Clothing/dress code/Europe in September

Kristelle

I gather from reading here and elsewhere that river cruises are not overly dressy.

We are going with Scenic Amsterdam to Budapest  in September - Scenic's own page of FAQ's has questions on clothes to pack and says Women are required to bring one dress or skirt.

is this really so?

Why?

I do not own a skirt and hardly ever wear a dress - the couple I have are very summery and surely not suitable for weather of around 20 deg celcius

Is there anything, including the Moulin Rouge we are doing in Paris pre tour, that women cannot wear smart slacks and a dressy top?

Do you know I’ve never seen that Scenic ‘require’ anything one year an Australian guy insisted on wearing his shorts to dinner he was asked once if he would please wear trousers and refused - so for the rest of his cruise at dinner he sat alone even his wife wouldn’t join him. 
I’ve been on many Scenic cruises and would you believe I’ve actually been looking for a long skirt for this year but have decided on a pair of culottes, or wide trousers. I’m not a skirt wearer. In the evening I wear smart trousers usually, no jeans but I do have a black pair of designer jeans which I could easily get away with. Dressy tops yes, who doesn’t want to look as good as possible, a little bit of bling works wonders and a showy wrap, I find the restaurant air con a bit on the chilly side, I usually forget it and have to retrieve it in the morning if our butler hasn’t beaten me to it.

Please the Scenic crew are really friendly and helpful if you’re unsure about anything just ask. 
We’ve walked on board a new cruise to be greeted by ‘hello Mr John’  etc when a member of the crew remembers us from a previous cruise. 
Our next cruise will be interesting.

5 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Scenic's own page of FAQ's has questions on clothes to pack and says Women are required to bring one dress or skirt.

I would agree with the others and say that they are not needed but you are going on a long cruise and perhaps, just perhaps, there is a (new) excursion like a concert offered in the evening (most likely Vienna) where there is a dress code. It could be the case. Perhaps check on the first evening on board? I packed a clothes item for the gala evening only to find it had suffered too much while packing so I bought a replacement in Linz, Austria. No problem. Or they just prefer you to dress up for the gala evening in which case I would just go for the smart black trousers when packing.

notamermaid

• Like 1

A pair of black pants which you can dress up or down is your best friend. 

European women dress very chic. Simple good quality well fitted clothes. Usually with an added scarf or interesting necklace. 

I personally like longer casual skirts, they are comfortable and cooler in warmer weather while touring. 

Bottom line, wear what you are comfortable in. 

• Like 2

I have never sailed with Scenic but I have also never heard of any line requiring a woman to wear a skirt or a dress

• Like 1

Just a note, “designer” jeans are just jeans and not the best choice for an elegant dinner.  Black slacks can work in a variety of ways day to evening depending on occasion.  If you have space in your luggage there are now some really great midi skirts and culottes that work well day to evening and are no shorter than cropped pants.

I cannot imagine a venue on a river cruise that would require dresses, even a concert in Vienna unless it’s an actual ball - not likely for a boatload of tourists.

Well from what I can see it’s not in the U.K. small print. If you look there are some beautiful dresses available these days I just wish I was the right shape to wear them, although skirts, trousers, or culottes are more useful with mix and match tops and you haven’t seen my black designer jeans.

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I cannot imagine a venue on a river cruise that would require dresses, even a concert in Vienna unless it’s an actual ball - not likely for a boatload of tourists.

It would be really unusual, I guessed it could be a reason but I am not convinced.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Well from what I can see it’s not in the U.K. small print.

Interesting that the websites should differ in such an odd detail.

notamermaid

was just curious if AMA had given us any guidance for the concerns in Vienna in 2019, they did 

Optional Mozart and Strauss Concert:  note: the concert takes place in a hall without AC and it might get warm (ouch) Dress code: smart,

This was in November though,

this is what it says: int he Scenic FAQ under What clothing should I pack?

General:

• Casual sportswear for daytime that can be mixed/matched/layered
  • Jumper/warm jacket/gloves/hat/scarf for cooler mornings and nights
  • Swimwear
  • Comfortable walking shoes with rubber soles for good grip
  • Sunglasses and sun hat
  • Women require a minimum of one skirt or dress
  •  

it isnt specifically river cruises but Scenic tours in general

I dont think I'll be needing swimwear either but obviously that is for warmer places not Europe in autumn

Anyway you have all reassurred me - and the photo in Canal Archive post, I see one lady is wearing a dress and one is wearing slacks and pretty top - so that sort of thing would be my go-to as well for dressy evenings out, like concerts and gala night thingies.

My husband does not wear ties - last wore one to wedding of our son 4 years ago.

He would wear formal pants and a collared shirt so seems that would be ok too.

Found it but the wording is really different -

There are no specific pieces of clothing we insist you pack - blah blah advice on shoes blah blah then the last sentence-

Dinner attire is smart casual open-neck shirt, trousers, dresses; you may wear a jacket or blazer with a tie but it’s not required.

Now I know we speak the same language but divided by a ******** great big ocean but that difference is ridiculous. 

oh and the lady in the dress said she shoved it in her suitcase at the last minute as she had room and wore it at a few events as it saved her more casual gear and when she wore it, it was only for a short time. As I don’t wear dresses it seemed a good enough reason to me.

I have a knee-length black skirt that rolls up into nothing which I always throw into my suitcase, in the event of an “emergency” fancy occasion.

As Ralph Waldo Emerson once remarked— “The sense of being perfectly well-dressed gives a feeling of tranquility that religion is powerless to bestow.” 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2