Question re: Shore Excursions

skb8721

I have a question about Viking shore excursion: namely, if the Viking website says a certain excursion is "included," does that mean everyone who wants to go on that excursion does indeed get to go?

I ask because late last year an acquaintance of mine took a Viking cruise of the eastern Mediterranean -- the same cruise I plan to take -- and afterwards told me he was unable to visit a certain archaeological site (Ephesus) because "all the spots on the excursion had been taken".

This confuses me: I know that while some excursions are optional, cost extra, and can fill up, there is indeed a tour of that very archaeological site marked "Included" on the Viking website.  Why then was he unable to visit the site?  Or, my real concern is, could this happen to me? (Unfortunately, I don't know my acquaintance well enough to ask him for further details, such as "Are you sure the crew said the excursion was full?" or "Did you not know about the 'included' tour to the same site?")

If someone could explain what "included" means, I would certainly appreciate it!

(I should say I'm taking the cruise not for the cruise in itself, but rather for the shore excursions.)

I have never heard of an Included excursion that has been locked out (two ocean; five river cruises). They may at times be listed as "Sold Out" online due to some tech hitch, but once you're on board the excursion is available. The downside is that reality dictates that a large number of participants interrupts the pleasure of the excursion. One excursion we did in France had an overwhelming number of 40-person groups, all doing the same walking tour along the same narrow streets. It was madness. But it was Included.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, skb8721 said:

I have a question about Viking shore excursion: namely, if the Viking website says a certain excursion is "included," does that mean everyone who wants to go on that excursion does indeed get to go?

I ask because late last year an acquaintance of mine took a Viking cruise of the eastern Mediterranean -- the same cruise I plan to take -- and afterwards told me he was unable to visit a certain archaeological site (Ephesus) because "all the spots on the excursion had been taken".

This confuses me: I know that while some excursions are optional, cost extra, and can fill up, there is indeed a tour of that very archaeological site marked "Included" on the Viking website.  Why then was he unable to visit the site?  Or, my real concern is, could this happen to me? (Unfortunately, I don't know my acquaintance well enough to ask him for further details, such as "Are you sure the crew said the excursion was full?" or "Did you not know about the 'included' tour to the same site?")

If someone could explain what "included" means, I would certainly appreciate it!

(I should say I'm taking the cruise not for the cruise in itself, but rather for the shore excursions.)

The port for Ephesus is Kusadasi. Viking normally offer a number of shore-ex to from Kusadasi to Ephesus, both the included tour and a number of optional tours.

Viking guarantees that every pax is entitled to a seat on the "Included" shore-ex in every port. They may show sold out on the website, but the shore-ex staff on board the vessel will add additional times to ensure everyone gets a seat on the tour.

• Like 1

As Heidi 13 just posted: everyone will be able to do an include excursion but maybe not at their first choice time. 

I will be on a" sold out" cruise in June. Last week those of us in DV staterooms booked our excursions.  Many of the included ones had times of :8:30, 9:30, 11:45 even 1pm. Two of the included exclusion  we wanted  had the 9;30 slot were sold out.  so we picked 8:30 am. 

There was one optional tour that was sold out. It was a tour by private yacht  of various Swedish islands !

I just spoke to my second Viking cruise rep by phone, and like the first they could not guarantee my wife and I would actually be able to reserve a spot on any given tour excursion. 

The rep explained that "included' means "complimentary" (as opposed to other shore excursions that cost extra), but with either the "included" or "cost-extra" tours, there is no guarantee that passengers will get a spot, even more so because availability is tied to the level of your cabin: passengers with cheaper cabins have less chance of securing a spot on a given tour. So I have been told twice now by Viking. 

I would not have even worried about this issue had not that worst-case-scenario happened to my acquaintance. 

I just went back and looked at his email to me of a couple weeks ago, and in it he said he tried for six months prior to the cruise to secure a spot on that particular shore excursion (Ephesus), and no vacancies opened up.

47 minutes ago, skb8721 said:

What cruise  and excursion are your particular concerns? Maybe  some  who post here can share their experiences about this excursion .

Last August on Homelands, we had not booked some included excursions. We weren’t sure if we wanted them in addition to some optional ones already booked. Onboard, we decided to add a few of the included excursions. It was easily done at the customer service desk, in fact we had our pick of multiple times. I was told that folks cancel excursions after boarding so there is often new availability.  I also had success booking a sold out excursion we wanted via the chat function on MVJ before the cruise. Good luck with your bookings! 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Azulann said:

What cruise  and excursion are your particular concerns? Maybe  some  who post here can share their experiences about this excursion .

It's this one: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/western-mediterranean/ancient-mediterranean-treasures/index.html

The Ancient Mediterranean Treasures cruise.

