drink package info and on board credit info

spearmint

I don't drink much more than a few beers on a trip, but do get an average-priced bottle of wine nightly at dinner (paying a fortune for premium wines is waste with me, as I am in no way a connosseur (sp)  Is it worth my while to get a wine package? I have always assumed that it would not be.

As for my onboard credit,

(a) if I don't use it for something specific, will it simply be applied to the bill at the end of the cruise and if not,

(b) and it must be used for something specific, do I have to request that it be for that specificity at the time I order/use it, for example, the above-mentioned dinner wines?

Thanks,

Bill

9 minutes ago, spearmint said:

I don't drink much more than a few beers on a trip, but do get an average-priced bottle of wine nightly at dinner (paying a fortune for premium wines is waste with me, as I am in no way a connosseur (sp)  Is it worth my while to get a wine package? I have always assumed that it would not be.

(a) if I don't use it for something specific, will it simply be applied to the bill at the end of the cruise and if not,

(b) and it must be used for something specific, do I have to request that it be for that specificity at the time I order/use it, for example, the above-mentioned dinner wines?

Thanks,

Bill

Whether the drink package would be worth it to you or not is a very personal think.  Ask yourself how many drinks, e.g. glasses of wine you would reasonably consume in a day.  Multiple that by the average price of a glass of wine.  Do the same for bottle water, sodas, and specialty coffee’s.  Use that to determine an average daily expenditure and compare that with the price of a drink package. 

When making Pre-cruise purchases when it comes to payment there will be a place to specify how much OBC to be used toward the purchase.  

Once onboard, all charges to your account will go against your OBC first, using non-refundable then refundable, and if your purchases exceed your OBC they will the go against you credit card on file or your cash account. 

If your OBC is non-refundable then it must be spent onboard or pre-cruise or it goes away.  This is usually the case with the OBC you receive from Celebrity. 

If your OBC is from a travel agent then anything you do not spend will be refunded to your credit card on file for the cruise. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, spearmint said:

Thanks,

Bill

I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by wine package?  If you're talking about the classic or premium beverage package and you're planning to just buy bottles at dinner, I wouldn't bother with the package as it only provides a 15% discount on purchased bottles.  There's also a wine bottle discount offered to captains club members (10% for classic, 15% for select, and 20% for elite and above).

Onboard credit doesn't really go towards specific items purchased.  It's merely a credit on your onboard account that is used to deduct from all your purchases at the end of your cruise.  Say you have $200 in onboard purchases and $150 in onboard credit, then your credit card on file will be charged $50 at the end of your cruise.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

There's also a wine bottle discount offered to captains club members (10% for classic, 15% for select, and 20% for elite and above).

Just to be clear, I believe the loyalty discount is good for a single wine bottle, correct?

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

You can also bring 2 bottle pp at embarkation. 
They used to sell 3,5 or 7 bottle packages onboard, not sure if they still do that.
If you only drink 3-5 glasses of wine and only at dinner, purchasing the bev package may not be the best option for you, unless you are interested in the bottled water, coffee, soda, etc.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Just to be clear, I believe the loyalty discount is good for a single wine bottle, correct?

Good question.  I would assume that it could apply towards multiple bottles, but I haven't tested that yet.  The terms & conditions page don't spell out details of this benefit like the others.

17 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Good question.  I would assume that it could apply towards multiple bottles, but I haven't tested that yet.  The terms & conditions page don't spell out details of this benefit like the others.

I am fairly certain it is for one single bottle (but I don't mind being wrong). 

Back in the day, when the Captains Club benefits were handed out as a sheet of coupons, there was a single coupon for a wine bottle discount that you had to surrender when you used it: Captains Club Elite Member Coupon (12 night sailing or more)

The above link is a scan of the front and back of the sheet (including the fine print).  Here is a screenshot of the coupon front:

image.png.4c6dab2f39e6db3963bb397d9e675a10.png

When you look at the language in the current Captains Club brochure, it simply says "Discount on any bottle of wine".  The $40 minimum is gone (maybe because they are all priced above $40!! just kidding) so it is different now at least in that respect.  Because of the coupon days, I read that as one single bottle, but I would be happy to be wrong about that.

I would also think that if you could buy multiple wine bottles at 20% off thru the loyalty discount, it would make the wine packages less attractive.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

Ah.  All your comments have made things much clearer for me.  On the Celebrity site, I could only find the one package and the premium version.  I am way back in time...again.... there used to be liquor packages and wine packages, separate from each other.  Now I know why I could not find a distinct wine package.  I don't need the full package that they have now... don't have liquor drinks except liqueurs, might have one of the special pails of 5 beers (if such a thing still exists), don't have specialty coffees, bottled water etc. and at about a package at $120 Canadian per day, I should be OK, as it is now only I who I have to worry about. I won't even be surprised if bottles are $40 US not,kidding, (and more), as 10 days would be $500 to $600 CAN vs $1200.

But, you bring up another point,that I forgot about.  When you bring on board 2 bottles of wine, may you bring it to the dining room and is there a corkage fee? I ask this because even though I am on my own, I am traveling with two lady friends and they each could bring bottles and we will all be together for dinner, even though only two of us will imbibe,probably.  So that is another point; if a bottle of brought-onboard wine is not finished, will they still keep it in stock for you to be retrieved later, as they do if you purchase on board?

As for the OBC, it all comes back to me with your responses, as I have had OBC's before.  As I said here one time, I have 18 cruises with Celebrity but at least 10 years ago and  I feel like a total newbie trying to get back in the groove. I am also remembering how helpful unseen and unknown friends on this site, like you here and now,  have always provided the best help and information.

