RCL Ship Classes

I know I can do extensive research on my own concerning this, but I also know the members of this forum have a lot of first hand knowledge that can get me my answers faster!   

We've sailed with RCL a total of six times, sailing from Baltimore, Tampa, Miami, San Juan, and from Barcelona on a transatlantic.  We have only sailed on Vision and Radiance class ships. We especially love the Radiance class - one of our favorite things is eating breakfast at the outside area of the Windjammer on the rear of the ship. We also love the teak Promenade deck 5 (on both Vision and Radiance classes) where you can walk the entire way around the ship while still being under "cover". 

Looking at Europe again for next summer (maybe only if we become independently wealthy somehow because prices are RIDICULOUS).  I know that after the Radiance class comes the Voyager class, and with this class began the Royal Promenade.  My question is, are there still places on the other classes of ships that are comparable to the things we love about the Radiance class, or (except for the actual pool deck) is everything more enclosed??

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, cinnam0n said:

one of our favorite things is eating breakfast at the outside area of the Windjammer on the rear of the ship. We also love the teak Promenade deck 5 (on both Vision and Radiance classes) where you can walk the entire way around the ship while still being under "cover". 

A lot of ships have a similar area you can walk on under cover, although sometimes it is blocked off so you do a complete circuit.  The outdoor dining in the Windjammer is unique to these classes.  We like that too.  There are other options, dining on the balcony for example, but they're not as convenient as the outdoor dining in the Windjammer.

Similar to Radiance Class, Quantum Class has a really nice outdoor eating area to the Windjammer at the rear of the ship.

The outdoor promenade is cut off at the front, though, so you can't walk the full circle without cutting through the ship.  

1) Voyager, Explorer, Navigator, Mariner, Adventure 

Freedom, Liberty, Independence have full-size outside promenade (but not teak)

2) Quantum, Anthem, Ovation, Odyssey, Spectrum have outside seating behind buffet.

in terms of Solariums … First group has no roof solariums 

Second has most beautiful and unique among any cruise ship indoor Solariums. We live there 🙂 

Unfortunately Ovation and Oasis (Allure, Symptoms, Harmony, Wonder) classes don’t have Viking Crown Lounges. 

47 minutes ago, Tatka said:

2) Quantum, Anthem, Ovation, Odyssey, Spectrum have outside seating behind buffet.

Are you sure the Odyssey has outside seating? I could be mistaken, but I don't remember seeing it. As I recall, that's one of the ways that the "Quantum plus" design differs from the originals. 

1 hour ago, cinnam0n said:

My question is, are there still places on the other classes of ships that are comparable to the things we love about the Radiance class, or (except for the actual pool deck) is everything more enclosed??

On RCI not really, but you'll feel at home on Celebrity M class.

37 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Are you sure the Odyssey has outside seating? I could be mistaken, but I don't remember seeing it. As I recall, that's one of the ways that the "Quantum plus" design differs from the originals. 

You are right. Odyssey and Spectrum probably don’t have it. We’ll find out next year 🙂 

For me it’s unfortunately not the worst change for this class…

Edited by Tatka

On 4/29/2023 at 6:33 PM, Tatka said:

You are right. Odyssey and Spectrum probably don’t have it. We’ll find out next year 🙂 

For me it’s unfortunately not the worst change for this class…

As a Q Ultra I really felt the loss of the outdoor dining, the loss of the 2nd covered pool area, probably the 2nd biggest impact i noticed.  Nothing wrong with the Lime and Coconut but less covered area for cold weather cruising.  

3 hours ago, CanadaRob said:

As a Q Ultra I really felt the loss of the outdoor dining, the loss of the 2nd covered pool area, probably the 2nd biggest impact i noticed.  Nothing wrong with the Lime and Coconut but less covered area for cold weather cruising.  

We sail year around from New Jersey. Odyssey is coming in 2024 in place of Anthem. Thankfully we don’t have younger kids anymore, but absence of that covered pool will be felt … I envision kids trying to get into solarium pools and colder solarium