Whisper: May 3 to June 2

zqtchas

7 hours ago, LDaQuirm said:

Sad to see so many people not sanitising before entering the restaurants ..

That is part of the reason I have a real dislike of Buffets. It's a shame to have such little faith in your fellow passengers but I've witnessed things over the years that leave me never wanting to eat from a self serve Buffet ever again. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

That is part of the reason I have a real dislike of Buffets. It's a shame to have such little faith in your fellow passengers but I've witnessed things over the years that leave me never wanting to eat from a self serve Buffet ever again. 

I saw a woman at the sushi section of a buffet pick up the chopsticks that were for the wasabi and lick them and put then back.

I had that section closed down immediately by helpful staff.

I hate buffets.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2023 at 9:36 PM, zqtchas said:

Another first for me in over 650 days……

The other morning we are getting on the elevator heading for a tour.  I see a couple coming so I hold the door. He gets on and holds the elevator door open while chatting with his wife. He goes back and forth a few times. So l said to him make up your mind, on or off? He turns to me and threatens to pound me and says “ me wife don’t even talk to me like that” . I saw him leaving the restaurant last night upset for being refused entry for no jacket.

I actually saw near fisty cuffs on a boat ride in Seward 4 days ago. Passengers were on the inside "whale waiting" and some outside in the passage. Banging on windows and aggressively telling people to move. A German guy moved to the side but no further. Big guy aged about 45. Out pops the 80 Y/O Aussie trying to push him out the way. I had visions of someone ending in the 3C waters! The German doesn't budge. The Aussie squares up in his face, knees him and takes a swing with a boot. I think both their cruises were spoiled through this most unnecessary confrontation. 

On 5/10/2023 at 1:58 PM, zqtchas said:

Dinner tonight was very good. Special was prime rib and service has been also  very good. Left Japanese waters so the masks on staff have come off. Rough seas expected again tonight on the way to Dutch Harbor. Clocks ahead 2 hours tonight.

Yes, the clocks going back and forward really is a killer on your cruise. We arrived back home 2 days ago from a similar schedule to yours. I'm still wide awake in the early hours and so tired in the afternoon. Going though so many time zones one after the other isn't much fun. We found ourselves never getting up for breakfast. First for me that to miss that day after day! Quite depressing.

Hopefully you got to get off in Dutch Harbor. We didn't. Our berth got taken by commercial and Navy ships. Then in Kodiak, no berth there either and expected to be too rough to Anchor and tender. So our Alaska stops both lost and obviously the Russian one too, made a pretty miserable and long crossing from Japan to Seward. No fun in Sea Days without the sun. Weather was horrid and like you have, quite rough. Muse handled it very well I have to say. 

Not sure if you got to berth in Miyako? Not much there for tourists, but the people who took the full brunt from the Tsunami, are probably the most exceptionally friendly people on the planet. The send off was like no other. Made us feel quite humble and probably the thing I won't forget from this cruise. I will see if I can upload some of the video I took. They should recess Triv for these departures when they clash.

Missing all the stops, bad weather and train cancelled really put a dampener on our Osaka to Seward cruise. 

• Thanks 2

Les, that excursion event sounds horrible😧☹️ the guy actually kicked the other one? OMG...what is wrong with people??

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Les, that excursion event sounds horrible😧☹️ the guy actually kicked the other one? OMG...what is wrong with people??

Yes, but a sly kick. I doubt it hurt. The knee was worse. The German man could have flattened him but just stood his ground and wasn’t going to be pushed around. I expect everyone on the inside probably saw it, but only a couple on the outside. I actually had spoken with the Aussie guy several times and seemed a nice guy. Clearly not!

As promised, just uploaded a section of the video taken on my phone of our departure. These friendly welcoming people who had been at the dock from before our arrival in the morning and long after we’d left waiving and shouting their thanks for visiting and come back soon.

A highly positive moment from my cruise a week ahead of yours. Did you see it too? I’m absolutely certain they would have done similar? Hope you are ok with sharing. No hijack intended. If you watch all the way, you will see what I mean. I was honestly blown away.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, les37b said:

As promised, just uploaded a section of the video taken on my phone of our departure. These friendly welcoming people who had been at the dock from before our arrival in the morning and long after we’d left waiving and shouting their thanks for visiting and come back soon.