Thanks

Bill

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, spearmint said:

Ah.  All your comments have made things much clearer for me.  On the Celebrity site, I could only find the one package and the premium version.  I am way back in time...again.... there used to be liquor packages and wine packages, separate from each other.  Now I know why I could not find a distinct wine package.  I don't need the full package that they have now... don't have liquor drinks except liqueurs, might have one of the special pails of 5 beers (if such a thing still exists), don't have specialty coffees, bottled water etc. and at about a package at $120 Canadian per day, I should be OK, as it is now only I who I have to worry about. I won't even be surprised if bottles are $40 US not,kidding, (and more), as 10 days would be $500 to $600 CAN vs $1200.

But, you bring up another point,that I forgot about.  When you bring on board 2 bottles of wine, may you bring it to the dining room and is there a corkage fee? I ask this because even though I am on my own, I am traveling with two lady friends and they each could bring bottles and we will all be together for dinner, even though only two of us will imbibe,probably.  So that is another point; if a bottle of brought-onboard wine is not finished, will they still keep it in stock for you to be retrieved later, as they do if you purchase on board?

As for the OBC, it all comes back to me with your responses, as I have had OBC's before.  As I said here one time, I have 18 cruises with Celebrity but at least 10 years ago and  I feel like a total newbie trying to get back in the groove. I am also remembering how helpful unseen and unknown friends on this site, like you here and now,  have always provided the best help and information.

Thanks

Bill

There is a corkage fee in the dining room.  It is waived if you have an alcohol drink package.

I hope you like the Celebrity cruise line that you will find today (versus 10 years ago).

I'm not clear on what happens if I have the classic drink package and order a drink from the premium list. Do I pay the difference between classic and premium price or do I pay the full premium price. I thought it was the former but have seen a couple of postings where it's allegedly the latter.

FYI, I ordered a Bailey's on the rocks on our last cruise and the bartender said it wasn't on the classic package. I said, fine, whatever, do what's appropriate on the charge. He said, "nah, forget it." Nice, and that was before a put a tip on the bar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spearmint said:

Thanks,

Bill

Each adult in the cabin is allowed 2 bottles of wine at embarkation, take advantage of this for saving money. The up side is you can drink better wine without paying a premium. To avoid the corkage, open in the cabin and take a giant glass to dinner or take the open bottle.

1 hour ago, indy406 said:

I'm not clear on what happens if I have the classic drink package and order a drink from the premium list. Do I pay the difference between classic and premium price or do I pay the full premium price. I thought it was the former but have seen a couple of postings where it's allegedly the latter.

FYI, I ordered a Bailey's on the rocks on our last cruise and the bartender said it wasn't on the classic package. I said, fine, whatever, do what's appropriate on the charge. He said, "nah, forget it." Nice, and that was before a put a tip on the bar.

You pay the difference in both the price of the drink and the difference in the gratuity.

6 hours ago, indy406 said:

Often they just charge it at nothing extra.  If you have premium pkg with $17 allowance an $18 drink with be $1 plus 20% gratuity.

32 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

Each adult in the cabin is allowed 2 bottles of wine at embarkation, take advantage of this for saving money. The up side is you can drink better wine without paying a premium. To avoid the corkage, open in the cabin and take a giant glass to dinner or take the open bottle.

Taking the bottle open into the dining room does not avoid the corkage fee.  The fee applies whether you bring in a screw too bottle, open bottle or bottle with a cork 

• Like 1

Just now, jelayne said:

Taking the bottle open into the dining room does not avoid the corkage fee.  The fee applies whether you bring in a screw too bottle, open bottle or bottle with a cork 

Good to know, thank you.

8 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I am fairly certain it is for one single bottle (but I don't mind being wrong). 

Back in the day, when the Captains Club benefits were handed out as a sheet of coupons, there was a single coupon for a wine bottle discount that you had to surrender when you used it: Captains Club Elite Member Coupon (12 night sailing or more)

The above link is a scan of the front and back of the sheet (including the fine print).  Here is a screenshot of the coupon front:

image.png.4c6dab2f39e6db3963bb397d9e675a10.png

When you look at the language in the current Captains Club brochure, it simply says "Discount on any bottle of wine".  The $40 minimum is gone (maybe because they are all priced above $40!! just kidding) so it is different now at least in that respect.  Because of the coupon days, I read that as one single bottle, but I would be happy to be wrong about that.

I would also think that if you could buy multiple wine bottles at 20% off thru the loyalty discount, it would make the wine packages less attractive.

It's now confirmed.  CC discount on bottles of wine is unlimited. 

Thanks everyone for the  great info.

And, mahdnc, I won't be disappointed with the line today. The line as it was 10 years ago, was nothing like it was 20 years ago... and that was the big disappointment!   The good thing that came from ten years ago, was that we tried Royal Caribbean and Princess, and they were just fine, too. More choices of lines for us. 

Bill

1 hour ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

It's now confirmed.  CC discount on bottles of wine is unlimited. 

That sounds excellent. 

31 minutes ago, spearmint said:

Thanks everyone for the  great info.

And, mahdnc, I won't be disappointed with the line today. The line as it was 10 years ago, was nothing like it was 20 years ago... and that was the big disappointment!   The good thing that came from ten years ago, was that we tried Royal Caribbean and Princess, and they were just fine, too. More choices of lines for us. 

Bill

I was thinking EXACTLY that when I made that post: Celebrity now vs 10 years ago vs 20 years ago. 3 different experiences. 

I think you'll find that Celebrity do still do the multi-bottle wine packages, they were listed in the wine menu in the MDR on my Reflection cruise last month and seemed like a reasonable value. I didn't take too much notice as I had a beverage package but you might find that this is still an option when you cruise, and you could use your OBC to pay for it.

Andy.