Joy - Injured on Shore Excursion

TACoor

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL does not have to do anything.

What you suggest is like McD putting a warning on their coffee cup that coffee is hot. You want every ShoreEx ticket to come with 20 pages of warnings about what happens in nature? rocks on road? Branches in trees that scratch? Bugs that bite? Look both ways before crossing the street? Don’t forget to tip?

In the working world outside of travel blogging there is a saying —Safety First

My point was that if NCL isn’t aware of safety incidents, they can’t do anything about them. Maybe nothing needs to be done, but at least with information the risk can be properly assessed. We don’t know if OP is the only person who has been injured at this beach and it’s just a fluke, or if someone gets hurt regularly. 

It’s not my job or anyone on CCs job to decide what, if any, actions should be taken, but I’m pretty sure NCL has people who look at these things and would want to know when passengers are hurt. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

Lol, yeah, our beaches are more like rocks bordering water with some sand sprinkled in between 😂

Nothing like the nice smooth rocks left by a glacial moraine....

The LI Sound beaches made a nice change were we wanted something different from the Great South Bay or Atlantic Ocean.

• Like 1

Thank you OP for the advice on getting witnesses names and keeping your ticket.  It's good advice for any incident.

Sorry you had to endure the injury on your cruise. 

Sounds familiar though...

The first time we visited Bermuda we went to Snorkel Park Beach, which is pretty close to the ships at King's Wharf.  What could go wrong?  Not wearing water shoes that year, we've since renamed it "Razor Beach" for the injuries we sustained....and learned from.  Now we never cruise without water shoes and a pack of Band-Aids just in case!

• Like 2

First of all....I took the OP's post as a "if you get hurt on an excursion...do this" not as a "please act like my mom and tell me to wear shoes after I stubbed my toe"   

On a NCL cruise with my mother years ago, she got hurt on an excursion.  Medical care was provided free of charge.  Ship security staff did come to the medical center to have us fill out some paper work.  Like OP, they asked for the names of witnesses other than our sailing party...so gather names as OP suggested.  They also subjected us to a pretty extensive inquisition. 

My mom's incident was also a fall...and they asked how much she had had to drink, if she was wearing her glasses, if she uses a walking aid did she have her walking aid, etc.   The questions had a very "lawyer trying to protect us from liability" feeling.  Like if we ever were to sue, they would come back at us and say "but you admitted you were wearing espadrilles instead of hiking boots on the city tour."   

We had no intention of suing anyone...but they asked me enough questions that I was starting to think I shouldn't answer them without a lawyer present.

So thank you OP for your helpful notes on what to be prepared for if you are hurt on a ship's excursion.   

• Like 5

I'm guessing that this is the excursion:

Willemstad, Curaçao SNORKEL AND BEACH BREAK Excursion | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

In fairness to NCL, it is listed as activity level 3 (which is two levels higher than anything old me and DW will sign up for).

The terms indicate "Tours with this activity level involve physical exertion for extended periods of time; can involve uneven or steep terrain or swimming in a light current. Recommended only for physically fit and adventurous travelers."

While it doesn't specifically mention rocky beaches, it does suggest more than a walk in a park.

This is the one I mentioned:

Philipsburg, St. Maarten Maho Beach Transfer Excursion | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

It is advertised as level 1: "Tours with this activity level involve walking over relatively level terrain, possibly some cobblestone, gravel, or a few steps. Comfortable shoes are recommended."

What I had to walk over to get on and around the beach was much more dangerous than "some cobblestone, gravel or a few steps."  They do specifically warn about nudity and jet blast, although I think those large hidden rocks have likely done much more damage to tourists. 😀 While we have taken several Caribbean cruises, this is the first one where we took an excursion that visited a beach.  I just wore my old flip flops and took them off to walk on the "sand."  Did I injure myself?  No, but I could have and wish I had read this tread prior to my trip (thanks OP).😎  If this thread and the OPs report to NCL prevents one injured tourist, then it is worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi OP. Sorry you got hurt. Thanks for the heads up on some considerations about what to do if hurt on any excursion, not just beach ones. It's nice when people come on here and share their pain stories so the rest of us have different outcomes. I totally get you were not trying to smear anyone or demand anything from NCL, just sharing some stuff to keep in mind. I'm sorry there are so many jackdonkeys that have to mansplain the obvious as if you couldn't have figured out wearing shoes was a good idea on your own. There's always going to be the psuedosuperior who of course have never made an error in their lives, and live to demean others. Ignore them and those of us who are here to learn new things thank you. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

Hi OP. Sorry you got hurt. Thanks for the heads up on some considerations about what to do if hurt on any excursion, not just beach ones. It's nice when people come on here and share their pain stories so the rest of us have different outcomes. I totally get you were not trying to smear anyone or demand anything from NCL, just sharing some stuff to keep in mind. I'm sorry there are so many jackdonkeys that have to mansplain the obvious as if you couldn't have figured out wearing shoes was a good idea on your own. There's always going to be the psuedosuperior who of course have never made an error in their lives, and live to demean others. Ignore them and those of us who are here to learn new things thank you. 

