When did the Classic beverage change to tiered pricing?

VitaminSea53

I just realize my booking receipt lists the Classic beverage package as follows:

Classic Beverage Package: Enjoy your favorite fountain sodas, fresh-squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees and teas, and non-premium bottled water as well as beers up to USD 6 per serving, spirits and cocktails up to USD 8 per serving, and wine up to USD 10 per serving

I thought it was the same no matter which form of alcoholic beverage.  Am I crazy?  Has it always been this way??

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The website says any alcoholic beverage up to $10 on the package description and comparison. It doesn't break it down by beer/cocktail/wine.

Right - that is what I thought.  This is what the website says: 

Classic Package

Enjoy the drink you want, when you want it, morning, noon, and night, with a fantastic array of liquors, wines for any palate, beers from light and crisp to dark and robust, plus alcoholic drinks up to $10. 

47 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I just realize my booking receipt lists the Classic beverage package as follows:

Classic Beverage Package: Enjoy your favorite fountain sodas, fresh-squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees and teas, and non-premium bottled water as well as beers up to USD 6 per serving, spirits and cocktails up to USD 8 per serving, and wine up to USD 10 per serving

I thought it was the same no matter which form of alcoholic beverage.  Am I crazy?  Has it always been this way??

Except for the wine price, this sounds like the description of the Standard Beverage package that as I recall was offer by travel agents in the UK.  I haven’t seen that on the Celebrity site for a number of years. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Right - that is what I thought.  This is what the website says: 

Classic Package

Enjoy the drink you want, when you want it, morning, noon, and night, with a fantastic array of liquors, wines for any palate, beers from light and crisp to dark and robust, plus alcoholic drinks up to $10. 

If you read it carefully, it’s stating four different categories.

Liquors

Wines

Beers

Alcoholic Drinks up to $10

if a comma had been placed after drinks, you could argue that the up to $10 applies to all of them, but it wasn’t.

Also, for liquors and beers there is a specific list of what is included, so price is moot.

We just returned from sailing on the Solstice.  We were in Aqua Class with the Classic drink package.  It included wine, mixed drinks and beer up to $10.  Anything over that they charged us an upcharge.  Does that answer your question?  There is a list of the beer that is included with the package, and at each restaurant the wine list shows you the price of each glass.  The martini bar is the tricky one, but the guys are very accommodating by giving you the smaller martini glass.  It's very hit and miss at each bar and restaurant. Some are real sticklers!

• Like 1

Just now, MandL said:

We just returned from sailing on the Solstice.  We were in Aqua Class with the Classic drink package.  It included wine, mixed drinks and beer up to $10.  Anything over that they charged us an upcharge.  Does that answer your question?  There is a list of the beer that is included with the package, and at each restaurant the wine list shows you the price of each glass.  The martini bar is the tricky one, but the guys are very accommodating by giving you the smaller martini glass.  It's very hit and miss at each bar and restaurant. Some are real sticklers!

Thanks - that answers my question.  I wonder why my cruise confirmation listed each type of beverage separately.  Oh well….

23 hours ago, Mark_K said:

If you read it carefully, it’s stating four different categories.

Liquors

Wines

Beers

Alcoholic Drinks up to $10

if a comma had been placed after drinks, you could argue that the up to $10 applies to all of them, but it wasn’t.

Also, for liquors and beers there is a specific list of what is included, so price is moot.

8 hours ago, MandL said:

Price is only moot if you stick to your package.  What is the base cost of the different types of drinks when you pay the difference?  If I order a beer that's not included in the classic package, am I paying the difference above $10, or above $6 like the OP's message may imply? 

On 4/24/2023 at 10:50 AM, upwarduk said:

I believe that this price was $9 in 2022, but $11 on sailings from Southampton.

I think it’s because UK VAT is included.

It's not VAT but the all up price including gratuities which have to be included in UK and European cruises. Fortunately, I believe it's only Spain which includes VAT on drinks and other purchases while the ship is in port.  

2 hours ago, bigAWL said:

Price is only moot if you stick to your package.  What is the base cost of the different types of drinks when you pay the difference?  If I order a beer that's not included in the classic package, am I paying the difference above $10, or above $6 like the OP's message may imply? 

You will pay the difference between the beer allowance amount and the price of the beer you ordered. Any gratuity if applicable will be added as well to the extra amount. i.e. a $1 difference would cost you $1.20.

10 minutes ago, vanman said:

You will pay the difference between the beer allowance amount and the price of the beer you ordered. Any gratuity if applicable will be added as well to the extra amount. i.e. a $1 difference would cost you $1.20.

My question is... how do I determine the beer allowance.  The OP's message seems to say it's $6.  Some of the menus I've seen posted online show the Classic-included beers priced at $7-8.  The Celebrity website says the Classic drink package "includes alcoholic drinks up to $10."  The answer can make a big difference in whether I decided to upgrade to the premium package or not.

