Alternative Lido evening dining Queen Victoria.

Photo Andy

Hello,

we have not been onboard since late 2019 due to Covid shut down etc. Queen Victoria in the Lido had different dining on an evening - American / Mexican, Italian, Indian and Asian (if I remember correctly). Are they still in operation, (looked on Cunard website and no info) any menus and prices, easy to book? or should we just stick to main dining room?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sailing in June to North Cape.

BW

Derek.  

Here is the list of themes I have for at the Lido Alternative Dining venue on QV.

"Frontier (Alaska only), Nordlys (Norway only), Riviera (Med only), Bamboo, Coriander"

Cunard no longer offers the American theme "Smokehouse" or the Mexican theme "Aztec".

I'm a bit surprised to see the Italian theme "La Piazza" is not on this list. That's one of the standard themes on QM2. Maybe that's just an oversight on that list of themes I have for QV.

And obviously the Frontier theme wouldn't apply to QV since only QE does Alaska itineraries.

Since you mentioned you are sailing in June to the North Cape, I would expect the "Nordlys" theme would apply to your cruise.

Check the "Dining" link for your booking in My Cunard. You should see a section for Alternative Dining with the full list of themes offered on all the ships, not just the themes being offered on your cruise. That section includes links to the menus for each of the themes after you select "See details" for each of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here is the list of themes I have for at the Lido Alternative Dining venue on QV.

"Frontier (Alaska only), Nordlys (Norway only), Riviera (Med only), Bamboo, Coriander"

Cunard no longer offers the American theme "Smokehouse" or the Mexican theme "Aztec".

I'm a bit surprised to see the Italian theme "La Piazza" is not on this list. That's one of the standard themes on QM2. Maybe that's just an oversight on that list of themes I have for QV.

And obviously the Frontier theme wouldn't apply to QV since only QE does Alaska itineraries.

Since you mentioned you are sailing in June to the North Cape, I would expect the "Nordlys" theme would apply to your cruise.

Check the "Dining" link for your booking in My Cunard. You should see a section for Alternative Dining with the full list of themes offered on all the ships, not just the themes being offered on your cruise. That section includes links to the menus for each of the themes after you select "See details" for each of them.

La Piazza is mentioned for our May voyage on QV according to the personaliser. I’m not sure whether this means it will actually be available.

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

La Piazza is mentioned for our May voyage on QV according to the personaliser. I’m not sure whether this means it will actually be available.

Do you see the full list of themes (Coriander, La Piazza, Riviera, Bamboo, Frontier and Nordlys) for your voyage? That's what I'm seeing for our upcoming May voyage on QM2. My take on this is that the personaliser (My Cunard) is simply listing all the possible themes for all ships and all itineraries. If you have a more limited list in the personaliser for your voyage, I'll have to revise that assumption.

Edited by bluemarble

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Do you see the full list of themes (Coriander, La Piazza, Riviera, Bamboo, Frontier and Nordlys) for your voyage? That's what I'm seeing for our upcoming May voyage on QM2. My take on this is that the personaliser (My Cunard) is simply listing all the possible themes for all ships and all itineraries. If you have a more limited list in the personaliser for your voyage, I'll have to revise that assumption.

No, the  list is  same six as your personaliser.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And for me, though it does offer the opportunity to book, which I didn’t try.

No opportunity to book anything for our upcoming QM2 cruise yet. It tells me "You will be able to make reservations from April 16th 2023." That's exactly 14 days prior to our April 30 departure date. I'll be interested to see then which themes will have active links to book (or attempt to book).

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And for me, though it does offer the opportunity to book, which I didn’t try.

I can book from  fourteen days before departure so I guess that's when I'll know what the alternatives will be.

• Like 1

Just now, exlondoner said:

Indeed, but I shan’t book until on board anyway.

If we meet any old friends, we might book in order to dine with them. If not, I'll see if I can 'order in' if I fancy anything off the pop up menus.

40 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

No opportunity to book anything for our upcoming QM2 cruise yet. It tells me "You will be able to make reservations from April 16th 2023." That's exactly 14 days prior to our April 30 departure date. I'll be interested to see then which themes will have active links to book (or attempt to book).

In case it's of interest, my westbound QM2 crossing on 23rd April is offering Bamboo and La Piazza.

