Beverage package with kids?

15 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

But, don't you have to buy the refreshment package for the kids?   One level down from the alcohol one.  

If you were talking about an adult, yes ... but the rules are different for kids. 

Let me throw out another thought:  When my girls were teens (I don't have any idea how old your kids are), I bought them the soda package because I didn't want them to feel obligated to finish a drink that'd been out of their sight, even for a moment.  I also emphasized to them that they were only to accept a drink from the hand of a bartender /not another teen. 

Maybe I was overly cautious, but we never had any trouble.  When my grandson's a teen, I'll do the same for him.   

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If you were talking about an adult, yes ... but the rules are different for kids. 

Let me throw out another thought:  When my girls were teens (I don't have any idea how old your kids are), I bought them the soda package because I didn't want them to feel obligated to finish a drink that'd been out of their sight, even for a moment.  I also emphasized to them that they were only to accept a drink from the hand of a bartender /not another teen. 

Maybe I was overly cautious, but we never had any trouble.  When my grandson's a teen, I'll do the same for him.   

That is a good idea.  I remember when I was young drinking age I was really poor.   Well, not super-poor, but poor enough that drinks were precious.  I kept a close watch on my drinks just because I didn't want them tossed.  When I was just past that age, news started to come out about guys drugging girl's drinks.  My mom asked me about that.  I thought about it and realized I'd accidentally kept myself safe.  

At the moment, I have soda packages for the girls.  DD will be 13 and we are bringing her friend who will be 14.  DD only really drinks by choice water and milk.   But she is interested in what other people are drinking and wants some and then it is too sweet so only has a couple of sips, so I got it for her too so she didn't feel left out or that she was on a budget.   I just made a note on my cruise document to remind them to do what you said about drinks.  We are also bringing her friend so that DD won't be solo.  

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

... I remember when I was young drinking age I was really poor ... news started to come out about guys drugging girl's drinks ... 

I can relate to all of that.  We must be close in age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moposh said:

What age?  Is it 12 and under are kids (according to RC) that you don't have to buy a package for or anyone under 18?

Anyone under 21 you do not have to buy a package if you are buying the DBP and sharing a room.  ONLY those over 21 need to purchase the DBP if another one is purchasing it OR the refreshment package if the other adult has a solid excuse for not having the DBP too.

45 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

OR the refreshment package if the other adult has a solid excuse for not having the DBP too.

In all my cruises I have never needed a "solid" excuse.  I just call in and tell them I want to buy one DBP for me and one RP for my wife.  Only once was ever even asked a follow up question. To which the answer was... "She doesn't drink".  No further questions.  Every other time they just go ahead and charge my card and it's done. 

20 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

In all my cruises I have never needed a "solid" excuse.  I just call in and tell them I want to buy one DBP for me and one RP for my wife.  Only once was ever even asked a follow up question. To which the answer was... "She doesn't drink".  No further questions.  Every other time they just go ahead and charge my card and it's done. 

Good to know - I haven't ever not just bought for all adults as we were all going to use the DBP, but I do have friends and family that this would apply to so I'll let them know!

• Like 1