26 minutes ago, bigAWL said:

My question is... how do I determine the beer allowance.  The OP's message seems to say it's $6.  Some of the menus I've seen posted online show the Classic-included beers priced at $7-8.  The Celebrity website says the Classic drink package "includes alcoholic drinks up to $10."  The answer can make a big difference in whether I decided to upgrade to the premium package or not.

bawl - good thing is, you can wait until you board to figure out the policy enforce to determine about the upgrade or not....

One day only to determine, to be sure...

Cheers and bon voyage

Your allowance is 10.00 period.  On the Classic package it doesn’t matter if you find a beer for $5, $6, $7, $8, $9, $10 it is included.  If you find one for $11.00 you will pay extra $1.00 plus gratuity.  If you find one for $12.00 you will pay extra $2.00 plus gratuity.   Same goes for wine, same goes for cocktails.  This cannot be any clearer.

6 hours ago, bigAWL said:

I can understand why you would be confused.  I am fairly confident that with non alcoholic product like San Pellegrino you have to pay the full price.
Bo’s suggestion is a good one, but you might be sacrificing your Elite discount in the upgrade. (If you have one).

Mandi is very confident.  Mandi have you cruised with a Classic package and purchased beers not on the Classic list?  It would certainly be clearer without the comma and plus comment.

IMG_0765.png

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

Yes.  We’re Elite Plus, cruised five times in the last six months (two times with the premium package, 4 times with the classic package).  It is not worth upgrading to the premium package unless you are hanging out at the bars all day drinking premium beers and wines.  And really, the Premium package has a cap on it also which doesn’t cover some of the really good beer and wine.  We opted to pay the difference as needed.  It can be a nuisance though to sign a slip every time you go over.  He can always see how it goes the first couple of days.  They will prorate the upgrade if he decides he wants to upgrade later in the cruise.  Another consideration is your itinerary.  Are you at sea a bunch of days?  If so, you are more likely to use your drink package and may want the upgraded package.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bigAWL said:

you are paying the difference above $10.

10 hours ago, bigAWL said:

It is $10 ceiling for beer just like other alcohol. 

I was just on an cruise (Edge) 2 weeks ago and Stella or other beer priced at $11 were charged the $1 plus the grat.  As someone else mentioned, they sometimes turned a blind eye to actually charging but any charge applied is based on $10 allowance with the classic package. 

It was funny because I was ordering Michelob Ultra first few days, no upcharge, and on day 3 a bartender suddenly said it would cost a $1 ????  Oddly nobody prior had mentioned this and I know I wasn't charged because you have to sign something for any charge.  I found this interesting and not really about the $1 but the idea of it being comparable to other higher cost beer.  Michelob was never in the higher cost category on any prior cruise but guess it is now 🤪. I think Michelob Ultra being priced like Stella is ridiculous, and I could never find it on a menu to even see what it actually cost.

OH well.

Edited by poffles

Here’s a couple interesting ones for you…...a glass of Castle Rock Pinot Noir was priced at $11 on the menus in Blu & Tuscan, but when we had lunch at Sushi on Five it was priced at $9. Tuscan always charged us the extra $1 plus gratuity, Blu it depended on which Sommelier was waiting on us.  When we were in a bar and would order a margarita we’d ask for Don Julio. If they didn’t have it they would give us Patron Silver at no extra charge.  That’s what I meant by it’s hit and miss.  Plus I really think if you take the time to be friendly to the staff they appreciate it.  Smiles go a long way.  These people work hard.

1 hour ago, MandL said:

Here’s a couple interesting ones for you…...a glass of Castle Rock Pinot Noir was priced at $11 on the menus in Blu & Tuscan, but when we had lunch at Sushi on Five it was priced at $9. Tuscan always charged us the extra $1 plus gratuity, Blu it depended on which Sommelier was waiting on us.  When we were in a bar and would order a margarita we’d ask for Don Julio. If they didn’t have it they would give us Patron Silver at no extra charge.  That’s what I meant by it’s hit and miss.  Plus I really think if you take the time to be friendly to the staff they appreciate it.  Smiles go a long way.  These people work hard.

Smiles and a tip! A few bucks tip with each drink and you are “taken care of big time”.

13 hours ago, MandL said:

Your allowance is 10.00 period.  On the Classic package it doesn’t matter if you find a beer for $5, $6, $7, $8, $9, $10 it is included.  If you find one for $11.00 you will pay extra $1.00 plus gratuity.  If you find one for $12.00 you will pay extra $2.00 plus gratuity.   Same goes for wine, same goes for cocktails.  This cannot be any clearer.

Thank you so much for the confirmation and your experiences.  I really did think it was clear, until I read the language posted by the originator of this thread... "beers up to USD 6 per serving, spirits and cocktails up to USD 8 per serving, and wine up to USD 10 per serving."

Here is a photo that might help the conversation. It shows what is included in the Classic beverage package and the picture was just taken on a Celebrity cruise ship just days ago so very current. As you can see there are plenty of choices to keep nearly everybody happy. 

D974B57B-6DFD-4BC1-B7B4-B690BD0BBDB2.jpeg.f84fcb3e2318069dc6ca09f849099818.jpeg

• Thanks 1