Does the Golden Lion offer dinner on QM2?

anglobibliophile

We are trying to decide if we want to forgo gala nights in May (we did them on our first crossing and have a month in England beyond the sailing, so dragging around dress clothes is not optimal). I've searched but can't find a definitive answer: does the Golden Lion offer a dinner menu on QM2? And is the alternate dining (Piazza, Bamboo, etc) usually offered on gala nights or only on non-gala nights? Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

I've just spent 4 days travelling to, from and in Scotland via London airports. Other than wearing a dinner suit to a wedding I wore a blazer (is that a sport-coat in the US?), long sleeved collared shirts and trousers (slacks) throughout. I didn't feel overdressed in any situation we were in. I could just as easily have worn a dark suit rather than jacket and trousers.

My point is that all I would have needed to add to my luggage was a tie to comply with Cunard's gala night dress codes. I had several bow ties with me, one to wear with my wedding outfit and spares in case any relatives had forgotten theirs or we decided on a colour change at last minute.

Ladies would only need lightweight dresses or separates that could be worn at any time in UK.

I don't quite understand why travelling light should stop anyone enjoying meals in any venue on the ship on gala evenings.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, D&N said:

I've just spent 4 days travelling to, from and in Scotland via London airports. Other than wearing a dinner suit to a wedding I wore a blazer (is that a sport-coat in the US?), long sleeved collared shirts and trousers (slacks) throughout. I didn't feel overdressed in any situation we were in. I could just as easily have worn a dark suit rather than jacket and trousers.

My point is that all I would have needed to add to my luggage was a tie to comply with Cunard's gala night dress codes. I had several bow ties with me, one to wear with my wedding outfit and spares in case any relatives had forgotten theirs or we decided on a colour change at last minute.

Ladies would only need lightweight dresses or separates that could be worn at any time in UK.

I don't quite understand why travelling light should stop anyone enjoying meals in any venue on the ship on gala evenings.

I can see it is easier for women though.

• Like 1

A

5 minutes ago, D&N said:

A Clefs 'dor Concierge once told us when he saw our  [comparatively] rather  sparse luggage as we checked in to a very smart hotel, he could always tell those used to travelling as they had the art of packing 'concisely', sussed!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

A

A Clefs 'dor Concierge once told us when he saw our  [comparatively] rather  sparse luggage as we checked in to a very smart hotel, he could always tell those used to travelling as they had the art of packing 'concisely', sussed!

When we unloaded a medium suitcase plus a small item of hand luggage each, a porter at Southampton asked if we were really going on holiday for a fortnight. 😀 We attended all formal nights appropriately dressed.

• Like 1

The 'Chefs Gallery' section of Kings Court [starboard side, near stairway 'C'] offers table service [pasta & pizza] but seems not to follow the 'gala night' dress code.

The 'pop up' space on the port side between stair case 'C' & 'D' does follow the dress code.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gomac said:

We had a very enjoyable dinner in the Golden Lion on the QE back on our October 2022 Med cruise, is it different for QM2?

It seems to be. There seems to be no mention of pub dinner in the Daily Programme for our QM2 Med cruise last summer.

29 minutes ago, Gomac said:

We had a very enjoyable dinner in the Golden Lion on the QE back on our October 2022 Med cruise, is it different for QM2?

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It seems to be. There seems to be no mention of pub dinner in the Daily Programme for our QM2 Med cruise last summer.

Same here. I've seen no mention of dinner in the Golden Lion in any of my QM2 daily programmes. The standard hours listed for "Pub Lunch" are 12:00pm-2:30pm. On the days when the clocks are moved ahead at noon on eastbound crossings, those hours were adjusted to 11:30am-2:30pm. Recently on embarkation day the hours were listed as 1:00pm-4:00pm. No other hours listed for meal service in the Golden Lion on QM2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D&N said:

Four weeks is a little different from four days, and when one factors in hiking boots, backpacks (we spend more time rambling than anything else), dress shoes, and the fact that we don't usually check our suitcases when flying, one can imagine why we're considering forgoing the gala evenings. It's not a big deal to us--I was just wondering if there were other options on those evenings for something beyond King's Court as we make our decision.

Thanks for all the replies. 

10 hours ago, DrTee said:

There’s nothing wrong with King’s Court. 

Agreed! We just tend to pop in there during lunch a lot, so it's trying to find that balance. I think my DH was confused about the changed dress code (even though I've tried to explain it clearly!), so now he realizes he doesn't need more than one jacket. I think we'll make the gala evenings work. And still pop in to Kings Court. 🙂

• Like 3