When did the Classic beverage change to tiered pricing?

VitaminSea53

On 4/25/2023 at 5:38 PM, poffles said:

It is $10 ceiling for beer just like other alcohol. 

I was just on an cruise (Edge) 2 weeks ago and Stella or other beer priced at $11 were charged the $1 plus the grat.  As someone else mentioned, they sometimes turned a blind eye to actually charging but any charge applied is based on $10 allowance with the classic package. 

It was funny because I was ordering Michelob Ultra first few days, no upcharge, and on day 3 a bartender suddenly said it would cost a $1 ????  Oddly nobody prior had mentioned this and I know I wasn't charged because you have to sign something for any charge.  I found this interesting and not really about the $1 but the idea of it being comparable to other higher cost beer.  Michelob was never in the higher cost category on any prior cruise but guess it is now 🤪. I think Michelob Ultra being priced like Stella is ridiculous, and I could never find it on a menu to even see what it actually cost.

OH well.

From my experience you do not necessarily have to sign something to be charged.  It may be a temporary change due to Covid.  My latest Celebrity cruise was in November 2022.  

10 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

Here is a photo that might help the conversation. It shows what is included in the Classic beverage package and the picture was just taken on a Celebrity cruise ship just days ago so very current. As you can see there are plenty of choices to keep nearly everybody happy. 

D974B57B-6DFD-4BC1-B7B4-B690BD0BBDB2.jpeg.f84fcb3e2318069dc6ca09f849099818.jpeg

Thanks!  Which ship was this?  The website list for Classic doesn't include Sam Adams, so that's a welcome addition.  I wonder if it's available fleet-wide?

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

From my experience you do not necessarily have to sign something to be charged.  It may be a temporary change due to Covid.  My latest Celebrity cruise was in November 2022.  

Hi

I always find it hard to see how they categorise drinks into Call or Pall.

Stella Artois in our local Asda here 30 cans or bottles in the UK can be had for the  equivalent of $26…..$1.15 a bottle.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

I always find it hard to see how they categorise drinks into Call or Pall.

Stella Artois in our local Asda here 30 cans or bottles in the UK can be had for the  equivalent of $26…..$1.15 a bottle.

It’s not what they can buy it for, it’s what they can sell it for.   And whether most of the passengers would consider it a “premium” beer.

A lot of the beers in the classic list can be had for well under $1.00/can in US stores.

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

It’s not what they can buy it for, it’s what they can sell it for.   And whether most of the passengers would consider it a “premium” beer.

A lot of the beers in the classic list can be had for well under $1.00/can in US stores.

Hi

I agree,,it’s just that I can’t work out the criteria for which beer goes in which category.

For example,,,,Guinness is in Classic as is Newcastle Brown but Stella is in Premium.

Yet Guinness and NB  in the UK are far more expensive than Stella.

I for one would never consider Stella a premium beer.

No matter,,,I only drink Guinness,Boddingtons and Jameson’s on Celebrity,all on the CP…I’m happy.

I was on a Celebrity ship a few years ago sailing from Dublin and they had no Cans of draught Guinness only bottles of Guinness Foreign Extra 7.5,even the Irish on board couldn’t drink that,,,,one Cork man actually put water in it.

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

I agree,,it’s just that I can’t work out the criteria for which beer goes in which category.

For example,,,,Guinness is in Classic as is Newcastle Brown but Stella is in Premium.

Yet Guinness and NB  in the UK are far more expensive than Stella.

I for one would never consider Stella a premium beer.

No matter,,,I only drink Guinness,Boddingtons and Jameson’s on Celebrity,all on the CP…I’m happy.

I was on a Celebrity ship a few years ago sailing from Dublin and they had no Cans of draught Guinness only bottles of Guinness Foreign Extra 7.5,even the Irish on board couldn’t drink that,,,,one Cork man actually put water in it.

I wonder if the drink list that was posted was just for that ship and/or sailing, maybe due to supply issues.  Close to half the beers listed aren’t on the list at the website.

On 4/23/2023 at 6:41 PM, VitaminSea53 said:

I just realize my booking receipt lists the Classic beverage package as follows:

Classic Beverage Package: Enjoy your favorite fountain sodas, fresh-squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees and teas, and non-premium bottled water as well as beers up to USD 6 per serving, spirits and cocktails up to USD 8 per serving, and wine up to USD 10 per serving

I thought it was the same no matter which form of alcoholic beverage.  Am I crazy?  Has it always been this way??

The different categories and different prices appear to be as they were back in 2006 - right before they were consolidated into an overall single price ceiling.  Someone obviously screwed up when they produced your booking receipt.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2023 at 10:38 AM, NantahalaCruiser said:

The different categories and different prices appear to be as they were back in 2006 - right before they were consolidated into an overall single price ceiling.  Someone obviously screwed up when they produced your booking receipt.

Sorry, typo - it changed in 2016