Elegant Night Gown

ciship

Ladies, where are you ordering or getting your dresses for formal night?  I can't find anything I like.  I've tried Amazon, Shein, Nordstrom, Dillards, Macy's, etc.  HELP!!

I don’t think there are as many ‘gowns’ around. The only ones I’ve seen are for teens (prom). Maybe try a consignment store?

We just finished a 13 night cruise and there were only a handful of long gowns. Cocktail length was most common. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

I don’t think there are as many ‘gowns’ around. The only ones I’ve seen are for teens (prom). Maybe try a consignment store?

We just finished a 13 night cruise and there were only a handful of long gowns. Cocktail length was most common. 

Hmmm....well, that's sad.  Gowns are so lovely.  Thank you for the input.

Anyone open this thinking it was about sleep clothing?  

Back to the point:  My grandmother owned many evening gowns and regularly attended club meetings, etc. where it was appropriate to wear such items.  That was a different era.  

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Anyone open this thinking it was about sleep clothing?  

Back to the point:  My grandmother owned many evening gowns and regularly attended club meetings, etc. where it was appropriate to wear such items.  That was a different era.  

Yes, I thought the title was referring to sleepwear as well. As to formal wear, I am not a dress gal so as long as I have dressy slacks and a pretty top? That is my evening attire on formal nights.

To to OP, have you tried Dillard's? They always have a big dress dept....and a full dept of long dresses/formalwear.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Yes, I thought the title was referring to sleepwear as well. As to formal wear, I am not a dress gal so as long as I have dressy slacks and a pretty top? That is my evening attire on formal nights.

To to OP, have you tried Dillard's? They always have a big dress dept....and a full dept of long dresses/formalwear.

Yes, I have looked at Dillards.  I'll check them again after Prom season is over.

I guess where I live we don't call pajamas "gowns".  Especially "Elegant" ones which was in my title.  I would change the title if they would let me edit.  LOL

6 minutes ago, ciship said:

Yes, I have looked at Dillards.  I'll check them again after Prom season is over.

I guess where I live we don't call pajamas "gowns".  Especially "Elegant" ones which was in my title.  I would change the title if they would let me edit.  LOL

Its ok🙂.....I don't wear night gowns so for me? A pair of pjs is my usual. And the bottoms are usually capri length or shorts.  But they make some elegant night gowns out there too......so that is what I originally thought you were asking about.

1 hour ago, ciship said:

Try after New Year's too.  We found one of my daughters' prom dresses on a clearance rack after New Year's.  Super nice dress, and I think it cost about $30.  

1 hour ago, ciship said:

In my world I call two-piece sleepwear with shorts /pants on the bottom "pajamas" and one-piece dress-like sleepwear "nightgowns". 

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

... But they make some elegant night gowns out there too......so that is what I originally thought you were asking about.

I'd like to have some elegant nightgowns, but I don't see them in stores anymore.  I thought maybe the world had lost interest?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Try after New Year's too.  We found one of my daughters' prom dresses on a clearance rack after New Year's.  Super nice dress, and I think it cost about $30.  

In my world I call two-piece sleepwear with shorts /pants on the bottom "pajamas" and one-piece dress-like sleepwear "nightgowns". 

I'd like to have some elegant nightgowns, but I don't see them in stores anymore.  I thought maybe the world had lost interest?  

Have you tried Soma? They have a variety of sleepwear...night gowns included and I mentioned Dillard's....they have a big lingerie dept. 

Just now, Lois R said:

Have you tried Soma? They have a variety of sleepwear...night gowns included and I mentioned Dillard's....they have a big lingerie dept. 

I'm looking for an evening gown.  Not a nightgown.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ciship said:

I'm looking for an evening gown.  Not a nightgown.

I know...I was replying to the previous poster.🙂...see the quote

Depending on what cruiseline you’re on you might be the only one in a gown

i just bought this on Amazon for $50 For a black tie wedding in July.  Check gowns under Alex Evenings on Amazon

31F5C16E-4B98-401E-9B01-9206FCE9331C.png

• Like 4

I do wear gowns (long, dressy dresses) on cruises, because they are elegant and dressed up, and sometimes because if seas are rough and the Captain announces "due to rough weather I ask the ladies please to not wear the high heels", I can wear flats and no one will notice.  My husband would not go on a cruise without his tuxedo, so I always need to make the effort to match his formality.

Most of my gowns, over the years, have come from consignment or thrift stores. Back when we had a car, making the rounds of thrift stores was one of our weekly activities.  Probably worn once, if that, and all of very high quality.  I just wish I had more in colors other than black!