A highly positive moment from my cruise a week ahead of yours. Did you see it too? I’m absolutely certain they would have done similar? Hope you are ok with sharing. No hijack intended. If you watch all the way, you will see what I mean. I was honestly blown away.

OK with me.

staff masks are back on.
fresh salmon tonight.

vigorous rocking again tonight . Was cloudy and rainy again/still.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, les37b said:

I actually saw near fisty cuffs on a boat ride in Seward 4 days ago. Passengers were on the inside "whale waiting" and some outside in the passage. Banging on windows and aggressively telling people to move. A German guy moved to the side but no further. Big guy aged about 45. Out pops the 80 Y/O Aussie trying to push him out the way. I had visions of someone ending in the 3C waters! The German doesn't budge. The Aussie squares up in his face, knees him and takes a swing with a boot. I think both their cruises were spoiled through this most unnecessary confrontation. 

Yes, the clocks going back and forward really is a killer on your cruise. We arrived back home 2 days ago from a similar schedule to yours. I'm still wide awake in the early hours and so tired in the afternoon. Going though so many time zones one after the other isn't much fun. We found ourselves never getting up for breakfast. First for me that to miss that day after day! Quite depressing.

Hopefully you got to get off in Dutch Harbor. We didn't. Our berth got taken by commercial and Navy ships. Then in Kodiak, no berth there either and expected to be too rough to Anchor and tender. So our Alaska stops both lost and obviously the Russian one too, made a pretty miserable and long crossing from Japan to Seward. No fun in Sea Days without the sun. Weather was horrid and like you have, quite rough. Muse handled it very well I have to say. 

Not sure if you got to berth in Miyako? Not much there for tourists, but the people who took the full brunt from the Tsunami, are probably the most exceptionally friendly people on the planet. The send off was like no other. Made us feel quite humble and probably the thing I won't forget from this cruise. I will see if I can upload some of the video I took. They should recess Triv for these departures when they clash.

Missing all the stops, bad weather and train cancelled really put a dampener on our Osaka to Seward cruise. 

We've been lucky on Whisper behind Muse some good sea days even sun bed and hot tub weather.. No fights yet! We did get into Dutch Harbor today .. (remember check your insurance if you miss ports ours pays out £150 pp perport) which was great.  Silversea have cancelled our train from Seaward as well though not impressed especially as the excuse given doesn't ring true (the scheduled train is running). 

We loved Miyako and all Japanese ports .. how come they have tour buses that are immaculate and America has ripped seats and a dashboard of fault lights ( tour guides were lovely in both countries so far though).  

Food on Whisper has been great other than strawberry compost tonight they were past their best days ago I guess Silversea won't pay Japanese prices for them!

• Like 1

I think the food started out a little iffy,  but has since improved. Have had conversations with some involved with the food department. There was promised fresh Salmon last night and more promised down the line. Especially the next 2 cruises, which we are on. 

Large portion of those on board are remaining on for the next one . We are the only couple staying on for the 3rd.

Must say I am impressed with the improvement of the internet. Even with the amount of people on board it is pretty fast.

Have not seen any Lava cake being served yet. Must inquire!

Edited by zqtchas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, zqtchas said:

I think the food started out a little iffy,  but has since improved. Have had conversations with some involved with the food department. There was promised fresh Salmon last night and more promised down the line. Especially the next 2 cruises, which we are on. 

Large portion of those on board are remaining on for the next one . We are the only couple staying on for the 3rd.

Must say I am impressed with the improvement of the internet. Even with the amount of people on board it is pretty fast.

Have not seen any Lava cake being served yet. Must inquire!

Sadly we have work especially our son so off at Seaward enjoy!

• Thanks 1

So many coughs and sniffles on the excursion today the tour guide obtained cough sweets for those who wanted them. 

Then rather disconcerted when someone announced they have double pneumonia but as they are being treated they aren't infectious I'm sorry that's not the case I've seen it too many times if you have it your infectious for most forms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I believe Hubbard Glacier is a tricky location because of weather.  We couldn't even get into the bay because of too much sea ice (end of June 2013).

We did get to see it and zodiac up close in 2019 on the Mews

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I believe Hubbard Glacier is a tricky location because of weather.  We couldn't even get into the bay because of too much sea ice (end of June 2013).

Sounds like we were lucky then on the Shadow in 2008. Those were the days I used to dress like Fletcher. 😉

IMG_3518.jpeg

• Like 7