PSA.. Medical Dept can be overwhelmed

Yehootu

Just returned from a 28day Hawaii/Samoa/Tahiti sailing. It was quite the trip. We had close to 9 medical evacuations, deaths( can't confirm ) early arrivals for medicals,a 180 turn back to Papeete to do a air evac, but it was determined too rough and instead did an unscheduled stop in Nuku Hiva to evac a passenger.

This was a long cruise and at 65, I felt young. Reading from our roll call post cruise it seems that there was a problem getting into the medical dept. Did see a few "covid" tables, but the big thing going around was the Bronchial Infection. Soooo many people hacking, it sounded like pier 39 at San Fran with the seals barking. The last 8 days were at sea and it was amazing to see the ship so empty out and about. Dining room, you could hear the hacking all over the place.

From what I've read, people were having a hard time getting into medical and some were just turned away. It was posted that they were only taking "life threatening" cases. They ran out of meds for the controlled sick people.

We didn't go to shows or crowded venues, but I suspect I got the infection in the coughing line to tender back to the ship in Moorea. Luckily I'm in good physical shape and health. My symptoms slowly crept up till I really accepted it on the last day of the cruise. I didn't start the hacking till Friday when we disembarked and then was masked up for my fellow passengers.

What my PSA is, make sure you take your own meds! We had Dayquil/Nightquil, Musinex, Airborne, and Cordecendan. And we had a good supply of masks!

I know the Dr is an independent contractor, but wonder who determines what and quantity of meds onboard. 

This cough is a B*tch, not fun at all. Hope for speedy recovery of all those infected on this cruise. I did my best not to pass it along, can't say that for a lot of the other seals.

Aloha

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Just returned from a 28day Hawaii/Samoa/Tahiti sailing. It was quite the trip. We had close to 9 medical evacuations, deaths( can't confirm ) early arrivals for medicals,a 180 turn back to Papeete to do a air evac, but it was determined too rough and instead did an unscheduled stop in Nuku Hiva to evac a passenger.

This was a long cruise and at 65, I felt young. Reading from our roll call post cruise it seems that there was a problem getting into the medical dept. Did see a few "covid" tables, but the big thing going around was the Bronchial Infection. Soooo many people hacking, it sounded like pier 39 at San Fran with the seals barking. The last 8 days were at sea and it was amazing to see the ship so empty out and about. Dining room, you could hear the hacking all over the place.

From what I've read, people were having a hard time getting into medical and some were just turned away. It was posted that they were only taking "life threatening" cases. They ran out of meds for the controlled sick people.

We didn't go to shows or crowded venues, but I suspect I got the infection in the coughing line to tender back to the ship in Moorea. Luckily I'm in good physical shape and health. My symptoms slowly crept up till I really accepted it on the last day of the cruise. I didn't start the hacking till Friday when we disembarked and then was masked up for my fellow passengers.

What my PSA is, make sure you take your own meds! We had Dayquil/Nightquil, Musinex, Airborne, and Cordecendan. And we had a good supply of masks!

I know the Dr is an independent contractor, but wonder who determines what and quantity of meds onboard. 

This cough is a B*tch, not fun at all. Hope for speedy recovery of all those infected on this cruise. I did my best not to pass it along, can't say that for a lot of the other seals.

Aloha

Sorry to hear about the health issues.  
We had a lot also, with one evac at sea. Coast Guard helicopter did a tricky evac at night. Crown in November, 28 night So Pac also.

I wonder how much of that was covid or because of covid?  We left one guest in Maui and one in Moorea at their hospitals.

Add cough drops to that list and soft tissues for the nose! 

Hope you are recovering well!

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

When you reach a certain age (it will be different for everyone),  think carefully about you cruise route and the possibility of a medical emergency.   It’s a bad situation to be put ashore and hospitalized  in some countries.   

I know from experience, getting medically debarked 1000 miles from home.  They didn’t take insurance.  Now, I limit cruising to North America and always have travel insurance ( but you will probably have to pay cash at the hospital and file for reimbursement ).   I have considered that 28 day So. Pacific, but passed on it.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

When you reach a certain age (it will be different for everyone),  think carefully about you cruise route and the possibility of a medical emergency.   It’s a bad situation to be put ashore and hospitalized  in some countries.   

I know from experience, getting medically debarked 1000 miles from home.  They didn’t take insurance.  Now, I limit cruising to North America and always have travel insurance ( but you will probably have to pay cash at the hospital and file for reimbursement ).   I have considered that 28 day So. Pacific, but passed on it.   

We also carry Medjet Assist insurance.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Yehootu said:

We also carry Medjet Assist insurance.

This.  Nothing else even comes close.   We upgraded to Horizon for the 50k cash advance facility, and DH has been informed that the day after his 85th birthday, we are not going anyplace where we wouldn’t be happy getting local medical care.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 5:36 AM, VibeGuy said:

This.  Nothing else even comes close.   We upgraded to Horizon for the 50k cash advance facility, and DH has been informed that the day after his 85th birthday, we are not going anyplace where we wouldn’t be happy getting local medical care.  

MedJet website now says it is a 60K cash advance...

I've been looking at this for some time now....may very well pull the trigger on it.

Totally agree, when you are a certain age, the meds you pack start to exceed your regular toiletries. My husband and I are packing right for a 7 day, and I have everything from Imodium to Tylenol to Ginger drops, etc. 😂😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary loves to travel said:

How do you compare MedJet with GeoBlue?

Well, I currently have GeoBlue Trekker...but medical evacuation (in my opinion) falls a bit short with Trekker.  I think it's probably OK as far as the extra medical coverage...especially since Medicare does not apply when outside the US.  This is something that each person just needs to weigh for themself, taking into account their own medical situation.

24 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, I currently have GeoBlue Trekker...but medical evacuation (in my opinion) falls a bit short with Trekker.  I think it's probably OK as far as the extra medical coverage...especially since Medicare does not apply when outside the US.  This is something that each person just needs to weigh for themself, taking into account their own medical situation.

We're in pretty much the same situation -- have GeoBlue Trekker now, wondering if also getting MedJet would be wise.

The difference between MJA/Global Rescue and the evac coverage in essentially all other policies is really simple:  who decides if the local care is sufficient, and where do you end up?

MJA and GR get you from where you are to where *you and your US physician* want you to be.  Not the “nearest suitable facility” as determined by the insurers read of the situation. 

I’m not a snob regarding local healthcare in some places cruise ships visit or we travel to for business or leisure.  In fact, I’ve got doctors in two different cruise ports for elective procedures because they’re technically very talented and the care is excellent.   If we had an incident in, say, Japan, I’d likely stay put until we could fly home commercial.  The reality is, not every place we go is like Japan or Germany or Australia.   When something bad happens, I want a ripcord that gets us to a place with high quality care, languages we speak (and not just the doctors - nurses and other caregivers), a working medical regulatory system and some professional accountability without needing to engage with an unfamiliar legal system.   The grey zone between where all of these conditions are met and what a travel insurer thinks is “good enough” is too broad for my comfort.

Yes, the hospital in Mazatlan is probably capable of adequately treating a femoral fracture. Can my husband communicate well with the caregivers?  No.  Are they well equipped to deal with the simultaneous brain bleed from the fall that broke the leg because said husband is on blood thinners?  I’m not qualified to judge.  If someone misses the brain bleed, do I practically have any recourse?  None. 

I see travel insurance / international benefits for medical as covering the steps from onboard to shoreside / emergency room.  I see MJA/GR as a completely different product that buys us another financially viable set of options about what to do next. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2