The idea of nightgowns never occurred to me, or I would not have even read this post!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Depending on what cruiseline you’re on you might be the only one in a gown

i just bought this on Amazon for $50 For a black tie wedding in July.  Check gowns under Alex Evenings on Amazon

31F5C16E-4B98-401E-9B01-9206FCE9331C.png

That was really helpful.  Thank you

• Like 2

Dressing elegant is my favorite part of the cruise. Many may dislike it but we will not be stopping. I get mine at department stores after prom season. I've gotten some really nice ones for decent prices. Not poofy ball gowns but really pretty gowns. My last one I actually bought second hand from a resale app. I dieted for months to get it to look really good haha but my husband fell in love all over again so it was a win!! It was red lace and had some shimmer. It was very low cut ( but had mesh inset) and a very slight train. Stunning and so not me but that was the best part.

I even found a really pretty ones at Marshalls. 

• Like 7

My legs are too long to buy an evening gown, so I've always sewn them myself.  My tastes are really simple, so I've made some stunning gowns over the years.  It's always fun looking for special 'statement' earrings, especially on Amazon.  You might want to look around your town for someone who sews and/or tailors and have a special gown made.  And please continue to look elegant and classy on formal nights!  The world needs the balance against all the people who dress like slobs.  

• Like 7

I am shopping for a few cocktail dresses and I will probably take a few long dresses as well. We are celebrating our anniversary and a birthday, so I want to dress up and enjoy this cruise. I have ordered these, we will see what actually makes the suitcase, lol. I have a long black dress and a jumpsuit that will go in the mix. 

unnamed (18).jpg

unnamed (17).jpg

unnamed (16).jpg

marshalls.jpg

unnamed (19).jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, ciship said:

Hmmm....well, that's sad.  Gowns are so lovely.  Thank you for the input.

My go-to used to be Dress Barn but they have just a handful now. Nordstrom seems to have a big selection although prices will be higher. 

Another option may be Von Mahr. 

• Like 1

I wish I could just wear a frilly black cocktail dress, but I just hate my legs.  I always wear a long gown, or chiffon pallazo pants with an elegant top.  I LOVE formal night and seeing all the elegant suits on men, and dresses on women.  It's also the night when we have all our photos done.  Thank you for all your suggestions everyone!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

I am shopping for a few cocktail dresses and I will probably take a few long dresses as well. We are celebrating our anniversary and a birthday, so I want to dress up and enjoy this cruise. I have ordered these, we will see what actually makes the suitcase, lol. I have a long black dress and a jumpsuit that will go in the mix. 

unnamed (18).jpg

unnamed (17).jpg

unnamed (16).jpg

marshalls.jpg

unnamed (19).jpg

Love both pinks & the black 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ciship said:

I wish I could just wear a frilly black cocktail dress, but I just hate my legs.  I always wear a long gown, or chiffon pallazo pants with an elegant top.  I LOVE formal night and seeing all the elegant suits on men, and dresses on women.  It's also the night when we have all our photos done.  Thank you for all your suggestions everyone!

I love my palazzo pants & sparkly tops (& they’re so easy to pack!!)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I love my palazzo pants & sparkly tops (& they’re so easy to pack!!)

That sounds like my style too🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ciship said:

You would be very happy on a Cunard ship ... the formal nights' ensembles are incredible.  We've done plenty of formal nights in the past, so now we get a glass of champagne and sit watching everyone parade by for late seating.  Think red sequined sheaths with 5" red heels.  It's really fun.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lois R said:

I don't know Soma -- I guess it's something we don't have here.  I don't go to Dillard's often (kinda out of my way), but I will give it a shot; I'll check them out online right now.  

20 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

... Most of my gowns, over the years, have come from consignment or thrift stores ... 

Most of my clothes come from such places -- or Ebay.  I can always find a great selection at low prices, so why should I pay more?  I have a couple favorite brands with sizes that're sure, and I mostly stick to them.  

16 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Dressing elegant is my favorite part of the cruise. Many may dislike it but we will not be stopping ... 

It's not my favorite thing, but you're absolutely not going to be inappropriate if you dress "elegantly".  

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

My legs are too long to buy an evening gown ... 

You and I are opposites.  At 4'11", I always have to hem things.  

14 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

unnamed (18).jpg

unnamed (17).jpg

unnamed (16).jpg

marshalls.jpg

unnamed (19).jpg

Those would fit in well on most cruise ship's "formal nights".  

8 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

My go-to used to be Dress Barn ... 

I used to enjoy Dress Barn, but they're gone from my area now.  I find that odd because I live in a booming area!  Seriously, housing, retail and industrial areas pop up overnight here, and our roads need widening.  So how'd they go out of biz?  

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

I love my palazzo pants ... 

Hate 'em.  Being short, they're totally wrong for me.  Though my height/weight are proportional, I'd look like a little fire hydrant ... wide and short.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

So I went to the Dillard's website, and I remember why I don't shop at Dillard's.  Yikes they have some seriously ugly things under the Women's tab.  I mean, really, this woman looks like she was caught in a cotton candy explosion.  

But they do have some nice nightgowns ... Penny's used to sell similar things, but they don't seem to any more.  I know I have at least one Miss Elaine name brand nightgown, which I like. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1