Thank you! I'd also like to agree with the previous poster who suggested that beach excursion tickets could come with a recommendation to wear water shoes. Not a bad idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TACoor said:

Thank you! I'd also like to agree with the previous poster who suggested that beach excursion tickets could come with a recommendation to wear water shoes. Not a bad idea.

The problem is that you get the tickets once on board and if you didn't know about this you likely wouldn't have any packed.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:33 PM, BirdTravels said:

NCL does not have to do anything.

What you suggest is like McD putting a warning on their coffee cup that coffee is hot. You want every ShoreEx ticket to come with 20 pages of warnings about what happens in nature? rocks on road? Branches in trees that scratch? Bugs that bite? Look both ways before crossing the street? Don’t forget to tip?

Quite sadly this exactly the way of the world. Consent forms for elementary / secondary school field trips involve a dozen or so of these “clauses” including - “may have to use stairs”, and “trips and falls are possible”.

On 5/3/2023 at 9:59 PM, Dorhead1230 said:

Lol, yeah, our beaches are more like rocks bordering water with some sand sprinkled in between 😂

That’s why I drive the 45 min. to the south shore beaches. And sometimes there are small rocks at the ocean beaches also.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 6:45 AM, TACoor said:

. . . . .  Relatively minor injuries, but due to unsafe conditions.  . . . . There shouldn't be a well-used path with unseen hazards. I was going to let it go, but my husband was determined to address the hazard to protect future visitors.  . . . . . We only reported it in hopes that the hazard might be addressed, not expecting anything as a result. 

I've highlighted the sentences of your post that emphasize the "hazard."  Due to unsafe conditions?  What was that? 

What suggestion did you make to "address the hazard?"  Remove all naturally occurring rocks on the ocean floor?  Erect billboards warning "future visitors" that there may be rocks on the ocean floor?  

Much ado, maybe expecting "something."  

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2023 at 9:55 AM, TACoor said:

Could be added to the already obvious recommendations of a swimwear and sun screen.

Might as well add use the toilet before getting dressed....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/5/2023 at 10:43 PM, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

I know you're lumping me in with the jackdonkeys. I'm just here to say that I'm now adding jackdonkey to my vocabulary. Thank you for this!

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I know you're lumping me in with the jackdonkeys. I'm just here to say that I'm now adding jackdonkey to my vocabulary. Thank you for this!

Saw no jackdonkery from you in this thread. But even if I had you'd get a pass because: 1.) I like your reviews - lots of good information and photos; and 2.) Goldens!

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2023 at 12:26 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

The problem is that you get the tickets once on board and if you didn't know about this you likely wouldn't have any packed.

They can put it on the online description of the tour so you know about it before you buy the ticket.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 2:29 PM, FitchburgWIFamily said:

I took the OP's post as a "if you get hurt on an excursion...do this"

me too. I definitely read it as: here is what you need to produce in terms of supporting evidence if you get hurt on an NCL excursion.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 9:45 AM, TACoor said:

Relatively minor injuries, but due to unsafe conditions. Another Joy passenger helped me up and made sure I was okay. There shouldn't be a well-used path with unseen hazards. I was going to let it go, but my husband was determined to address the hazard to protect future visitors...We only reported it in hopes that the hazard might be addressed, not expecting anything as a result. 

5 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

Thank you to the OP for what to do if you should get hurt on an excursion.  I didn't see the reason to read more into the OP's post but apparently others did.  

I think this is the section that turned people off. Saying that rocks on a beach are a hazard that needs to be addressed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Saying that rocks on a beach are a hazard that needs to be addressed. 

I believe that some (myself included) intended that to be "a hazard that needs to be communicated."  When an excursion is marketed as activity level 1, it shouldn't include such "hazards."  There are many fine people on cruises that are physically impaired/out of shape/old/etc.  Level 1 should be compatible with this crowd.  Beaches with unexpected rocks that increase the chances of falls/injuries/etc. should be communicated accordingly.  I really don't understand why so many are beating up the OP over this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I believe that some (myself included) intended that to be "a hazard that needs to be communicated."  When an excursion is marketed as activity level 1, it shouldn't include such "hazards."  There are many fine people on cruises that are physically impaired/out of shape/old/etc.  Level 1 should be compatible with this crowd.  Beaches with unexpected rocks that increase the chances of falls/injuries/etc. should be communicated accordingly.  I really don't understand why so many are beating up the OP over this.

I hope you are joking. You have to be incredibly sheltered to consider a rock on a beach as a hazard. Someone like this should just take the bus tour around town - but not get out because there may tripping hazards like cracked asphalt or slippery leaves on the ground. 

• Thanks 1