Really, I would gladly pay the entire cruise amount now if only Viking could somehow guarantee that what happened to my acquaintance (a profession archaeologist at a major U.S. university, so you can imagine their disappointment) would not happen to me . . . but twice now Viking reps have said, "There's no way we can do that. You just have to take your chances." Nor was I told in any way, "Oh, don't worry about it -- there's always plenty of room on the shore excursions." 

Edited by skb8721

Unless Viking has made a major change in policy and no one has yet experienced it, I suspect the agent you were talking to either misunderstood your question OR was incorrect. My experience reflects what others have reported-even if you are unable to book an included excursion before boarding, you will be accommodated once onboard.  It may not be at the time or day (for ports where you overnight) you prefer but you will be able to take the included tour.  

• Like 5

I happen to LOVE to sail the Greek islands, and the ports of call are always more important to me than the cruise itself. 

This Summer I am also going to Ephesus. I looked at the Viking itineraries, but chose Princess instead, and had all of my excursions booked and confirmed long before the final cruise payment was even due.  I definitely dislike the Viking Ocean practice of more expensive cabin=first dibs on excursions, but I can understand why they do that for limited numbers on tours. 

I will also say although I appreciate the "free" included tours, I would not hesitate to book something independently if I felt the Viking choices were not meeting my interests.  I would absolutely NOT miss Ephesus (I also have graduate archaeology classes under my belt), even if I had to pay out of my own pocket on-site (taxi driver.)

I am just off a Viking river cruise, and one of the limited number optional tours we really liked was sold out. I checked daily on MVJ, and was finally able to secure two seats (with help from Live Chat), so yes, people do cancel in advance.  Also while on board, there were plenty of people who had booked tours who decided not to go the same day because they were too tired or not feeling well, etc. Included tours are a great option, but never the only option!

• Like 2

I am so unhappy with the unavailability of excursions on an Italian Sojourn cruise in 67 days, I'm very likely going to cancel and incur a significant penalty and travel from Rome to Venice on my own.  I very much regret booking on Viking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skb8721 said:

It's this one: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/western-mediterranean/ancient-mediterranean-treasures/index.html

The Ancient Mediterranean Treasures cruise.

Really, I would gladly pay the entire cruise amount now if only Viking could somehow guarantee that what happened to my acquaintance (a profession archaeologist at a major U.S. university, so you can imagine their disappointment) would not happen to me . . . but twice now Viking reps have said, "There's no way we can do that. You just have to take your chances." Nor was I told in any way, "Oh, don't worry about it -- there's always plenty of room on the shore excursions." 

I want to welcome you to Cruise Critic  and the Viking forum . Your posted  Viking cruise is a wonderful itinerary. I have been to all those ports except Troy.  I can believe that your friend was so disappointed in not getting the Viking excursion he wanted.I would have been too. My second time at Ephesus , I wanted to go to the archaeology museum but it was closed for renovation. I was so disappointed.

I suggest you book the optional Viking  tour to Ephesus  which includes the  Terrance Houses rather than the included one.

. Better yet, hire a private tour guide. I did this the first time we went  to the port near Ephesus. The guide met us  as soon as we got off the ship. We got to Ephesus  before any of the tour buses. We started at the top of site  and walked down  with wonderful explanation of the   various parts of this wondrous site. We then went into the Terrace Houses. At that time it was a working archeology site and saw the fabulous mosaics of these wealthly houses of the Romans. . We then ended at the great library of Ephesus. .By this time ,the whole site was full of  tourists. As we walked further  we  saw the amphitheater that Paul preached  in when he visited in ancient times. 

CC port of call is a wonderful resource for specific ports of call.

Here is a thread by an expert  about all thing Roman and Greek. She is a  a wealth of knowledge. Post your idea there about what you want to see when you are in port.

Good luck.  you  are doing all the good research before you go. You will love this Viking cuise and all the ports you will visit. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

I have an additional question regarding Viking excursions. I know that there is a schedule of when you can book an excursion based on the type of cabin you have.  My question is how far in advance of the cruise does Viking actually post the excursions that will be available so you can start your planning?  

54 minutes ago, Traveler1977 said:

I have an additional question regarding Viking excursions. I know that there is a schedule of when you can book an excursion based on the type of cabin you have.  My question is how far in advance of the cruise does Viking actually post the excursions that will be available so you can start your planning?  

Our cruise embarks on July 19 and our excursions showed up yesterday April 10. So something around 90 days prior.  

To add my two cents (conversion value is probably about a half cent😢) is that the private tour will likely be less expensive and can be tailored to your particular interests or needs.  This is what we did when we visited Ephesus (before Viking Oceans existed) and both of us spent on our private guide what NCL wanted for just one AND we did it with a group of four others rather than 40 or 50.  

