Does Princess Alaska sell completely out?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I posted this in the Alaska board and people recommended that I also post it here:

If I try to book a Princess Vancouver to Whittier (or vice versa) in June or July tor for August or Sept us it likely that everything would be sold out? I'd only do it for a balcony and would want to choose my own room.

If doing cruise only, there should be space IF you are flexible with departure date, cabin location and ship. If you want something very specific book now while it is still available. The longer you wait the less desirable the room locations may be, or you may need to adjust date/ship. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

Will you need to fly? The longer you wait to book airfare the higher likelihood the fare will go up. If you will not need airfare, why are you waiting till June/July to book for August/September. Airfare from Anchorage is limited and expensive along with transfer needed from Whittier to ANC. 

Are you also considering land tour before or after sailing? If not, if you can, try to book roundtrip Vancouver, 14 day sailing and if not available, then book the 7 day B2B. Northbound and Southbound.

Our first cruise to Alaska was LONG ago and in an interior cabin. It was fine. We spent a lot of time out of the cabin. Since those days, we prefer at least a balcony, but if my dates were set I wouldn’t rule out an interior cabin. 

If that’s the cruise you want to go on, book it and then be very active with available cabins in the category you want. Check often and hold immediately if you see something. 
you should be able to find someone who cancels or bid? Or enjoy the cheaper cruise in interior and spend your time outside the cabin? 

Thanks.  FYI I'm currently booked on an early August cruise like this, where I have to PIF by May 7,  but am thinking of canceling b/c I'm not ready to decide between it and a cruise for which the PIF date is in mid June.   I can do only one right now.  I'm thinking of canceling this Alaska to move the decision date to later and then if I cancel the other cruise I might reinstate Alaska.  I do realize that by that point the things I want might be sold out enough for 2023 that I might be compelled to move to 2024.  I originally had this all set for summer 2022 but a family emergency a week before my flights meant I had to redo it all.  I wasn't then able to replan exactly as before b/c it had been a group cruise and now the group is going to Canada / New England instead.  So I'm deciding between Alaska and Canada / New England.  I may do that one this year and Alaska 2024.

Assuming you are not within driving distance of the port, I would be more worried about finding an affordable last minute  flight for Seattle/Vancouver/Anchorage than I would be with finding a cabin.  I am flying from Ohio and flights are not cheap! I would definitely want refundable air tickets booked.  If you cancel and rebook Alaska you may find more availability after late when schools are back in session. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 1

I agree with the several comments about airfare costs being another concern to be considered.  Taking that out of the picture, if you can decide and commit to an Alaska cruise closer to 90 days out, instead of what seems to be 60 days out, cabins seem to become available right before and around final payment date.  (even 75 days out, could give you a few more options) There used to be an unofficial grace period just following final payment date when unpaid reservations were still held a few days further before being re-released for sale.  I wouldn’t count on that, but the likelihood of cabins becoming available right around final payment date for any Alaska cruise might be your best time to book which would push your commitment out as long as possible.  

Edited by I Fly
  • Like 1

Thank you all.  Your comments about air travel are really important, as I am on the east coast.  When I was booked for June 2022 I booked my flights in April.  I had nonrefundable flights bought by Chase points and ended up with a flight credit which I used for a different kind of trip b/c I wanted to use it for a time frame where Alaska cruising wasn't happening.  I had a first class ticket;  Chase told me that if I'd had an economy ticket I would have just lost my points.  I may well be better off if I just hold off on Alaska until 2024...the other cruise I have booked is a Canada / New England that leaves out of Brooklyn so all I have to do before embarkation is 3 hrs on a train from DC to NYC.  That is something I know I can easily handle, vs several long connecting flights.  The flight home from Quebec City doesn't sound too hard either.  (I am someone who strongly dislikes flying.)

I doubt there will be sell-outs for n/s cruises--just look at the low prices compared to the r/t out of Seattle. That's because families don't want to fly to Alaska, so even with all the megaships going out of Seattle, all the lines have some sell-outs and high prices. There are also 2 ships doing the n/s route, so they're trying to fill both of them every Wednesday and Saturday. As a back-up, you also have the Crown doing r/t trips out of Vancouver, and some visit Hubbard and some Glacier Bay and some are longer, 10-11 days.