• Thanks 2

Hi there, we are booked on Queen Victoria 20th August round the British Isles, they sent us a plan, then it said you can't book anything yet, until 14 days prior to your sailing. Just wondering if the Lido Alternative evenings, have anything for this cruise. My husband loves Indian food, would you know if they do that. Any advice would help.

Thanks, I am Lady of the Nile from U.K.

Hi Photo Andy

We are on QV end of month and today received a email to book speciality restaurants which included Bamboo and Coriander which are based in the buffet restaurant on a evening,was easy to book a number of timings appear in 15 min intervals starting from 6.30pm through to 9pm plus there are sample menus 

Mrs Blue Sky

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Blue Sky said:

Hi Photo Andy

We are on QV end of month and today received a email to book speciality restaurants which included Bamboo and Coriander which are based in the buffet restaurant on a evening,was easy to book a number of timings appear in 15 min intervals starting from 6.30pm through to 9pm plus there are sample menus 

Mrs Blue Sky

There are sample menus on all personalisers for booked cruises. It's a case of waiting to see which of the pop ups are on which particular cruise.

• Like 1

Hi Victoria 2

Thanks for the pop up advice. On another note, does anyone on here, know if moving from the very front of the ship (accessible cabin) to a mid-ship if available is worth an extra nearly £500.00 for the two of us. I called them the other day as there has been a big price drop but they said "if I wanted to re-book, I would lose the deposit, plus other things. So I left it. Typical, if you book too early you "save" but then it drops, or you book "late saver" and nothing available. Thanks for your help, everyone. From: Lady of the Nile (Arlette and Murray) from UK.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Galla Night dress attire and meal planning:  Queen Victoria

We booked the world cruise SF to Southampton commencing 2/7/24, the Covid outbreak delayed our booking for our 50th anniversary, 12/26/2000. We just returned from a 10 day cruise on Elizabeth to test out the sister ship and its features as a comparison before we make our final payment for the world cruise.  We found plusses and minuses.

Dinner Menu:  It changed less frequently than on Princess however they did not offer the set menu like salmon so if you didn't like the worldwide varied menu you were forced to  gravitate to Lido.  Much too often!  I kept pushing the envelope to create my own dinner like a plain green salad with no dressing instead of the offerings. The worse thing was that dinner menus were not posted until after 3 PM daily so if you made your anytime reservation in the dining room in the AM to coordinate with your day's activity you just didn't show up for your dinner reservation and went to Lindo after you got all fancied up for dinner in the main room.  What a waste on meal preparation plans for the Galley.

Galla nights.  People were dressed quite nicely.  Not though the formal attire suggested.  Galla room filled up before early dining was able to get to the room.  Watching the amazing practiced dancers the entire night was mesmerizing.  Dancing lessons for us to begin for the world cruise.  I must say the neatness of the guests far outdid our latest Princess cruise. Everyone looked a mess all day on Princess.  On one formal nite in the formal diningroom only one elder gentleman wore a tux.  People need to improve their approach to their appearance.  A college class I took taught us how you are judged in both your private and public life for success by a proper appearance. My husband and I dressed like Dickens Corallers on the Masquerade night.  Everyone stopped us to be pictured with us.  That made our night and theirs rememberable.  The outfits were cheap Halloween costumes online.  Our experience that night will be remembered for years.

Light up your life with new adventures!  It is later than you think to explore these wonderful experiences!

Vernie & Al 

1_8162_09b_LobbyAlt_JF_0039.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

You both look amazing but for others looking in, this is the Masquerade 'invitation' to the evening.

The word 'costume' could be misleading but fancy dress was not the point of the evening. IMG_0842.thumb.jpeg.e7e5762ecae1c264a7afb7b973b3441a.jpeg

The opening blurb sounds like it's fancy dress, with the mention of elaborate costumes. Then the information that follows does not describe costumes at all. 

What movies did they show to go with the theme?

20 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The opening blurb sounds like it's fancy dress, with the mention of elaborate costumes. Then the information that follows does not describe costumes at all. 

What movies did they show to go with the theme?

Costume is mentioned in the onboard invitation and yes, open to misinterpretation apart from  the website mentions Italian Renaissance, Venetian themes and masks so one would assume costume refers to clothes of a Venetian theme.

Whatever, each to their own and  Giles2000 do look good. 🙂

Didn't look at the film offerings so can't help you there I'm afraid.