exceptions to some booking policies/practices on a case-by-case basis (best examples are the Platinum Cruise specifics and Book By/Cruise By deadlines associated with Future Cruise Credits). “No” to you (or your TA) today can be “Yes” to me (or my TA) tomorrow.

5) Adjudication of differing rules interpretations are dependent on which supervisor or middle manager in Miami handles any particular promotions problem. 

As regards the OP’s OBC perk issue: 

I’m not exactly sure what OP means by a “$200 gift certificate.” Does she mean the “book onboard bonus SBC”? (The book onboard bonus SBC should not be confused with the “book onboard fare discount savings”). For example, with an O Life Ultimate onboard booking, you cannot also get the book onboard fare discount (that would be double dipping). But you can get the book onboard bonus SBC (assigned to the current cruise or a future cruise). 

As for an outright “gift certificate” for actual “cash” (not SBC - refundable or non-refundable), that would be a new one on me (unless it’s a TA’s providing a cash rebate).

But, let’s take that at concept of an O “gift certificate” at face value. OP’s statement that it was denied because of Silver O Club $250 SBC needs clarification: Is it a regular $250 O Club perk on the booked cruise invoice or is it the $250 O Club “in lieu” perk when a TA is providing some other duplicate perk like OCAPP funds to cover gratuities (years ago, you could get the whole value of duplicate gratuities perks when both O Club and the TA we’re paying them. Now, it’s limited to $250).

If the $250 SBC cited is regular O Club $, that has no relation to booking fare discounts or bonus SBC. But, if it’s “in lieu” SBC, I can see how that could be considered a “double dip” and thus refused.

All that said, we’re now full circle to the other possibility: Remember my comment about the software glitch? If whoever at O at some point said “No” did so because the software auto-prevented the honoring of the “gift certificate,” s/he may have accepted that glitch block as “gospel” and just relayed the bad news. This is a real possibility. And, manually fixing that kind of glitch usually means getting O’s Special Services involved. In other words, there sometimes can be “extra work” involved in “making things right” and it will take the right TA (one with significant O clout) or a long-serving O Club Ambassador or an accommodating O reservations supervisor (or even a regional O sales rep to pursue and champion the issue.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As for an outright “gift certificate” for actual “cash” (not SBC - refundable or non-refundable), that would be a new one on me (unless it’s a TA’s providing a cash rebate).

After our first cruise (Dec. 2021), we received a gift certificate...maybe because we were first timers or because we did not book onboard (I know, I know...). There was a letter with it, but I'd need to search. For now, here's what the certificate looked like (minus personal info):

image.png.692f26c6e22085931672b777449ec284.pngimage.png.4d31a16278104db7d34cf44a83fca25b.png

14 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

After our first cruise (Dec. 2021), we received a gift certificate...maybe because we were first timers or because we did not book onboard (I know, I know...). There was a letter with it, but I'd need to search. For now, here's what the certificate looked like (minus personal info):

image.png.692f26c6e22085931672b777449ec284.pngimage.png.4d31a16278104db7d34cf44a83fca25b.png

Aha! 
Senior moment here. 
I have seen those- in fact I’m pretty sure I have one or two somewhere. And they are “non-combinable.”
However, I would see it as very clear that the “non-combinable” is limited to “special” savings (e.g., book onboard discount, ultimate o life, etc) and not regular O Club SBC perks.

That said, I stand by my earlier post, which might mean that it’s fallen into the hands of someone who’s not willing to do the extra work to make it right.

Of course, the certificate also has the expected CYA statement of “other restrictions may apply.” 

Nonetheless, I’d press the issue if that’s the case.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

IF I'm reading it correctly:

"Is not combinable with bookings made on board with special onboard savings. May not be combinable with special offers."

And applies to Cabin E level and up on the R-class ships and Cabin C level and above on the O-class ships.

I do have the gift certificate the OP showed. I took my TAs word for it that it would not apply, because she checked with Oceania and that's what she was told. 

It does seem as if this type of "gift certificate" is designed to get people to book early and it did motivate me to do so when I would have waited a bit. But my guess is that it is basically worthless unless Oceania has NO offers of any sort available at the time, which never seems to happen. It would likely not be available to anyone at Bronze level or above, since that qualifies as a perk.

I will send it in to Oceania and let you all know what happens.

Mary

1 hour ago, azam71209 said:

It would likely not be available to anyone at Bronze level or above, since that qualifies as a perk.

Mary

O Club level perks are a separate thing from O Life (regular or ultimate). You get them whether or not you book onboard and they do not discount your fares since, for example, the O Club SBC is non-refundable (use it or lose it for onboard purchases). 

The “non-combinable” item refers primarily to items in the fare itself - book onboard discounts, more than one O Life selection, etc.

I still need more clarity on OP’s issue. But, with what we’ve got in this thread, I’m leaning towards the denial has zip to do with any O Club perk being a factor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azam71209 said:

I do have the gift certificate the OP showed. I took my TAs word for it that it would not apply, because she checked with Oceania and that's what she was told. 

