Organization tips for the Magic

This is our first time traveling with our daughter (age 6) and I'm trying to start planning on how to keep the clutter to a manageable level so I don't go crazy. It looks like at least one interior wall in the Family Deluxe Ocean View cabins is magnetic. Is that accurate? I'd love to bring hooks/clips to keep the clutter to a manageable level.  

Also, it looks like the hallway is pretty narrow, so my normal hack of an over the door shoe organizer on the outside of the bathroom doors is probably out. Anyone have tips for keeping the shoe clutter contained? 

Any other kid crap organization tips for this stateroom? 58 days til we depart! Woohoo! 

1 minute ago, Essiesmom said:

The hallway isn’t any narrower, just looks that way because it is longer to accommodate the second half bath and extra closet.  EM

Do you think a shoe organizer or two would be constantly in the way or would I be good? I hate banging into things as much as I hate clutter. LOL

After you unpack your suitcases you could keep one open and use it like a drawer under your bed especially for "kid crap"😊.  Slide it out and your DD picks out one or two things to play with then slide back under bed.  I would tell my DDs when they were little that if they wanted a different toy/book/thing that they needed to put what was out away in the "bed drawer" and pick out the "new thing".  Kept our cabin a little less crazy.  Hope that helps!!

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

After you unpack your suitcases you could keep one open and use it like a drawer under your bed especially for "kid crap"😊.  Slide it out and your DD picks out one or two things to play with then slide back under bed.  I would tell my DDs when they were little that if they wanted a different toy/book/thing that they needed to put what was out away in the "bed drawer" and pick out the "new thing".  Kept our cabin a little less crazy.  Hope that helps!!

Have a wonderful cruise!

What is a DD?

On 5/5/2023 at 10:24 AM, JenCruise710 said:

Do you think a shoe organizer or two would be constantly in the way or would I be good? I hate banging into things as much as I hate clutter. LOL

We cruised the Magic with our then- teen-aged son. We had not problem using an over the door organizer for all out toiletries and miscellaneous "stuff." It was a huge help!

9 hours ago, JenCruise710 said:

Can anyone confirm the magnetic walls inside the staterooms? 

The walls and ceiling are magnetic.

If you want some privacy when changing clothes (or don't want to swelter in the bathroom after taking a shower and would like to open the bathroom door to get some air) I recommend some strong magnetic hooks and a cheap shower curtain. We hung it from the ceiling between the main room and the hallway where the closets are and it made a nice changing area.

The walls are metal so the magnetic hooks are a great way to get organized. We hang belts, purses, jewelry, hats, lanyards, etc on them.  I also recommend a pop up hamper for dirty clothes and a shower organizer for shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, razor, shaving cream, etc 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We cruised the Magic with our then- teen-aged son. We had not problem using an over the door organizer for all out toiletries and miscellaneous "stuff." It was a huge help!

Did you hang it on the outside of the door in the hall or inside the bathroom? I usually do both - shoes on the outside, toiletries on the inside. 

On 5/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, mz-s said:

Pack everything you think you'll need, then take half of it out.

Ha. Yeah, I think we're going to be "those people" this first time around with the kid. Way too much crap "just in case"

You can also bring a couple collapsible cubes (they pack flat in bottom of suitcase then pop up into shape when used) and use one for all the kid shoes/flip flops/sneakers and maybe a 2nd one for a makeshift toy box (to keep all the little toys, books and such.  Being they are movable you can put them out of the way in a corner or next to couch/bed so DD can reach things etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JenCruise710 said:

Ha. Yeah, I think we're going to be "those people" this first time around with the kid. Way too much crap "just in case"

Well that's normal, and perhaps more so for a cruise than any other vacation because you can't just hop down to the nearest Walgreens when you're in the middle of the Caribbean Sea.

Just keep in mind that you're rarely more than ~24 hours from land on most itineraries, so you don't need to pack literally everything. There are little stores that carry pretty much everything you need within walking distance of pretty much all ports of call.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JenCruise710 said:

Did you hang it on the outside of the door in the hall or inside the bathroom? I usually do both - shoes on the outside, toiletries on the inside. 

We actually hung it on the outside of one of the closet doors. Worked great!

• Like 1