What happened to my Coffee?

latebloomer56

I sailed Joy in March and Getaway in January. The French Press was delicious! It's strong and thick. Just the way I like it. It certainly wakes one up! Mmmmmm, I wish I could be back on the sea, sipping coffee, looking out at the endless horizon from the dining room.

3 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Always love mine as well but on the Pearl it was awful. Thick is one thing but couldn't get past the grit. Thought new folks did something wrong but nope.

Grit is interesting. I don't want that either! Was it every day? Did you try it just one day? Maybe the French Press wasn't straining properly? Weird! 

Just now, cruiseny4life said:

Grit is interesting. I don't want that either! Was it every day? Did you try it just one day? Maybe the French Press wasn't straining properly? Weird! 

We tried it on the first, third, and fifth morning sent it back each time. Was a little PO'd on the fifth day because the cup he brought me left a thick film on the inside and skirt on the bottom. Think he added hot water to a cup from the pot I returned. Needed extra cream and sugar to drink the half a cup I could stomach. Asked for tea but left it he used 1 teabag to a full pot of hot water.

Will take packets of coffee next time on NCL just in case.

On 4/30/2023 at 11:06 AM, Beamco said:

However one big issue was how bad the coffee is now. I used to love the French Press in the Haven but it was almost undrinkable every day. At home I drink my coffee black with stevia as my sweetener so the coffee needs to be good. I switch between grinding various beans at Fresh Market and ordering a few varieties from Black Rifle Coffee. I find Starbucks to be undrinkable however it is made and I think that is what they use in the French Press in the Haven now. The only reason I wanted to get off the ship was to get a good cup of coffee!

You are absolutely right. Haven French press was delicious when they used Illy brand coffee. They are now using a Starbucks blend and it is just terrible! You can make it a little better by telling your butler to use one less scoop of coffee which will make it tolerable, but it won't make it good. I've resorted to bringing my own Illy coffee and I just ask for an empty French press and a carafe of boiling water. 

Starbucks=🤮

• Like 3

On 4/30/2023 at 12:51 PM, latebloomer56 said:

Just off the Pearl on Friday. What have they done to my coffee? I enjoy a pleasant hot coffee but every place I went the coffee was bitter or just had NO coffee taste.

I started sailing NCL back in 2008 and have always found the coffee to be bitter and needing large quantities of sweetener and extra water to get it to a drinkable but not enjoyable state. Since 2010 I have been bringing my own preferred coffee granules and just adding  hot water. I also bring my own tea bags as I love a cup of Yorkshire Tea.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, I’ve been cruising for years and I’ve found a good cup of coffee to be rare! Our last NCL we had a Lavazza in the cabin and that was at least drinkable. My daughter mixes a packet of hot chocolate into the coffee to make it drinkable. I, too, will resort to tea…sad, really…😉😆

The coffee served all around the NCL ships are consistently vile but I drink it nonetheless strictly for fuel. I am also not a fan of Starbucks on land or at sea.

The notable exceptions to me are:

1. Coffee machine in the solo lounge;

2. Nepresso machine in Haven rooms; and

3. La Cucina on the Epic when open to accommodate the overflow from the breakfast/lunch buffet.