Watching Eagles in the wild

oceanbums

I'll be in Alaska in May of 24 and would love to see eagles in the wild, in there natural habitat. Is there a specific excursion or port I should plan on doing this? or is Alaska in general there natural habitat? It's been on my bucket list for a long time and don't want to waste this opportunity. Thanks! oh, the ports are: ISP, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, and Ketchikan.

Their natural habitat is Southeast Alaska.  They're everywhere.  That said, if you want to see them up close to take photos, it's best to take a small boat tour that looks for wild life.  

Yeah, I think you'll find that they're not going to be very hard to find.  They're very abundant in Alaska.  You'll probably see a lot of them in harbor areas, and I know in Juneau, if you look in the trees on the hills along where the ships are docked, you'll probably see them there.    Basically, anywhere that fish might be available in the nearby area, you'll probably find them.

You will see Eagles in the port cities... they are quite abundant.

While on our balcony on the moving ship, I tried to spot them as we passed land by looking for white spots in the trees.   Of course you are much further away then seeing them in the port towns, but was something fun to do and I have a nice pair of binoculars that helped.   

14 hours ago, CCJack said:

You will see Eagles in the port cities... they are quite abundant.

While on our balcony on the moving ship, I tried to spot them as we passed land by looking for white spots in the trees.   Of course you are much further away then seeing them in the port towns, but was something fun to do and I have a nice pair of binoculars that helped.   

Thanks for the tip, Ill remember to take my binoculars.

1 hour ago, Kathscof said:

in ISP we stopped counting how many we were seeing.....we were on a kayak tour, so near enough to the shore, but there were a lot....

Thanks, looks like there wont be a problem finding them!

• Like 1

It is sorta wild but flying close. The Ketch crab boat tour is permitted to feed them in tribal waters so they come very close to the boat to get fish parts out of the water. Search for tour info on youtube (not the ad ones but ones by individual). You will never see eagles like this anywhere. sightcrr. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SightCRR said:

It is sorta wild but flying close. The Ketch crab boat tour is permitted to feed them in tribal waters so they come very close to the boat to get fish parts out of the water. Search for tour info on youtube (not the ad ones but ones by individual). You will never see eagles like this anywhere. sightcrr. 

Thank you, I was looking at that tour.

I've taken that tour on the Aleutian Ballad, and it was great.  It's a little cheesy in that the traps they pull are pre-loaded, but it's still interesting, nonetheless.  And yes, there is a spot where they draw in tons of eagles by feeding them.  

• Like 1

I saw them every stop in Alaska. But for an eagle watching tour, this one in Ketchikan was pretty good.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/ketchikan-lighthouse-totems-eagles/

I booked it through a cruise line but this is the company. Their dock is actually right next to the NCL port. Which was about a 20 min shuttle from the main port.

https://lighthouseexcursion.com/

0F597A72-BF0C-4141-AC29-E18990BD6FEA.thu

Edited by Saint Greg

Hi guys, seein the eagles in the wild on this tour, would you consider this tour a cruise hilite, or tour hilite, also when your are watchin the eagles, do you use camera, what scene, like the sports scene, or do the video? Will be on the Crown, dockin at pier 3, in the middle of Sept, from 7 to 5 p.m. this tour ends at 1, now have seen videos on youtube everbody wanderin around the usual tourist areas in Ketchikan, an think we'll do that. Plannin to have lunch at the Burger Queen, then go off an wander past the eagle statue, over to the docks wander around, get a map, then wander into or by the stores to look, then off to creek st, & etc. Go up the funicular & wander about the hotel, an then mosey about towards down creek st, an be back on the ship by 4:30. Is all that possible to do, any suggestions? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi guys, seein the eagles in the wild on this tour, would you consider this tour a cruise hilite, or tour hilite, also when your are watchin the eagles, do you use camera, what scene, like the sports scene, or do the video? Will be on the Crown, dockin at pier 3, in the middle of Sept, from 7 to 5 p.m. this tour ends at 1, now have seen videos on youtube everbody wanderin around the usual tourist areas in Ketchikan, an think we'll do that. Plannin to have lunch at the Burger Queen, then go off an wander past the eagle statue, over to the docks wander around, get a map, then wander into or by the stores to look, then off to creek st, & etc. Go up the funicular & wander about the hotel, an then mosey about towards down creek st, an be back on the ship by 4:30. Is all that possible to do, any suggestions? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.

Forgot to ask, do you see any waterfalls, need binoculars? Know they have a gift shop & snack bar on board.

10 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Forgot to ask, do you see any waterfalls, need binoculars? Know they have a gift shop & snack bar on board.

You always need binoculars in Alaska! Don't leave home without them.

• Like 1

For a mid Sept tour to Ketch read up on sightseeing at Herring Cove little ways out of Ketch to see the black bears feeding on salmon. Mid Sept is what makes this worth looking into. Very few places in Ak where you can see bears without a fly in. sightcrr. 

The first time I saw an eagle fly by the ship in the morning at our first port of call, Ketchikan, I was just amazed.  Couldn't believe it at first.  Grabbed the binos and a camera and took like 30 photos.

By the end of the trip you almost become jaded:  "Oh, there's another bald eagle..."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

The first time I saw an eagle fly by the ship in the morning at our first port of call, Ketchikan, I was just amazed.  Couldn't believe it at first.  Grabbed the binos and a camera and took like 30 photos.

By the end of the trip you almost become jaded:  "Oh, there's another bald eagle..."

In Ketchikan the guides ask if you are northbound or southbound so they know if they should point out eagles 🤣🤣

Edited by wolfie11
  • Haha 2