New to Carnival

PatandStu

We have previously sailed Disney, RCI and NCL. Our last NCL was a disappointment in a few ways that I suspect are cruise-wide issues.

We are looking at an 8 day out of Miami on the Horizon in September going to La Romana, Aruba & Curacao.  I’ve heard the balconies on Carnival overlook walkways & are noisy and not very private.  Is this true? We may be looking at an inside so the budget will allow a 2nd cruise in the spring. 
I’d love to hear comments from folks who have sailed both NCL and Carnival, as well as thoughts on the Horizon. 
We are a young-at-heart recently retired couple. 
Thanks, Pat 

Welcome!  I’ve cruised both NCL and Carnival (plus many other cruise lines) and I really do love Carnival.  Like you, we are retired (well, my husband is!) but young at heart.  I have not, however, been on the Horizon.

Some balconies on Carnival do overlook walkways (my recent balcony on the Mardi Grad did) but the vast majority on most ships do not; especially on a high-up floor, you will pretty much be looking at mostly ocean.  For the most part, the regular balcony rooms have the same amount of privacy as an NCL balcony does.

I can’t speak to the interior rooms as I have not sailed in one. Overall, I have actually enjoyed the food on Carnival more than on my NCL cruises (unless in the Haven), and I really love the wide range of activities//live music on Carnival ships—they truly are “the fun ships” with the deck parties, etc.

What other questions do you have?

• Like 1

I have sailed mostly Carnival but have also sailed with RCI and NCL. Mostly sail Carnival for the value for the money.  If price and itinerary was right for RCI and NCL would not hesitate to sail with them again.  I have never had a bad cruise with either line.  I sailed the same itinerary on the Horizon you are looking into.  I would suggest pricing the cove balcony (that is what we sailed in).  It is less expensive then a regular balcony, close to the water and very private.  You just need to do a little research to make sure you are not under a high traffic area (like the kitchen) and are between lifeboats.

We just did number 13 with Carnival last February, plus we have sailed NCL, RCI and PCL.  Our first on Norwegian was by far the best entertainment that we have seen.  The last one was pretty sedate and not impressive. If you enjoy RC then CC will probably be similar as it was 4 years ago.  I say probably because we have not sailed RC since before Covid.  I can elaborate on it after we sail next month. Voyager here we come.

Edited by clackey

I would suggest using a PVP to help find the perfect balcony for you taste. All balconies are not created equally. A PVP can help by telling you what is above and below and what your view would be.

• Like 2

If you are looking at an interior room, this class of ship has a Havana area that is restricted to only those guests booked in that area.  The interiors in this area are a little more expensive than a standard interior, but less expensive than a balcony.  They come with a few upgraded amenities  With private access to the Havana area, you should not be fighting the masses for a good outdoor lounging area.  We were a little concerned about the noise from the Havana Bar, but never heard it in our interior room.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PatandStu said:

We may be looking at an inside so the budget will allow a 2nd cruise in the spring. 

If you love balconies, but are considering an inside cabin, Carnival Horizon has a category (4J) which is considered an inside cabin, but it technically has a picture window overlooking a forward facing deck. The best part about it is that the door leading up to that deck is 2-3 doors from your cabin, so you can be out there in 20 seconds. It's somewhat of a "poor man's balcony". 

Check it out:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tapi said:

If you love balconies, but are considering an inside cabin, Carnival Horizon has a category (4J) which is considered an inside cabin, but it technically has a picture window overlooking a forward facing deck. The best part about it is that the door leading up to that deck is 2-3 doors from your cabin, so you can be out there in 20 seconds. It's somewhat of a "poor man's balcony". 

Check it out:

Is this the room that you have to keep the curtain closed at night?

We have previously sailed Disney, RCI and NCL. Our last NCL was a disappointment in a few ways that I suspect are cruise-wide issues.

We are looking at an 8 day out of Miami on the Horizon in September going to La Romana, Aruba & Curacao.  I’ve heard the balconies on Carnival overlook walkways & are noisy and not very private.  Is this true? We may be looking at an inside so the budget will allow a 2nd cruise in the spring. 
I’d love to hear comments from folks who have sailed both NCL and Carnival, as well as thoughts on the Horizon. 
We are a young-at-heart recently retired couple. 
Thanks, Pat 

I would suggest JiJis I think is currently $18 pp and only on a few ships. Fabulous asian food and service. One of the best pay restaurants. I did 6 nights of pay restaurants and it was my favorite. Very reasonable. 

Go early to comedy club as this venue is very small on this ship. I have a love hate relationship with this class. I like dream class myself. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canes20 said:

Yes and I got moved to one I didnt pick. ..a hc cabin where the twins didnt push together. My pvp said they have the right to move you. The week i was on the doors to walk out in the front of these cabins was locked due to high winds. I'm a fan of the port hole cabins to book cheap if I'm cutting corners, not these. 

24 minutes ago, canes20 said:

Yes. If your lights are on in the cabin, then yes, you need to close to curtains. 

18 hours ago, Tapi said:

Check it out:

That won’t wok for us. DH cannot function with the drapes closed. 

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I would suggest JiJis I think is currently $18 pp and only on a few ships. Fabulous asian food and service. One of the best pay restaurants. I did 6 nights of pay restaurants and it was my favorite. Very reasonable. 

Go early to comedy club as this venue is very small on this ship. I have a love hate relationship with this class. I like dream class myself. 

What did you “hate”? Everyone has different things that are important. We do like good food so I’m thinking we may have to spring for some specialty dining. 

What did you “hate”? Everyone has different things that are important. We do like good food so I’m thinking we may have to spring for some specialty dining. 

What I had to adjust to when vista came out, first in its class many others also disliked. Now it's more muted. I was used to on all carnival ships walking thru promenade deck and seeing out to the ocean. Vista class closed it up, no more seeing the ocean as you walk along. 

The comedy club and theater were about cut in half. Now you have to stand in line for the comedy shows and the chairs fill up. I've stood in the back. Theater has poles blocking the view and holds far fewer to watch shows. 

Dream class has the best spas of course with T pools. .. though yes vista class, Horizon has a new pay area people like that is kinda pricey. I'm not the only one who wasnt in love with vista class ships when they came out. Now I'm mostly over it but cant say I love the changes. Like other lines they turned more inward and less ocean views. Last time my bbq was quite dried out .. not up to usual par. Other food issues besides the inedible steak I was served. I love BLT but every time imo the bread was hard as a rock. Stale. The rest of the sandwich was good. Stuff along these lines is why I switched to mostly rcl. 

I'm still at 197 loyalty pts on carnival so jan cruise will bump me to diamond on carnival. Not a newbie.