It does seem as if this type of "gift certificate" is designed to get people to book early and it did motivate me to do so when I would have waited a bit. But my guess is that it is basically worthless unless Oceania has NO offers of any sort available at the time, which never seems to happen. It would likely not be available to anyone at Bronze level or above, since that qualifies as a perk.

I will send it in to Oceania and let you all know what happens.

Mary

I used my gift cert. for an inexpensive CA coastal cruise that was current list price (same as when it was first released) since we wanted to test out the R-ships. If there are no discounts for your cruise (e.g., Ultimate Olife, soft-sale discount, OClub 10% off; so you're paying the price showing on the O-website), the gift certificate should apply.

The one piece of information that may be the sticker...you said "$250 OBC as a Silver Level member". Where did this OBC come from? Is it your regular silver OBC, or is it in lieu of prepaid gratuities, or ...?

5 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

The one piece of information that may be the sticker...you said "$250 OBC as a Silver Level member". Where did this OBC come from? Is it your regular silver OBC, or is it in lieu of prepaid gratuities, or ...?

This can relate to my aforementioned O software glitch that blocks some items when “‘in lieu’ $250” appears on the O invoice.

For example if you get O Club gratuities coverage and book a multisegment cruise where your TA covers gratuities for one segment (using O provided OCAPP $), O Club will issue the “‘in lieu’ $250” for that segment. BUT, the O software glitch will then remove the O Club gratuities coverage for that segment AND for the other segment!!!. 
Not to worry: you still are covered by O Club for the non-OCAPP segment’s gratuities. But, apparently, whether it gets corrected ASAP or just prior to embarkation appears to depend on who is handling it in Miami. What I do know is that it takes a manual override by O in Miami to fix it.

That said, at the very least, I suggest getting verification in writing (from someone with an Oceania email address and title that you are covered for all gratuities regardless of the $250 in lieu of your TA’s OCAPP gratuities coverage. And, if this is the true situation and your TA can’t get that note from O (rather than some verbal “all is OK”), I’d be looking for a new TA.  

• Like 2

I only know what my TA told me was told to her by Oceania. i could not use the $200 gift certificate because I already had $250 OBC regular Silver Club level benefit. I chose the 3 excursions as my OLife benefit. I did get a perk of a cabin upgrade from a window cabin to a B1, as part of the Labor Day special. That was not mentioned by the Oceania rep as an issue but it could be the real sticking point.

Mary

17 minutes ago, azam71209 said:

I did get a perk of a cabin upgrade from a window cabin to a B1, as part of the Labor Day special

I think you've hit on the real reason here. We've always got our O Club level perks regardless of what special we booked with. 

59 minutes ago, azam71209 said:

I only know what my TA told me was told to her by Oceania. i could not use the $200 gift certificate because I already had $250 OBC regular Silver Club level benefit. I chose the 3 excursions as my OLife benefit. I did get a perk of a cabin upgrade from a window cabin to a B1, as part of the Labor Day special. That was not mentioned by the Oceania rep as an issue but it could be the real sticking point.

Mary

That is definitely it. You can have the cabin upgrade OR the gift certificate. You chose the better one.

Mary

As I said, incomplete info. A cabin upgrade is a fare discount and they would be a “double dip.” You may want to talk with your TA about “getting things straight” (even if it means s/he talking with their O contact about relaying the correct info. All this has nothing to do with O Club benefits.

Are all cruise lines’ promotions this confusing? Is ANYTHING straightforward on other lines?

We‘ve been on 3 cruises, 3 different lines so no “loyalty” benefits, and I feel like I have to learn everything new every time!

4 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

Are all cruise lines’ promotions this confusing? Is ANYTHING straightforward on other lines?

We‘ve been on 3 cruises, 3 different lines so no “loyalty” benefits, and I feel like I have to learn everything new every time!

I think Oceania goes out of their way to confuse people  🙄

JMO

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

O’s FF policies/practices can appear convoluted/confusing. But, they’re really not. The problem is that passengers and employees alike don’t read the rules, ask questions, blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is it’s not rocket science.

If the employees don't read the rules and/or don't understand them, asking questions is pretty much a waste of time.

I do appreciate fellow cruisers explaining what seems to be a correct answer. Never try to use an end of cruise "gift certificate" if there is any promotion going on because promotions are likely to be better than the gift certificate and you can't get both. It seems like it also follows, don't try to do an on-board booking for a future cruise and get the $200 credit there until you check that there isn't a better promotion available.

Mary

If the employees don't read the rules and/or don't understand them, asking questions is pretty much a waste of time.

I do appreciate fellow cruisers explaining what seems to be a correct answer. Never try to use an end of cruise "gift certificate" if there is any promotion going on because promotions are likely to be better than the gift certificate and you can't get both. It seems like it also follows, don't try to do an on-board booking for a future cruise and get the $200 credit there until you check that there isn't a better promotion available.

Mary

It’s not “all” of the reservations employees who are problematic. Like any reasonably sized customer service department, there’s exemplary staff and not-so-exemplary staff. That’s why I always recommend taking the time to find a good O phone rep and then adding him/her to your support system (yes, even if you have a great TA). Remember, you can always book direct with O on the phone or onboard and then transfer to your TA within the 30 day transfer window.