Staff with Chickenpox on Arvia

Technoman2

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It’s the crew we should really feel sorry for. They’re adult, more likely as a result to be more affected by the virus, and I somehow doubt the treatment, financial and otherwise, they’ll get from P&O.

Chicken Pox parties for adults are definitely not a thing.

Indeed. A miserable thing to get as an adult.

I’m not quite as cynical as you re treatment. It’s hardly worth losing a good employee for a little lack of TLC for what is normally a very short lived illness.

• Like 3

Our 2-year old daughter came out with chickenpox on day 6 of our 22-night Caribbean round-trip cruise to/from Southampton on Oriana back in 2006. I understand it's likely she picked it up just before we embarked, but we had no idea... She was quarantined for 7 days (and we were in an inside!) and she was finally released the morning of our last Caribbean port 😞 at least we made one port all together! It was a miracle that no other kids on the cruise caught it, it was quite a busy kids club, maybe they'd all had it previously...

It was explained to us that chickenpox was particularly dangerous for the crew, as it wasn't common in their home countries - maybe 20% of them had had it, and most of those would have caught it abroad as international students. So very important that we respected the quarantine (we would have done anyway of course).

P&O were great throughout, we were very well looked-after, much more than I would have expected at the time to be honest. Our cabin steward hadn't had chickenpox, so he had to swap with someone who had.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have just got home from a cruise to Norway on Britannia. 
A couple of days in we were informed that staff also had chickenpox. 
We were a bit suspicious and concerned it could be Covid. 
Staff were walking along corridors with backpacks spraying in the air and were wearing masks. 
They were constantly cleaning and having watched a show staff came in and started to spray again. 
Having driven home my wife felt unwell so she did a covid test which was positive. 
It may be a coincident but I am suspicious. 

IMG_1138.jpeg

31 minutes ago, richjohnpalmar said:

Staff were walking along corridors with backpacks spraying in the air and were wearing masks. 
They were constantly cleaning and having watched a show staff came in and started to spray again. 
Having driven home my wife felt unwell so she did a covid test which was positive. 

IMG_1138.jpeg

Sorry your wife has Covid, but really? Suspisious of what?  It’s a well known fact that Covid is widely circulating in the world.  Just as colds and other respiratory illnesses do.

Chicken Pox is an entirely different illness, the only similarity is, it is also airborne. 

• Like 4

Just now, richjohnpalmar said:

I am aware of the similarities. What I was suspicious of,was it actually Covid. As I said it could be a coincidence.   

Why would they do that? Both are concerning. No advantage in saying chickenpox rather than covid. Only a huge disadvantage if found to be lying.

• Like 2

I was an only child and didn't get chickenpox when I was young. I did catch it as an adult (from a patient with shingles) and was quite unwell, so I really feel sorry for the crew who are affected. It's a miserable illness, even for those who don't develop complications.

I have read that people, such as teachers, in regular contact with children tend to be less prone to shingles, this article seems to back that up   https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2020/adult-exposure-chickenpox-linked-lower-risk-shingles-does-not-provide-full

As an aside, the oldest (not immunocompromised) person I have seen with chickenpox was in her 80s!

1 hour ago, richjohnpalmar said:

IMG_1138.jpeg

It’s now a reasonably likely outcome of a cruise, because of all the mingling inside, and perhaps immediately afterwards on disembarkation. No big deal for most people perhaps, apart from the possibility of longer term issues, but certain groups of people are best advised to stay well clear.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:41 AM, Dermotsgirl said:

Interesting, when my dad had shingles ( this is about 35 years ago) I didn’t realise that I could have caught chicken pox from him. Fortunately I didn’t. 

You must have some sort of immunity from it!

When our children had chickenpox my husband couldn’t remember if he’d had it but as he didn’t catch it from them we decided he must have had .

I was 11 when I had and it was nasty then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

It’s now a reasonably likely outcome of a cruise, because of all the mingling inside, and perhaps immediately afterwards on disembarkation. No big deal for most people perhaps, apart from the possibility of longer term issues, but certain groups of people are best advised to stay well clear.

Long term issues are a problem as my wife is finding out.

• 2 months later...

Just had an email from P&O - we are sailing on Britannia this Friday - isolated cases of Chicken pox onboard.  Whilst I am not concerned about catching it, we have all had it in our family group, but wondering if there are any Ports that we will not be allowed in to - I remember my son contracting it day 1 on our Majorca holiday (so actually flew out of the UK whilst highly contagious - pre blisters) we were kept in quarantine in our accommodation... any thoughts?