Bucket list cruise - when to book, but sales, increases, decreases, the same?

Universe93B

Excited to go on our 2nd NCL cruise - a bucket list Europe trip (Greek Isles) - June 16-25, 2024 on the NCL Getaway.

It’s currently $7340 for a balcony room for 4 people.  We are just leaving over a year out, when do prices go up here?  Possibly within the year mark?  Trying to see when to book.  

Are there any big NCL sales coming up?  I’ve found most of the NCL sales like 70% 2nd guest are really just all the same by adjusting the other passenger prices up.  

Any advice on when you guys would book this?

This is a very common question and the answer always is this:

Did you know that if the price of the cruise goes down you can all NCL or your TA and ask for a price reduction?  Happens all the time.

Most recommend you go ahead and book the cruise now.

Periodically, say every month or so, check the price on the NCL website.

If it's gone down, call and ask for a price reduction.  You can do that an unlimited number of times until final payment date.

After final payment, you can only get one price reduction and it will be in the form  of a Future Cruise Credit which can only be applied to a future cruise.

If you go ahead and book now, you can get future price reductions and you're protected against an increase in price.

Don't get excited about NCL sales.  They're usually just a marketing gimmic.  You are absolutely correct "most of the NCL sales like 70% 2nd guest are really just all the same by adjusting the other passenger prices up."

Or, this week's sale maybe all passengers are 50% off.  Next weeks sale, the first passenger pays 100% and the 2nd passenger is free.  Mathematically those are the same thing.  

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

i have posted before that when it comes to "sales" i am very anal. it seems lkie they jack up the prices, then call the new prices a sale. no matter how you adjust it, ncl wins in the end. 

my best advice to you, (after i've taken over 20 cruises with ncl over the past 13 years) is find a cruise you want (in this case you already have) book it with the $250 down payment, and wait it out until 120 days before final payment is due. if it goes down, call and have your fare adjusted.

sometimes the fare go down afterlst payment is due. if you wait that long, while you may be saving $$$ your choice of cabins may not be that desirable. tight now, we're booked on a march 2024 cruise from africa, and im looking at a b2b oct 2024. just remember it might be a little squishy for 4 people (especially adults) in a balcony cabin with only 1 bathroom. hope youre all close.

As an FYI if the price does go down and you rebook you will then get what ever perks are being offered at the time of the rebooking.  So sometimes you have to weigh those things out and decide if it's worth it depending on what perks you may loose.  

It has been my experience that the listed prices are usually at their lowest when they are first posted.  The “sales” as others have said are generally a gimmick.  Once you near final payment date the prices will usually begin to fall if the cruise is not selling as well as expected.  And yes, you can get some real deals inside final payment and close to sailing, but the cabin type you like may be sold out, or only cabins in problem areas are all that is available.

Book it early and keep note of price changes.  Outside of final payment there is no penalty to rebook, although your promos will be what is offered on the new booking.   As you will be booking a 3rd and 4th passenger pay close attention to that area as it often times is where you will see promos differ.

The only “real” deals I’ve found consistently with NCL are the 10% vets discount, sailings with no solo supplement, or simply booking for a favorable time of year (low season, first 2 weeks in Dec, etc).
I usually watch the prices pretty closely and it seems most price reductions are more “huh, price went down for some reason” other than reduction being attributed to a sale.

Agree with others; book what you’re comfortable with then watch the prices.

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Buy the cruise. Watch pricing for drops. Rebook. 

There may be a sale where a guest n2 is free. There maybe a sale where guest 3 and 4 sail free. 

this.

also, June is busy/peak season.  i did this sail in October which is much less crowded and usually a tad cheaper.

Edited by BostonGal35

15 hours ago, Universe93B said:

Excited to go on our 2nd NCL cruise - a bucket list Europe trip (Greek Isles) - June 16-25, 2024 on the NCL Getaway.

It’s currently $7340 for a balcony room for 4 people.  We are just leaving over a year out, when do prices go up here?  Possibly within the year mark?  Trying to see when to book.  

Are there any big NCL sales coming up?  I’ve found most of the NCL sales like 70% 2nd guest are really just all the same by adjusting the other passenger prices up.  

Any advice on when you guys would book this?

Book now.  You are traveling during peak travel season ( most schools are out, kids/families on holidays). If you keep waiting, you may not get the room you had originally preferred.  And if you are doing the Airfare package, prices can only go up.  Like everyone says, book now. If price goes down, call NCL to get adjustment. 

Was going crazy looking at different websites to find the best price or deal but finally caved and booked with NCL Personal Cruise Consultant for the 1st time.    Will keep eyes open for Black Friday sale or anything prior to see if get better deal, cruise is not until May 2024. 🙃

• Like 1