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 3

I have now decided against taking the Viking Ancient Mediterranean Treasures cruise.  If I am going to pay $13,000, I want to know I have a spot on any given shore excursion, and that I won't end up like my acquaintance, who took this same cruise last year and did not get to see Ephesus because there was no room on the shore excursions, even though he had been waiting for a spot to open up on the excursion for six months prior to sailing.  Nor do I wish to hire an independent tour guide, and then have to worry about returning to the ship in time, etc. As a passenger I shouldn't have to deal with such issues. My suggestion to Viking would be to do away with its class-based system of reserving spots on shore excursions, and to adopt a more even-handed "first come, first served" approach . . . or simply rent enough buses and guides for everyone. (I say all this having spoken by phone with two Viking reps, and two or three travel agents, none of whom could promise me a spot on any given shore excursions. What, then, is the point?)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, skb8721 said:

The pandemic crippled the tourism industry and in particular the third-party providers of guides and buses that the cruise ships depend on for the shorex that they offer. It has been slow to come back back up to speed but it is getting better week by week, port by port. We might be ready to return to travel but the truth is that the travel industry is not yet back up to speed. The demand is there but the supply is not.

BTW, booking an independent tour does not mean that you have to hire a private guide. There are companies in most ports that offer bus tours similar to what Viking offers and usually for less. Getting back to the ship in time, in general, is not an issue. Companies that depend on the business from the ships in their port will get you back to the ship in time because this is their livelihood and they want to remain in business.

32 minutes ago, skb8721 said:

or simply rent enough buses and guides for everyone.

Pre-pandemic that is exactly what Viking did.

The problem is that post-pandemic, there are not enough drivers and guides to meet the demand. This is getting better and better as more and more guides and drivers return to the industry (they left for full-time jobs when the tourism industry collapsed in 2020) and as new drivers and guides are trained. It may be a few years before the industry is back to the pre-2020 supply levels.

• Like 1

I just don’t understand all of the concern with excursions. Granted, my experience with Viking Ocean is limited to three oceans cruises (Iceland, Trade Routes, Panama Canal) in the past 12 months. We always book a lower category room and the only excursions we weren’t able to book were a few optional excursions. As has been previously stated, if an included excursion was full, we were able to book a time slot once on board. On the Trades Route cruise the Alhambra was full so we booked it through a private tour operator. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stlrod said:

I am so unhappy with the unavailability of excursions on an Italian Sojourn cruise in 67 days, I'm very likely going to cancel and incur a significant penalty and travel from Rome to Venice on my own.  I very much regret booking on Viking.

I'm having difficulty understanding why you would cancel and suffer a significant financial penalty over the availability of cruise line shore-ex.

Superior, more cost effective small group tours from private tour operators/guides are readily available in most ports. Even if you don't wish to spend time on research, you can use 3rd party resellers such as Viator, Tours by Locals,  Shore Excursion Group, etc.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I'm having difficulty understanding why you would cancel and suffer a significant financial penalty over the availability of cruise line shore-ex.

And the hassle of dealing with the insurance company to recover some of it. And having to accept vouchers instead of cash if the insurance is through Viking.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, skb8721 said:

I have now decided against taking the Viking Ancient Mediterranean Treasures cruise.  If I am going to pay $13,000, I want to know I have a spot on any given shore excursion, and that I won't end up like my acquaintance, who took this same cruise last year and did not get to see Ephesus because there was no room on the shore excursions, even though he had been waiting for a spot to open up on the excursion for six months prior to sailing.  Nor do I wish to hire an independent tour guide, and then have to worry about returning to the ship in time, etc. As a passenger I shouldn't have to deal with such issues. My suggestion to Viking would be to do away with its class-based system of reserving spots on shore excursions, and to adopt a more even-handed "first come, first served" approach . . . or simply rent enough buses and guides for everyone. (I say all this having spoken by phone with two Viking reps, and two or three travel agents, none of whom could promise me a spot on any given shore excursions. What, then, is the point?)

When booking cruise line shore-ex, you do not have a guarantee that the ship will wait for you. Yes, the Master will provide more consideration in delaying the sailing for late returning shore-ex, but if operational conditions dictate the ship must sail, the pax on a delayed shore-ex will miss the ship.

At best the cruise line will assist in getting you to the next port.

However, most reputable tour operators that we use, provide a similar service and endeavour to get you back to the ship before departure, as their business depends on it.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Superior, more cost effective small group tours from private tour operators/guides are readily available in most ports. Even if you don't wish to spend time on research, you can use 3rd party resellers such as Viator, Tours by Locals,  Shore Excursion Group, etc.

I often book a 3rd party and found that more sites were included, fewer  people, etc..  and always back on time..so i'm not sure of your hesitation..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

And the hassle of dealing with the insurance company to recover some of it. And having to accept vouchers instead of cash if the insurance is through Viking.

I didn't get that far in the process: I only put down $50 to reserve a cabin.