Pre/Post hotels Ft. Lauderdale

panamaline

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Book your own. Its cheaper and easier to use.

The op is not asking that question.  People do use the cruise line for various reasons.  It's is actually easier to do that because they get you from the airport to the hotel, hotel to ship. No way is it easier to do on your own. I actually got a much cheaper rate through hal than I could book on my own. Hotels are outrageous in Fort Lauderdale especially when you pay the Canadian equivalent. Cheapest very often doesn't equal best.

• Like 1

I have found that sourcing your own hotel in Fort Lauderdale works best for me. After arriving in FLL grab a taxi and head to the hotel rather than wait for other guests to arrive in order to fill the shuttle or bus. The hotels near the cruise port are very close to the airport, about a $15 ride. Next most hotels around the cruise port offer either a free or nominal fee shuttle to the ship or again a quick taxi ride. Not waiting for other guests is a plus for me. If on a budget, there are a myriad of hotels around the airport or city. There are many apps and travel sites that you may use to find one inside your budget. 

Fort Lauderdale is on of my favorite cruise ports! Now that we live in Central Florida we still choose to begin our vacation with an overnight stay which adds to the excitement of taking a cruise.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

own. I actually got a much cheaper rate through hal than I could book on my own

I had the same experience in Anchorage last summer, cheaper with HAL plus I got a free transfer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ISLANDFAN said:

I have found that sourcing your own hotel in Fort Lauderdale works best for me. After arriving in FLL grab a taxi and head to the hotel rather than wait for other guests to arrive in order to fill the shuttle or bus. The hotels near the cruise port are very close to the airport, about a $15 ride. Next most hotels around the cruise port offer either a free or nominal fee shuttle to the ship or again a quick taxi ride. Not waiting for other guests is a plus for me. If on a budget, there are a myriad of hotels around the airport or city. There are many apps and travel sites that you may use to find one inside your budget. 

Fort Lauderdale is on of my favorite cruise ports! Now that we live in Central Florida we still choose to begin our vacation with an overnight stay which adds to the excitement of taking a cruise.  

Every time I've been in Florida I've been charged between $20 to $25 yo ho go the  embassy suites or the renaissance.  I've never been charged only $15 in a cab. Maybe you are talking a shuttle of some sort.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kurtmi03 said:

Used a cab, with a meter, from FLL to the Embassy Suites on April 7th. $17.15 so it could as cheap as $15 or as much as $25 depending on traffic. Ours are usually between $15 and $20. 

Yeah, they never put the meter on. When I question it they always have some excuse.  Since my luggage is in the trunk I have very little recourse. I always seem to come in on a weekend so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

I've heard the stories about FLL taxis, so I avoid them. If I'm arriving in FLL (as opposed to a few pre-cruise days in Miami), it's usually Amtrak, and I use Uber. I stay at Embassy Suites, but like @ISLANDFAN, I don't want to wait for other people, so I use Uber to go to the port. My last two FLL Ubers were funny. Former new Yorkers who weren't sure they wanted to stay in FL. "It gets so hot here!" 

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've heard the stories about FLL taxis, so I avoid them. If I'm arriving in FLL (as opposed to a few pre-cruise days in Miami), it's usually Amtrak, and I use Uber. I stay at Embassy Suites, but like @ISLANDFAN, I don't want to wait for other people, so I use Uber to go to the port. My last two FLL Ubers were funny. Former new Yorkers who weren't sure they wanted to stay in FL. "It gets so hot here!" 

FLL is the worst for taxi drivers and Uber can be iffy too.  If I have to I stay at a hotel with shuttle service simply to avoid the taxis 

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I use uber at home a ton.  I haven't had the best luck with uber in Florida.  Will they load the luggage in the vehicle for you?  Thanks.

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

I use uber at home a ton.  I haven't had the best luck with uber in Florida.  Will they load the luggage in the vehicle for you?  Thanks.

They almost always have for me (one exception, see below). I'm always surprised at the ones who have a bunch of stuff in the trunk, especially in FLL. Don't they know it's a tourist place and people travel with luggage???? But they always manage to get my luggage in. 

I've only once had a bad Uber driver, and that was going to the airport from home. She pulled up across the street from my house (it was 6 AM IIRC), and just popped the trunk. It was raining, and I live on a hill. I had to manage my rolling suitcase (which wanted to roll down the hill) and get it into the trunk. Something was wrong with her GPS (or her driving skills). She kept missing turns and then following ridiculous directions to get back on track, while I was yelling directions from the back seat--"Just turn HERE" etc. Needless to say, she got no tip and zero stars.

• Thanks 2

I used Lyft last fall from Port Everglades to MIA and he loaded and unloaded by bags in the pouring rain....as they should.  I compared Uber to Lyft and Lyft was cheaper and could arrive to pick me up sooner (again, pouring rain!!).  It pays to check both.  I used a taxi to and from Port Everglades to my hotel in Ft. Lauderdale (The Riverside) and they both turned on the meters.  About $20 both ways.

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

They almost always have for me (one exception, see below). I'm always surprised at the ones who have a bunch of stuff in the trunk, especially in FLL. Don't they know it's a tourist place and people travel with luggage???? But they always manage to get my luggage in. 

I've only once had a bad Uber driver, and that was going to the airport from home. She pulled up across the street from my house (it was 6 AM IIRC), and just popped the trunk. It was raining, and I live on a hill. I had to manage my rolling suitcase (which wanted to roll down the hill) and get it into the trunk. Something was wrong with her GPS (or her driving skills). She kept missing turns and then following ridiculous directions to get back on track, while I was yelling directions from the back seat--"Just turn HERE" etc. Needless to say, she got no tip and zero stars.

Thank you.  Some of them aren’t bright.  I give exact addresses if it doesn’t show properly plus I’ll say I’m in front of abc drugs or Publix etc.  Still they will wait a block away and I get charged waiting time.  When I’ve used it n Florida they’ve gone by me, forgot to end the ride or gotten further and further away.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

😵