What happened with Carnival Roll Calls?

MujerIsla

Back in the day, I was on cruisecritic with my maiden name. (Just prefacing that for when I ask a question about the dark ages but y'all see that I've only been a member for a short while). When we cruised before, the Carnival Roll Calls were the place to be! Like hundreds if not thousands of posts with people getting to know each other before and after their cruises. I bumped into people on the ship whose pictures I recognized from the Roll Call. I went and perused the Roll Calls recently, expecting to already have my cruise's Roll Call posted and up and running, but not only was mine not there yet, all the others had like 1 or 2 comments in them. What happened to the wild and crazy Carnival Roll Calls??

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

Video killed the radio star.............and social media has killed the roll calls.

Do people hang out on cruisecritic or Carnival social media? That sounds way lamer than roll calls! 😁

1 minute ago, MujerIsla said:

Do people hang out on cruisecritic or Carnival social media? That sounds way lamer than roll calls! 😁

It is much better IMHO, people adding and trading pics, info and a much larger reach. If you go to a large media site and type in your cruise date you would be surprised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

While the social media sites have some advantages, IMHO, they are much less civil platforms.  While I’m sure many of those folks find CC boring, at least there is not usually outright hostility to other posters.  I use them to some degree but prefer CC.

It seems more civil here to me too. 

• Like 1

I miss the roll calls of days past as well. Ours for our last cruise just never even got going. Although we did have a good sized social media group. I feel like the pandemic influenced the demise as well! 

Just now, kingston13 said:

You can start one 

• Don't see your sailing date on the list.  Use the START NEW TOPIC button to add yours.  Please format your sailing date in this fashion January XX, 20XX to be sure it is easily searched.

Yep, I did finally. But then I saw that none of the others even had any activity. So, it just doesn't look like a hangout spot anymore.

1 minute ago, MujerIsla said:

Yep, I did finally. But then I saw that none of the others even had any activity. So, it just doesn't look like a hangout spot anymore.

It’s not. I started one for my sailing. Granted it’s a year off, but it’s on the jubilee so I thought there would be excitement since it’s a brand new ship. And I KNOW the sailing heavily booked…

• Like 1

I agree with others here, I miss the roll calls here. I felt it was easier to follow and very specific. I did have one on the main social media site last year for our spring break cruise. We met a few people from it on an excursion actually, just by chance though. I'm also not a fan of sharing too much on there, as it's a more personal site. So while nobody really "knows" me here, I feel people are more civil here. We had a great one for our European cruise in 2017 and it's how we booked an independent tour for Omaha Beach which was amazing!

• Like 1