Boston

tinykygal

We visited Boston 16 years ago as a cruise stop.  We were much younger and our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson in a stroller walked to everything we were interested in.  2 frugal couples and a child less than 1 year.

A few years ago we took a bus tour and again walked to all the highlights.

Today, however, my DH said it was too far to walk to the highlights and especially my favorite Little Italy.

I see no need to purchase transportation.  What are your recommendations from your recent trips to Boston?

Since Italy is on my bucket list and probably won't be able to reach that goal, Little Italy and an awesome cannoli are a must!

How about China Town?

I have been to Paul R cemetery and the church 2X  Not interested this trip.

Thank you.

Boston doesn't have a "Little Italy". It's called the North End. And yes, there will be people who will correct you if you ask about Little Italy.

If you just want to head there, grab an Uber. In terms of Chinatown, unless you are going for dimsum, there really isn't anything to do there.

1 hour ago, tinykygal said:

What are your recommendations from your recent trips to Boston?

Since Italy is on my bucket list and probably won't be able to reach that goal, Little Italy and an awesome cannoli are a must!

How about China Town

Agree with what 1025cruise said. If you want good cannoli the usual suspects, Mikes Pastry and Modern Pastry there for you (and will have lines). My personal favorite from my time living in Boston is Maria's Pastry which gets sometimes overlooked since it isn't on Hanover Street but I think is of a higher quality than Mikes or Modern. 

Also agree that Uber/Lyft are the best bet for quick, easy ride from the pier into town. From the North End you can walk pretty much anywhere of historic value in Boston. 

Chinatown isn't one of the country's best-- was a bit of a war zone when I lived there a number of years ago but my guess is its a bit better now. But not atmospheric-- only worth going if you plan on eating there. 

4 hours ago, tinykygal said:

We visited Boston 16 years ago as a cruise stop.  We were much younger and our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson in a stroller walked to everything we were interested in.  2 frugal couples and a child less than 1 year.

Today, however, my DH said it was too far to walk to the highlights and especially my favorite Little Italy.

I see no need to purchase transportation.  What are your recommendations from your recent trips to Boston?

How about China Town?

Thank you.

Boston is one of our NE/CAN ports we have in all our sailings. Sadly we have exhausted the City from the first time we visited. Sometimes we get off and some we stay on and enjoy the ship with most of the passengers off.

On this coming voyage, we are not sure of we will come off. But we too have always heard about the North Side Italian portion of the city. Heard many, many restaurants and bakeries.

We agree that the high lights attractions a quite a distance away. MyDW love to see the Public Gardens especially in the Summer.

Enjoy the bucket list but I must disagree and think we in Brooklyn, NY has the better Cannolis. 

17 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Boston is one of our NE/CAN ports we have in all our sailings. Sadly we have exhausted the City from the first time we visited. Sometimes we get off and some we stay on and enjoy the ship with most of the passengers off.

On this coming voyage, we are not sure of we will come off. But we too have always heard about the North Side Italian portion of the city. Heard many, many restaurants and bakeries.

We agree that the high lights attractions a quite a distance away. MyDW love to see the Public Gardens especially in the Summer.

Enjoy the bucket list but I must disagree and think we in Brooklyn, NY has the better Cannolis. 

19 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Agree with what 1025cruise said. If you want good cannoli the usual suspects, Mikes Pastry and Modern Pastry there for you (and will have lines). My personal favorite from my time living in Boston is Maria's Pastry which gets sometimes overlooked since it isn't on Hanover Street but I think is of a higher quality than Mikes or Modern. 

Also agree that Uber/Lyft are the best bet for quick, easy ride from the pier into town. From the North End you can walk pretty much anywhere of historic value in Boston. 

Chinatown isn't one of the country's best-- was a bit of a war zone when I lived there a number of years ago but my guess is its a bit better now. But not atmospheric-- only worth going if you plan on eating there. 

For Uber when you get off the ship you will be facing a large white building (Boston Design Center). Walk around the building. You will be on Drydock Ave. Look for large signs with 23 or 25 (these are the street numbers for the entrances into the Boston Design Center). Call for your Uber at either location. The road is still 2-way so the driver can make a U-turn and avoid the melee at the terminal.

Uber can take you to the North End (Italian district) or the Public Garden (downtown).

In the Public Garden you can ride the Swan Boats or just walk around and look at the flowers. If you venture to Boston Common (across Arlington St. from the Public Garden) you can visit The Embrace our newest sculpture and in honor of Dr. and Mrs. King. 

To get back to the ship from the Common if you don't want to Uber/taxi you can take the Red Line from Park St Station to South Station. At South Station transfer to the SilverLine (a bus SL2 sign on bus will say DryDock Ave) to DryDock Ave. 

22 hours ago, tinykygal said:

How about China Town?

Thank you.

Tinykygal,

Forgot to mention but a distance, the Kennedy Museum was wonderful if you were brought up and remembered the president. 

The JFK Museum and Library is well worth a visit. It is in the Dorchester section of the city of Boston. By Uber it will take 20 to 30 minutes to get there. The museum is on Dorchester Bay and has a spectacular view of the Harbor. It’s not that far. It’s just outside of the city of Boston core. 
If you want to stay downtown then visit the Public Library to see the Sargent murals and a snack in the library cafe. 
The Mary Baker Eddy Museum and Mapparium ( you walk thru the world) is fun. 
finally I like to take the Red Line from South Station to Harvard where you go over the Charles River. On a sunny day it’s a beautiful (though quick) view of the city and Cambridge. 

Edited by Traveling Library

14 hours ago, tinykygal said:

Thank you!

On our Cunard Shore Excursions we also have the John Adams House which is a distance.

Unfortunately is was disappointing to us on our visit since the property is very old and disappointing to navigate thru the house due to it's age. It is property of the National Parks and is a walk thru not guided.

There is also public transportation near the port that can get you to the North End

Boston's Chinatown hasn't been a "war zone" in at least 25 years.  I've been there multiple times a year back to the Mid 1990s

Maybe a Fenway Park tour would be of interest?

On 5/2/2023 at 7:47 AM, Nitemare said:

There is also public transportation near the port that can get you to the North End

Boston's Chinatown hasn't been a "war zone" in at least 25 years.  I've been there multiple times a year back to the Mid 1990s

Maybe a Fenway Park tour would be of interest?

That's good to know as we're staying in Stuart St pre-cruise and one of the reasons I picked the hostels because were the multiple reviews saying the area felt safe!