Port of Livorno regulations - Only beer and wine allowed????

gregluk

3 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I am still not convinced.  They have thrown out a badly written sign.  It includes typos.  The sign says that extra tax will be charged when drinks are served.  It does not say IF drinks will be served or not.  NCL have made such a hash of this, I no longer believe them.  I do not feel valued. 

This is from gusts currently on the Epic, why should they not tell the truth? 2 has confirmed this. 

As I remember there was also tax/VAT on the drinks in ports when we cruised with Epic in September 2021 so the Tax/Vat on drinks package is not new! 

36 minutes ago, Krydstosser said:
36 minutes ago, Krydstosser said:

This is from gusts currently on the Epic, why should they not tell the truth? 2 has confirmed this. 

As I remember there was also tax/VAT on the drinks in ports when we cruised with Epic in September 2021 so the Tax/Vat on drinks package is not new! 

I am not disputing that guests are saying they are being served right now.  I believe tax is being added, it happened to us on one of our Barcelona cruises a good few years ago.    I just wonder if it is actually sorted.    This issue and whether they serve no alcohol/only to package guests/only wine and beer - has been popping up for at least a year.  

The notice was somewhat obscure - so I just am not convinced that it really is over.   Lack of trust I suppose.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum
Typed in wrong place

4 hours ago, Krydstosser said:

I got this from a current guest on NCL Epic in the Port of Livorno today! 

looks like NCL has paid for their Alcohol License and this is solved,

Better late than never... 

EB7E18F6-6418-4D4C-A8E8-A7DE33EE6FCC.jpeg

What way are you interpreting this Krydstosser? My initial reading (pessimistic) is that NCL will add VAT to every transaction and that they might even issue a cheque for the VAT for beverage package transactions? Or have passengers clarified that it is all ok and I further charges?

I wish NCL could write a clear message!

Edit:  oh, I think you just saying that spirits can now be served? But still the dreaded VAT! 

Edited by podgeandrodge
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 2:37 PM, podgeandrodge said:

What way are you interpreting this Krydstosser? My initial reading (pessimistic) is that NCL will add VAT to every transaction and that they might even issue a cheque for the VAT for beverage package transactions? Or have passengers clarified that it is all ok and I further charges?

I wish NCL could write a clear message!

Edit:  oh, I think you just saying that spirits can now be served? But still the dreaded VAT! 

I am sure that vat will be added every time you order a drink on the if you has a drink package, but my point is that now you can get a drink at least. 

When I was on Epic in september 2021 I think that I recall that they also added Vat to every Spirit/Alcohol order when in port. So that is not new. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 9:27 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

I am still not convinced.  They have thrown out a badly written sign.  It includes typos.  The sign says that extra tax will be charged when drinks are served.  It does not say IF drinks will be served or not.  NCL have made such a hash of this, I no longer believe them.  I do not feel valued. 

I understood - across the whole of the EU - that the price DISPLAYED has to be the fully inclusive price and cannot be for example 'plus taxes or VAT' or 'plus credit-card service charge', unless that charge is optional (e.g. an 'optional' gratuity).  Showing that on the check is too late; it has to be on the pre-purchase price list or price tag, and even then shown as a single fully-inclusive figure.

If I'm correct, then NCL could be in for another fall with authorities in the EU.

Edited by fruitmachine
  • Like 3

On 5/25/2023 at 11:54 AM, Krydstosser said:

Most European ports has Tax/Vat on Alcohol/Spirits so when in port and you will get charged. 

It looks like NCL still only serve Beer and Wine in Italian an Spanish ports. I believe they did not paid for an Alcohol License. RCL, Celebrity, P&O does serve when in ports. 

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

We do indeed.  Our Meet and Greets are sometimes held in the Brew House.  They put a sign up at the entrance stating “Closed for Private Function”.  Granted, we’re only there for an hour or so.  But, if given enough participants, we’ll dominate a venue even after the Meet and Greet is over.

OL?  That’s a really big space.  I’m surprised someone had enough people to fill the entire OL.  Then again, I’ve only been in the OL on Breakaway Plus ships.  Maybe the Prima’s is smaller.

I have had alcohol on a NCL cruises in Greece and Spain, this is a NCL problem. I hope they sort it out soon. I can only ever remember paying tax on drinks in the port of Miami. 

46 minutes ago, ppcox said:

I have had alcohol on a NCL cruises in Greece and Spain, this is a NCL problem. I hope they sort it out soon. I can only ever remember paying tax on drinks in the port of Miami. 

The way it was explained to me, it’s not an NCL problem per se.  

NCL breaks out taxes on their Free at Sea. Other cruise lines just add the taxes in and raise the fare to cover them.

Plus, you don’t actually buy the drinks in port with Free at Sea.  That’s a fare addendum that’s priced before you sail when you book!  

If you don’t book a Free at Sea fare, you buy your drinks a la carte, which can’t be served unless you pay the VAT/taxes!  Europe doesn’t allow them to break out taxes separately.  So, only Those with FAS (which is booked when you pay your fare before you sail) can get drinks!

I think there’s an answer.  But, it would involve a major reworking of their Point of Sale system that would allow NCL to add taxes to drinks ordered a la carts and without the drink package.

That’s probably a very small number of guests without Free at Sea, and probably not a priority for so few guests.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: A friend of mine is on the Breakaway right now. He said there is no problem getting drinks while the ship is in port in Civitavecchia. I'll stay in touch with him this week to see if there are any issues getting drinks in Italy or Greece.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

we are on Getaway

started in Civitiveccia and so far LIvorno Villefranche Marseilles and Barcelona

no restriction on drinks and no signs up at guest services

so looks like the outcry worked 

Or the whole thing was a tempest in a teapot to begin with. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 5:22 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Or the whole thing was a tempest in a teapot to begin with. 😉

Are you implying the signs weren’t real or that the local authorities in these ports just suddenly changed their laws? 

this is clearly NCL’s doing - whatever they weren’t prepared to do earlier in the season they’ve changed their mind 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 8:58 AM, Greener123 said:

Are you implying the signs weren’t real or that the local authorities in these ports just suddenly changed their laws? 

this is clearly NCL’s doing - whatever they weren’t prepared to do earlier in the season they’ve changed their mind 

Whatever you say, chief. 😉